Discussion about possible aluminum transmission and parts

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

flipwils11
Approved Member

Re: Discussion about possible aluminum transmission and part

Post by flipwils11 »

300D50 wrote:and the fact that it's awesome to see aluminum in place of plastic. :cool:
That's the core point really.

Sweet, a pro that is also willing to be engaged through the forums. Very nice. :mrgreen:

Given the parts that represent the most bling on these cars, and are also not available new in plastic, the rear bulkhead would certainly be mighty fine to see in aluminum. And the 6 gear and stealth transmission cases. So what do you need, samples to use as a mold? And would they have to be sacrificial or will the donor get them back in the same shape as before?

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

if the rear bulkhead is on the table, then it should be modded slightly to enlarge the battery cup for better fit with the newer batteries.

without the battery cup, the rear bulkhead is very easy to make out a single thickness piece of aluminum with some lightening holes.

flipwils11
Approved Member

Post by flipwils11 »

jwscab wrote:if the rear bulkhead is on the table, then it should be modded slightly to enlarge the battery cup for better fit with the newer batteries.

without the battery cup, the rear bulkhead is very easy to make out a single thickness piece of aluminum with some lightening holes.
Great point. I wish there were some standalone pics of the one Alex did on inetrc in those pictures.

PBR Allstar
Approved Member

Post by PBR Allstar »

Here's an old R&D Engineering bulkhead from bitd. Looks similar.

Johnboy72
Approved Member

Post by Johnboy72 »

Again, when Walt is ready, I'll drop off my Cadillac RC10 for bulkhead and 6 gear. I also have the 2.25 and 2.65 or whatever the T4 is. As far as the rear mounts, I'm sure if you look at the dirtoval terminator cars, you can find those. I just shipped out my Havoc but believe my Kranzel terminator has a similar bulkhead.

300D50
Approved Member

Post by 300D50 »

Nothing gets molded, it's all milled or turned.

I do need a known-good part that I can measure and use to create a solid model in CAD (I'm a loyal Autodesk fanboy, Inventor or AutoCad all the way!), but it's all non-destructive and the lender will get everything back same as they sent it, or cleaner.

In this case, it seems Johnboy will be supplying a whole car, so there shouldn't be any issues there.

If I've got the looks of it right, the bulkhead should be doable as a 2-part ordeal, with the battery tray screwed in separately.

I'll usually wait to do a final quote till I have a CAD model and a headcount, but I can ballpark for you guys.
It seems like the bulkhead wouldn't be more than $35 max. From the looks of the keyboard photo, it's 3/8 or 1/4 plate, so stock should be quite reasonable. If someone posts up battery dimensions then a larger batt box could be bolted on, seems to be the best way to go.

The gear case honestly depends on the complexity, if it's a 1:1 copy, if it requires putting in different gears, adjusting gear layout, sourcing bearings, etc, etc. We'll roll with it and see where it leads.
I have seen you guys "willing to buy for $X.xx" posts, and I've looked at similar "pre-made, economy of scale" offerings to get a grasp on the going rate, and can say you've nailed the price range, at least for something full custom in low quantity. As was said, the design costs get distributed more as the quantity goes up.
I do my best to keep the price low, so rest assured you won't be getting an inflated number just because of a figure you gave.

So, what's on the table? What exactly does everyone want?
Feel free to bounce ideas around.

I can machine Delrin just fine as well, so no problems there.

I don't think I'll be giving up 1:1 scale any time soon, too much time invested making that old German engine fit in a new-ish Japanese body.
If I did get a RC it would likely be driven for a few weeks, then turn into a box/shelf queen. :(
Walt
Some people never have anything except ideas. Go do it.

Johnboy72
Approved Member

Post by Johnboy72 »

Walt, that bulkhead isn't quite like a factory piece. As far as the transmissions, I have them complete with gears so if you can simply "copy" in your magical way, shouldn't have to re engineer anything. Unless we want to tackle an old looking case with modern gears.
Rear view
Front view
And here's some cool pics of parts I found. Think these are already made but I don't know how many actual manufactures there are.
Front arm mount
Rear arm mounts

300D50
Approved Member

Post by 300D50 »

Oh hell, that looks easy!
If anyone knows the guy who did the CAD work, and can get a sub-license to use his drawing files, I could likely use them to machine the parts, but that's a big "if".

I've started on a dimensionless sketch based off of the front and back photo's he has up, and the keyboard scale photo. I dare say this is getting to be fun...

Walt
Walt

Johnboy72
Approved Member

Post by Johnboy72 »

300D50
Approved Member

Post by 300D50 »

I worked back to the main link after I posted, cool beans.

Not sure if I'd be the right person to ask him though, like I said, I'm kind of an unknown newb.

Johnboy, whenever you're ready, I'm ready to start measuring things. Here's hoping that your trained squirrels are up to it! Not trying to rush in any way, just raring to get going, haha.
Walt

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

I don't know if I speak for everyone on here but the trans case on the outside isn't essential to look 'factory'. If it would cut costs down the one that started this whole idea would be alot easier duplicate on the outside. PBR Allstar took his pix down after it was sold but I'm sure the new owner might be up for some pix to get an idea of what I'm talkin about...just thinkin out loud here so if anyone disagrees chime in.
Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

Johnboy72
Approved Member

Post by Johnboy72 »

Good point, however I would like to see some aluminum parts that look like factory.

Walt, I could swing down there one of these weekdays in the evenings. Friday night we'll be at the track. Saturday or sunday is probably good too. Now one concern, is this going to be a problem? I have a chip missing out of the battery cup on the rear bulkhead.

askbob
Approved Member

Post by askbob »

klavy69 wrote:I don't know if I speak for everyone on here but the trans case on the outside isn't essential to look 'factory'. If it would cut costs down the one that started this whole idea would be alot easier duplicate on the outside. PBR Allstar took his pix down after it was sold but I'm sure the new owner might be up for some pix to get an idea of what I'm talkin about...just thinkin out loud here so if anyone disagrees chime in.
Todd

No problem on the pics. Just let me know what you'd like to see.

askbob
Approved Member

Post by askbob »

Does anyone here know Atlas personally? He might be a good source to get CAD files for some of the parts in the drawings above.

300D50
Approved Member

Post by 300D50 »

No issues with the chip that's missing, I can just measure around it.

Hmm, weekdays are pretty much out for me any time before 15:00, Fridays are open all day, but that doesn't fit with you, weekends are free most of the time.
I'll be in Cali for the Google I/O developer conference from the 8th to the 16th, so that's blocked solid, but after that I should be free again. So it looks like either this weekend, sometime next week (not Mon/Wed/Fri though), or sometime after the 19th of May.

The complexity on the housings is mainly the gear shaft holes, how many, the bearing/bushing bores if any, gear to case clearance, mounting holes, etc. The contour on the outside won't be much of a problem in comparison to critical features like those.

I'm interested in any and all info that you guys have, and your input on what YOU want.
You're the pro's, I'm just the guy who hits the green button, and sometimes the BIG RED one. :mrgreen:
Walt