The uglyness spreads....

For all things R/C, post '90s to today.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

SMOKE-DOG
Approved Member

Re: The uglyness spreads....

Post by SMOKE-DOG »

Are you serious? That is the worst body I have ever seen. It looks like it's in a funhouse mirror or something. If I had taken a break from R/C about 10 years ago and suddenly had the urge to get back into it and I happened to google "modern R/C buggy" just to see what's the new thing and this came up? I would throw up on my laptop and never consider getting back into R/C again. This would kill it for me.

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

markt311 wrote:The company is named FTW, For The Win. I think that thing is called the night stalker or something. Anyway its just about the ugliest thing I've seen. I don't mind the whole cab forward thing on trucks or 8th scale cars, but on a 2wd buggy it just looks... umm.... like poop.
So they named their company after an Internet acronym? ...Great

If thats the route they wanted to take they should have went with Coelacanth's suggestion.

fredswain
Approved Member

Post by fredswain »

I remember back in the day I thought the Parma Eagle body was horribly ugly. My friend Chad still runs one! It looks downright gorgeous compared to the cab forward FTL bodies though.
Raborn Racing Originals Shapeways store

Diggley
Approved Member

Post by Diggley »

CAT3K wrote:How about this one?

It's the new FTW Fox XL for the long wheel base modified B4.1

I quite like it :lol:

Paul.

Ummm,

BLECCCH! :oops:

Is it any wonder that the buggy class is dead if this is what's offered?
Projects and shelfers:
Late Edinger, RC10B2, Dual Sport, GT, Kyosho Turbo Ultima, Triumph, Tamiya Sand Scorcher, Blackfoot/Monster Beetle, '67 Beetle, Nikko Rhino, Traxxas Fiero, Slash, Hand-built Dune Buggy..all on here somewhere...

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

They've somehow managed to make an offroad buggy resemble a Pekinese. That's what it reminds me of, especially the profile. :lol:

Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

purpletimbo
Approved Member

Post by purpletimbo »

May i remind you it is dinnertime in the UK, I may have to wait a while for my appetite after that dog pic, let alone the buggy

CAT3K
Approved Member

Post by CAT3K »

I'm getting the feeling you guys don't like cab forward? :lol:

Even when they're on a Losi TLR 22?

Paul.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Not just the cab-forward design, but when both a car's tire height and shock towers are as tall as or taller than the body roof-line, it just looks stupid. :?
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

fredswain
Approved Member

Post by fredswain »

I actually find the 22 to be the most visually stunning car out there right now. With the stock body that is. Throw a cab forward on there and it is pure Fugliness. The F in ftw needs to stand for "fail"!

vwjuice
Approved Member

Post by vwjuice »

fredswain wrote:I have seen people say that the cab forward bodies help offer a bit of front downforce but the reality is that there is so much air turbulence off of the front shocks and shock towers (not to mention that all open wheel cars are high drag), that any aerodynamic benefits the shape may theoretically have are completely useless. I don't and never will believe that there is an aerodynamic benefit from it. Someone will literally have to put one in a wind tunnel comparison before I even would open up to the idea and even then there are better looking ways to accomplish the exact same thing. They look horrible and nothing in the world could get me to use one regardless of reason or logic. Of course they don't do anything anyways.

The shock towers and shocks are one of the main reasons for the cab forward bodies. I didn't believe it at first either, but my buddy has one on his t4 and I put it on my t4 without changing anything. While it didn't make me faster it did make me a slight bit more consistent. We ran outdoors and with a regular body if there was a gust of wind it would make the nose raise or lower a bit and I wouldn't land the downside smooth. With the new body this problem was all but eliminated. It was mere seconds of a difference, but it was a difference.

In person these bodies look a lot better and especially depending on the paint job. If it's a classic old striped or scalloped paint job it looked pretty good. That being said, I would still love to see old trucks bodies with a spare tire molded into the back like the old f-150 body I had years ago. I still love a lot of the old dahms bodies too.

CAT3K
Approved Member

Post by CAT3K »

Now if even i think this one is ugly, you guys are gonna hate it :lol:

New for the 22 from Proline.

Paul.

pedro
Approved Member

Post by pedro »

it's a crime against lexan....

i think even the paint would try to get away from that

peter

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

The " for the wind " shell on the 22 isn't any where near as bad as the other ones- I am all for whatever is faster, but the front windshield is so small on that b4.2 that it can't possibly do anything-

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

I think the appropriate decal on those bodies should be 'FTL' or 'FML'.

by the way, anyone else tired of 'ftw'? I think message boards should censor it already...ugh.... :D

fredswain
Approved Member

Post by fredswain »

As long as there is a front shock tower sticking up, a cab forward body is a placebo. It is impossible for them to do anything useful.