Project Retro Racer

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

GeekSpeed
Approved Member

Project Retro Racer

Post by GeekSpeed »

Hi everyone. Well, it’s official, I am starting my Retro Racer project. I’m gonna build my old gold pan RC10 up so that I can show all these youngin’s how we did it old skool. Of course, I got this buggy when I was 10 and have never raced off-road, but that is beside the point…

Moving right along, here is what I am planning to do. I want to basically build a team car with the stealth tranny, longer front suspension arms and shocks, etc, on my gold pan chassis. I also want to use gold shocks all around as well. I know that is not going to be the most competitive set-up, but the cool factor should make up for it. What length shocks should I use up front? I think they are .71, but I’m not sure. I need to get some wheels and tires as well, and this is proving to be a bit of a dilemma. The only ones I can seem to find are the dish type wheels (for 2.2in tires). Do you guys know of anywhere that I can get non-dish wheels for the 2.2 tires?

The other problem I am facing is the body. I have been reading the thread posted here about the supposed continuation of the Protech body, but I am not holding my breath. I am just going to have to hope that these things go back into production.

For electrics, I am going to run a Monster Stock motor, an LRP Sport ESC, a Futaba RJ152 receiver and a Futaba S3003 servo. Batteries will be 3000 NiMH packs (which I need to figure out how to make fit…).

The car is starting off in pretty good shape. I will post some pics tonight when I get home. Any helpful suggestions would me most appreciated.

JK Racing

Re: Project Retro Racer

Post by JK Racing »

In the "general" section, for the '07 ifmar worlds, I posted a picture of new spoked type 2.2 wheels coming out by J Concepts, they may be a while off though...

Make sure to upgrade your turnbuckles, and use a team front shock tower, has most shock tuning points. I will start a thread on my own build up also, once more of my parts start hitting my doorstep.

I agree about the body issue, until we actually "see" the repro bodies, I am very hesitant to even touch the viper body I have.
--Joey --
Vintage A&L and Factory Works
Old School Racer & Vintage RC Car nut
JKRacingRC.com

GeekSpeed
Approved Member

Post by GeekSpeed »

Ok, so I didn’t get a chance to upload any pictures last night, but I hope to do so today. Anyway, I have made a list of parts that I think I will need. I added the part numbers where I had them, but I am missing a few. Any suggestions on what I need or do not need based on this? Thanks!

Stealth tranny
48 pitch gears
Long front arms – 6206
Protech body – 6160
Wing – 6181
Antenna tube
Front shock tower – 6231
Front turnbuckles
Front shocks – 6422
Shock rebuild kit – 6440
Axles, pins, shims – 7378, 7369, 7368
Bearings – 9277
Bell crank – 6254
Bell crank bearings – 6897
2.2 Wheels
2.2 Tires
Shock Oil
Springs

aconsola
Approved Member

Post by aconsola »

Don't buy AE bearings. they are way overpriced, I would go to avidrc.com, every bearing is just a buck each. They can be had even cheaper through ebay if you do a search, but avid has good quality, no minimum and quick service.

The 6254 bellcranks are expensive if you don't luck into them locally, I just sold a few sets(plastic only) on ebay, $16-25 each, add to that the cost of the bearings, and you would be better off getting the Mip BB steering kit which is still available at tower still.

Given the cost of buying individual components such as a complete stealth transmission, the bb steering and the turnbuckle set, you would probably be better off buying a complete car. You can get one with nice components for 125-ish with decent hopups and a stealth. Doing so would also give you plenty of spares and keep you from having to drill out an A-chassis.

-Anthony