== Who the Heck Are You? ==

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

SFC K
Approved Member

Re: == Who the Heck Are You? ==

Post by SFC K »

Hey All! My name is Jeff and I have been into RC’s for just a few years. LOL… I am full time MN Army National Guard and live in MN. I'm a member over on Clodtalk. I was invited to come check it out over here by Juice. I also frequent a few other RC related sites as well, so no stranger to the forums.

I recently picked up a few vintage RC’s and Juice told me I had to check it out over here so here I am! :wink: I will post some threads in the appropriate areas here later on.

Quick rundown of RC’s in my stable: :)

AE MGT .21
HPI Sprint 2 Flux
HPI RS4 .18SS RTR 3
HPI Blitz
2 Clod busters, one custom and one Stock
RC10T3
Evader Pro ST
SCX-10 Honcho
AX10 Comp Crawler
Tamiya TL-01
Kyosho Assault
AYK 566B Super trail

That should be about it. Hope to chat with all of you here in the future!
Jeff
Jeff

Axoman

Post by Axoman »

I'm John.

Live in Colorado and have been into RC cars for a long time, since I was a kid in the 80's. I've had a lot of RC cars, but only 3 hobby level. Those are a Kyosho Hi-Rider Corvette, an RC10 and an HPI Savage. The Hi-Rider Corvette needs some work to get into running shape, but the RC10 still runs well, although it could use some maintenance. It needs a lot of work to get to the level of the ones on this forum though!

I'm glad I found this forum, makes me feel lucky to have a working RC10!

mamadoesntletme
Approved Member

Post by mamadoesntletme »

Name: Pepe
Aged: 32 at the present moment,God I am getting old...
Profession: Dentist
About me:I am a Spaniard (for those who have never heard this word before,it means a person from Spain(the country next to France)) expat living in Japan. I have been in this since I was about 8 years old. I had my first Associated when I was 15.I now have more than 20 cars, and going up. I am happily married and waiting for a child. :D
Anything you need I`ll be have to help.
This is me and my cousin:

THE H.P FREAK
Approved Member

Post by THE H.P FREAK »

HI!... I'm "WALDO" and people have a hard time finding me......... :mrgreen:
102 RC vehicles and counting...

benny

Post by benny »

Hello all, my name is Ben. I am 33 years old, live near Peterborough Ontario, and I'm a union Ironworker out of Toronto.

I found this forum while searching for information on the goldpan RC10 I got from my neighbour. I also have 2 Blackfoots, a Frog, a Monster Beetle and a Marui Samurai on the way from the same guy. He offered to sell me all his old stuff for a song, and I jumped on the opportunity to have enough gear to get my 3 sons involved in the hobby. The RC10 was my dream RC car when I was a kid, and Im happy to have found this site. Great resource! The RC10 I have cleaned and reassembled, but it needs some loving to get back to its glory. I am also very into car audio, I'd be more than happy to trade stereo knowledge for RC car knowledge! :lol:

Ben

Me:

and my new/old RC10 A-stamp:

and my TB01 that got me back into the hobby a few years ago:

Midwest_Mudder
Approved Member

Post by Midwest_Mudder »

My name is Dylan, i havent been around these cars for years like some of you guys, Heck, the last "nice" car i had i got when i was 10. But i recently got into rc fairly cheap, I got 2 RC10GT's with a ton of extra "junk" for them for a paintball gun. Both the GTs are up and running and one of them is currently in transition to become a short course truck, just needs a body now. After picking those two up I snagged a RC10T for 12 bucks from a guy over on rctech. He said it was a roller that "needed work", that phrase is kinda spooky but when i got it i was quite happy. Its a fully truck, front and rear tires are brand new, has a nice reedy ultra modifieds "Mr. A" brushless motor, an old airtronics receiver, and some older servo that may need replaced. Just trying to find a cheap ESC for it right now. After those two i got an offer on a paintball website for a paintball gun i forgot i had. And i mean that in every meaning of the word, it hadnt been touched for probably 2 years. Anyway i got offered a brand new in box exceed 1/8th truggy. I knew these werent the best out there but i did it anyway.

While all this was going on my dad decided he wanted to buy a car too. He stumbled upon an old traxxas stadium truck for like 30 bucks on craigslist. came with everything ready to go, just the motor was "stuck". We switched his motor with my reedy and found out the rest of his electronics worked (and so did the reedy motor). After tearing down his motor we found it to be rusted/corroded so we put it on a lathe and cleaned it all up and now it works pretty well. We're also lucky enough to live not even 30 minutes from the local hobby shop that has both an indoor and outdoor track.

Ill get some pictures up when i have a spare moment, currently between school and work i dont have much time.
Raised on cornfields.... Killing on Paintball fields... Nebraska Baller Through and Through

Jedi Master
Approved Member

Post by Jedi Master »

I'm Matt (Luke) from the UK. My username was my nick name at school and follows me on all of the forums that I frequent.

I started in RC's, as a kid, with a Tamiya Thundershot and then a Mardave Mini. My dad was racing model yachts at the time and I soon found myself building RC scale tugboats. I left school and soon discovered that the money a career brings gets easily spent on women :lol:

When an un-intentional break in my career occurred, I found myself some time to complete a Sand Scorcher restoration. It cost little in pennies, but lots of my time, and I was lucky to sell it on ebay just prior to the Re-re being announced. When it finally sold it made over £1000, which was great because I was still out of work. :oops:

After getting back to work, I realised that I had gotten a real sense of pride from SS restoration and as my finances picked up I came back to the hobby full time. I do a bit of 1/10 buggy racing and also 'bash' with other like-minded nutters whenever I can.

I seem to bounce from one relationship to the next, and have never had kids. This is by choice (each to their own) although I do benefit from being Godfather to two fantastic girls.

By day I work as a Logistics Operations Manager running a large distribution site for the UK's leading retailer of soft furnishings. It's a demanding role and long hours push the stress levels to the limit, but the fun of 'playing' with my hobby toys helps me wind down.

I love to keep fit and Snowboard once a year. Motorsports and a love of 'quality things' make up the rest of my time between family and friends.

Bought my first RC10 recently and it is definately my favourite RC. It's too good an example to run, so now I have an excuse to buy and rebuild another one! :lol:

Nice to be part of the forum! :D

Do, or do not! There is no 'try'!
RC; Boats, Buggies, Trucks, Bash's, Racing and of course 'VINTAGE'!
My Ebay Feedback: http://feedback.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=jedimaster768&ftab=AllFeedback

BigPun76
Approved Member

Post by BigPun76 »

Hello! I'm my name is Allen and I've been involved in rc cars for, oh, 20 years or so. I've mostly been away for the past 5 years but I've tried to keep up with everything. I'm 34 years old, married with an 18 month-old girl, and I'm the parts manager at Motorhomes of Texas.
I currently own an RC18T that I'm throwing together with a brushless system and I also have a mostly stock Clodbuster minus the body. :? I also have a Horizon TQ10 and a Bullet graphite conversion with trailing arms and an A&L Lethal Weapon belt tranny.
Seeing all the pictures and posts of various RC10s brings back many fond memories of racing back in the heyday. With no place to run close by, I have to settle running out at my parent's house or any place that looks fun! :D
Glad I've found this site and I look forward to reading (and posting) on here as much as I can!

Hcp22
Approved Member

Post by Hcp22 »

Name: Lars Waern
City: Gothenburg
Born in 1955
Married: Yes, divorced and re married
Children: 3 (all grown up)
Employed at Volvo Truck Corp.

Started my racing career in1978 and started with 1:1 scale rallying in a Volvo 142.
1984 I sold my car and one year later I got my first RC a Kyosho Turbo Scorpion. -89 I joined Kyosho International and went to Sidney Australia and the WC, in -94 I left for Team Losi Sweden! I ended my racing in -97. In 2009 I started renovate all my old cars, and I’m so hocked… :lol:
PIC_0325.jpg
Me and my wife at our wedding last year (2010).
PIC_0325.jpg (26.06 KiB) Viewed 1907 times
PIC_0325.jpg (26.06 KiB) Viewed 1907 times
Cheers
Lars

My Feedback

Johnboy72
Approved Member

Post by Johnboy72 »

Name is John, some call me Johnboy. Just don't call me late for dinner. I'm 32 and happily married with a handful of kids, a 6 yr old Weimarner, and a cat. I did 5 years as an IT in the Navy and now a truckdriver in the Army. Been in the military for over 10 years and halfway till retirement.
I've always been into RC cars since a young boy and even when I left the hobby, I find my way back. My two other interests are racing and building custom trucks.
Currently I'm not sitting on a big collection as the others but have a handful of dirtoval cars and hope to add a couple more of the racers I had as a kid like a CE, XX, and a Blackfoot.

flipwils11
Approved Member

Post by flipwils11 »

I think I'm over the 1 year mark on this forum since getting back into the RC addiction, so probably overdue to introduce myself.

Name: Adam

Family: Married 9 years, son just turned 5 (and part of the reason I got back into RC) and daughter 15 months.

Occupation: Medicare Product Director, former career in IT as a developer before biz school.

Education: BS in Comp Sci from Purdue, MBA from University of Chicago Booth

RC cars: 1st car was some hunk of junk from local hobby store as a RTR, then a Tamiya Hornet, and then a gold pan RC10 that I modified and spent all my allowance on.

Full scale cars: 1980 BMW M535i, 1987 325is, 2003 540i sport 6spd

my picture:
Attachments
DSC02280_smaller.jpg

uofmhockey
Approved Member

Post by uofmhockey »

I just came across this website about a month ago. I started to race back in the mid eighties at Riders Hobby shop in Ypsilanti, Mi. Then I got involved with SEMROCC a club that raced at Freedom Hill Park in Sterling Heights Mi.
Dropped out of racing to raise a family. Picked up racing again a few years back. Never been much of a racer but I always loved to wrench on my cars. I have been restoring my old cars and been looking to pick up some of the cars
I always wanted form back in the day. Looking at some of the cars here has inspired me to build a couple of vintage racers to run at the local track. Hoping that it may inspire enough other racers to start a vintage class.

Here is a picture of my mug on the sidelines of The Big House before the Iowa game last year.
Attachments
DSCN3773_2.JPG

Chris K
Approved Member

Post by Chris K »

I guess it's time to introduce myself since I've been a member here for awhile BUT haven't done a lot of posting until recently.

My name is Chris Kovachevich and I've been involved in this hobby since the mid 80's. The cool part about that is I've LIVED a bunch of stuff that's talked about here and yes, that makes me a geezer. I'll actually turn 64 in a few months...... :roll:

I've been fortunate to have traveled around the country some and attend some big and significent races. I was lucky enough to go to Freedom Hill twice before it closed (Kahuna loves RED) and raced a number of times at R & R in Quincy IL. I was even a vice president of ROAR for a few months in the interim prior to a election back in the early 90s - not well known enough to win an election though! :) I was also lucky to attend the 1988 NORCCA Nationals at Quincy, IL which was significent since it was the first showing in the MIDWEST of the new 'Losi buggy' as we referred to it.

I'm still an active racer with way too many vehicles to bore you with, simply stated if it's an active class here in the Kansas City MO area I've probably got something to race (or MY version of racing).

I'm a lead contributor to RC Driver; have written for them since the 2nd issue and have picked up the nickname of Granpa Shortcourse from a certain editor (whos initials are Greg Vogle) due to my embracing of the short course class and my firm belief that it is the salvation of our racing and the most significent 'new thing' in r/c since the 1/10th scale truck (which it seems to be replacing). I've also had the privilage of writing for RC News, Radio Control Model Cars and Radio Race Car International. The writing forced me to become a 'photographer' of sorts but I'm no Walter Sidas or Hope McCall.

I became interested in 'old r/c' about 10 years ago, did a bit of wheeling and dealing on EBay under the seller name of mule_rc, had a LOT of fun, accumulated a BUNCH of stuff that I will assemble when I get old! Currently I'm trying to ride out the last semblence of racing ability I have and as long as I'm not in the way too much I will continue to race.

So, I've re-kindled my interest in 'old stuff' (settle down you pervs!) and my plan is to assemble a few things that are in my basement - probably finish an original Ultima that I started many years ago (crap, I'm probably going to have to CLEAN it again) and I'll get pictures up of my completed RC10 6 gear goldie and my JRx2 (which has parts in it from the original cars that I bought for my son and I the first day they were available in Kansas City).

My current home track is Timberline Raceway in Osawatomie, KS (60 miles SW of Kansas City) - a facility that has been 'newcomer friendly' since it's first day and that in 2011 will be operated with the idea of bringing more new blood into our sport and having fun without pressure to WIN or be sponsored. I get a lot of joy from helping newcomers as does track owner Dave Smreker!
Wherever you go; there you are!

Bob-Stormer
Approved Member

Post by Bob-Stormer »

<---- I'm that guy.

I have a "few" old cars.

Just thought I'd check in and say "Howdy". :D

Some knowledgeable folks hanging out here.
I enjoy, Schumacher 1/12th, Checkpoint motors, Lazerlite motors, PB Sizzler, Pro Panther-10, Dialed Speed Controls, Paranoia spurs.

chriswolfson
Approved Member

Post by chriswolfson »

I guess I'll quickly introduce myself since I've already been posting all over your forum! My name is Chris Wolfson and I'm from Pittsburgh, PA.

I'm new to the vintage R/C collecting scene, but very interested. My dad and I have recently purchased a 5-Link JRX2 and a JRX Pro. I've been into R/C since I was in 7th grade. That's quite the long time, considering I'm 36 years old. :shock: I started out with an Aristocraft Kangaroo. After having numerous issues with that car, we moved on to a Tamiya Falcon.

We started racing about that time as well. After trying the Falcon on an outdoor off-road track, we started racing dirt oval and purchased our first RC10 with a Hot Trick Stuff skinny chassis.

Eventually, we moved back to off-road racing and converted the RC10 back to a gold chassis car.

Most of my racing success over the years came driving Team Losi cars and we did have an original JRX2. The only Team Losi car I did not drive was the JRX Pro SE and LXT as I was a sponsored driver at that time for Traxxas driving the TRX1.

My 5-Link JRX2 is on the right of this photo.

Another car that seems popular on the forum is the AYK Pro Radiant. Here I am posing with mine on the left.

I've had a ton of fun in this hobby over the years and am lucky enough to currently be a Team Driver for Team Losi Racing. Here's a few photos of more recent years.

TLR / Horizon Hobby / Spektrum / Tekin / MIP / JConcepts / VooDoo