Noob with many questions.

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Goody625

Noob with many questions.

Post by Goody625 »

Hi all, great forum here!! My dad and I (mostly my dad) built my first gold pan RC10 when I was like 13 years old. Its a 6010 Caddilac I believe. Back then I didnt really care about anything but driving the car. I raced it indoors 1 time in Greensboro, NC. and won a 2nd place trophy. As I grew older, the car got pushed to the back burner for the next 15 years or so. Recently, with the birth of my first son, I've got the fever to work on these cars. I dug through my parents attic and fount the car in the original box, and everything. I took the car home completely disassembled it, cleaned it, and put it back together.
With the help of this forum I disassempled the 6 gear trans., cleaned it, and put it back together. As helpful as this forum has been, I am still full of questions. I guess my main questions are with the electrical aspect of modern cars. All the different "turn", brushless, Lipo, etc. Can someone point me in the right direction to research this? I plan on restoring my gold pan, and maybe building one along the lines of the ones in Temple's Old is new tech thread. Thank you guys in advance,

Joel

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Re: Noob with many questions.

Post by Charlie don't surf »

Welcome to RC10Talk Joel! ( I sent you a PM ) As far as the turns, see where you might want to race and what they are running- C and C RC in Greensboro is running 4wd mod, 4wd mod SC, 2wd sc stock/open and 2wd mod truck. Most of the 2wd classes in mod are running 8.5 to 13.5 motors and the stealth handles it very well ( I run 2 vintage cars there ) the 6 gear can be built to handle it but there are some drawbacks- If you poke around some more you will find lot's of info, I will round up a few thread references and PM them to you to get you started-

We also have an Eastern NC thread in the "races/get togethers" to help as well

THUNDERSTRIKE1
Approved Member

Post by THUNDERSTRIKE1 »

Welcome aboard the insanity train muhahahaha.Im in Henderson NC. DON

Goody625

Post by Goody625 »

Hey, thanks for the replies guys, Yes it seems to be insanity. I want to do so many different things, I dont know where to start. I want to spruce up my Gold pan, but also would like to maybe build a B4.1 kit or something now that I am old enough to enjoy it. I'll try to get some pictures up of my car later. Lots of knowledge on here!!

Joel

drbelleville
Approved Member

Post by drbelleville »

PM sent with some links

losiXXXman
Approved Member

Post by losiXXXman »

Welcome Joel! Definitely check out the Eastern NC thread. We are planning to do another get together soon, and it'll be posted there when we nail down a date/time/location. It'll be great to have another old school RC guy out running with us!

Goody625

Re: Noob with many questions. (Pics Added)

Post by Goody625 »

Ok, Here are the pics of my ride...It was in working order until I tore it down for cleaning. These pice were taken after I started tearing it down. I also need to rebuild the 6 gear transmission. Horrible noise coming out of it! I was amazed that one of the batteries was still somewhat good. Thanks for all the good information in these forums!

More to come (Hopefully)

Joel

campbuds
Approved Member

Post by campbuds »

Very nice! I wish mine was in good as condition as yours is when I pulled mine out. My story is very similar to yours.

I have redone mine, for the purposing of using it again but have since discovered parts are not always easy to come by. They will pop up on ebay though.

I have recently decided to restore and park mine. I will take it out occasionally but only in circumstances where I am guaranteed it won't be broken. I did however pick one up on craigslist that is the worlds car and i will use that one. It holds no sentimental value.

Goody625

Post by Goody625 »

Yeah, my eyes are bigger than my wallet right now....I want to restore mine, pick up one (Vintage) to fix up and run, and build a B4.1 or something to really play around with...