Fake parts

When it's R/C related, but doesn't fit anyplace else.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Halgar
Approved Member

Post by Halgar »

Something to keep in mind here is basic human nature. You'll always have the majority, who are honest folks who just want a good deal, and then the minority who are out to screw others just because they can. It is up to the buyer to verify that the parts and vehicles they purchase are exactly what they expect them to be. Obviously, RC parts are a little harder to identify via images and email, however, I'm betting that most of you folks are experienced enough to know when you're being had, as far as parts integrity is concerned.

Mr2.4T
Approved Member

Post by Mr2.4T »

Here is another ? What if someone can take a broken brand x part and repair it, but only using say 20% of the original. Is it still an original? It has original in it. Halgar did nail it on the head with the different collectors. I personally see that these things where built to run, not sit. So yeah repro parts won't hurt my feelings. I understand what you purist are saying about crocked people trying pass these parts off as originals, but if you know what you are wanting so bad you should be able to tell the difference in the parts. Plus if the knock off parts are exact reproductions wouldn't that be breakin the law? Shouldn't there be a patent on the original?

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

Hoopty, the wheel thing didn't actually happen. But, it's begining to look like it could easily happen in the future.

I'd take a reproduction Aerofoil wing if it wasn't a clone of the original. Like I said before, I have no problem with reproductions that are very similar, I do have a problem with identical copies. You can read all you want into the motivations of the people with the deep pockets and if they find the hobby rewarding for the right reasons. However, I hardly see making fake parts having anything to do with right anything, nor is it rewarding in any manner. There's NO reason why an "RPM" shock tower can't have an extra pair of shock mount holes, or something very slightly different about it.

You mean the Jrx2 bodies? I think it did. I got one for $35. After I bought it, then the knock off issue came up. After she sold a few for $35 BIN she jacked the price up. I honestly don't know if I got a reproduction or an original, I have two bodies from two sellers, and I can't tell the difference between the two. I can't explain it, but I'm not as concerned about bodies. Maybe that makes me a hypocrit, but I kind of see it as giving a full scale classic car a new paint job.

Ferretti, I don't see the replica car build as being an issue at all. Nobody in their right mind is going to see a "Jammin Jay" or "Masami" car up on ebay and think it's the real thing. Unless the seller is Jay Halsey, and says so in the auction and includes some kind of COA or kind of proof. On the flip side, this is why I lit up asa for advertising his car as RC10 #2. That is the kind of advertising that is going to bite you in the ass in the future with fake parts.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

MelvinsArmy wrote:Doug, I'm realizing that people's collecting styles and attitudes are completely different. However, I don't think many people understand what I'm trying to say, or why I even brought this up in the first place. I still don't understand why if a brand x part is so important to someone, a duplicate of that part is just as good as the original.
whether you believe it or not, i fully understand what you are saying, and can appreciate your position on in. but, without trying to come across as a total jerk, i really don't care.

if i have absolutely no problem building up my 55 chevy with aftermarket/reproduction parts, it should be no concern of yours. and the same goes with any of my rc cars. if i can live with the fact that there is repop'd parts on them, that's all that matters. if someone on this forum, or anywhere else for that matter, has the means to make a certain piece that i'm looking for, and don't feel like waiting around for one to come around on ebay, i'll buy it. it can always be replaced with an original if one came along.

and for you to not have a problem with someone reproducing bodies make no sense to me, when you feel the way you do about other parts for the car. joe blow's the one making those in his basement in 2007, right?

we just have two completely different mentalities on this subject, and that's not gonna change. :wink:

SkidRowe
Approved Member

Post by SkidRowe »

I agree with MelvinsArmy on this issue. Reproduce any part you want but I don't think it should be "exactly" like the original.

RichieRich
Approved Member

Post by RichieRich »

MelvinsArmy wrote: RichieRich, I might not be the brightest guy in the world, and I certainly am not a financial genius, but future value is towards the bottom of my list of worries about fake parts. You'd have to be a real moron to invest your money in to toy cars in hopes of increasing your portfolio.
Just to clarify, I did not mean to infer that you are a moron or any one else here. :D That was not my intent. It just seems that so many people are focused on "what is it worth" and losing sight of the real fun of the hobby.

Anyways, I understand your argument, but I'm going to have to agree with scr8p's option. No disrespect intended. :wink:

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

RichieRich, I know you weren't trying to imply that, I was just driving home a point. I agree with you about the "what it's worth" thing too, that bugs the crap out of me, and that's a whole other can of worms.

scr8p, I don't care how you build up your 55 Chevy. Or how you build up your RC10. I do care about how my car is built up though. If a fake part is good enough for now, why would it not be good enough when a real part comes along? This makes absolutely no sense to me. So, when the real part comes along, the fake one will likely get put out on the market. I know you're an honest guy and would plainly state what it is. But, who knows what the next guy down the line is going to do.

I was just trying to raise the question, and it's clear that I'm in the minority. So remake whatever you want. It's not like I can stop you, or would even want to waste my time going through the effort to try to stop you. I've got pretty much every thing I want vintage RC-wise, so none of this will effect me or my cars to begin with.

Anyway, this has been a good discussion. I'm done though, I can't add any more than I've already said, and I know people all have their own opinions.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

hey, mel. we kind of agreed. you don't care how i build my stuff, and i knew ya wouldn't. :lol: :lol:

it's a good discussion, and like you said, everyone is gonna have their own opinions on it. which they are entitled too. :)

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

scr8p wrote:hey, mel. we kind of agreed. you don't care how i build my stuff, and i knew ya wouldn't. :lol: :lol:

it's a good discussion, and like you said, everyone is gonna have their own opinions on it. which they are entitled too. :)
I don't care how you build your cars, just because I know no matter what you build them with, they're gonna be bad ass. Now, if you start building crap, I'm gonna say something. 8)

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

MelvinsArmy wrote:
scr8p wrote:hey, mel. we kind of agreed. you don't care how i build my stuff, and i knew ya wouldn't. :lol: :lol:

I don't care how you build your cars, just because I know no matter what you build them with, they're gonna be bad ass. Now, if you start building crap, I'm gonna say something. 8)
:lol: :lol:

acerpower1
Approved Member

Post by acerpower1 »

original parts, or fake parts dont matter to me. i'm just glad i can still get any parts for my car and it dont have to collect dust along with my old "big brute" and 1st gen. "wild willy"

Daryl Lane
Approved Member

Post by Daryl Lane »

Just noticed this Thread - been real busy lately.

Anyway I'm making some repo pieces to complete some kits I have - RC10 Chassis stiffener kits. I will sell them as A&L Chassis stiffeners at a set price and they will be more then they were in 1995 because of higher cost not because they are vintage. I think the Vintage thing is over played some - it should be and accually is more like old out of production parts then vintage, so when you see and bid on one it's more like "is this really the last one left in the world unused?"

Not sure how what I do fits into this thread, but I sell most of my parts for the same price or less then I did when they were new. I'm thinking maybe I should up my prices? JUST KIDDING LOL :shock: I'm feeling playful been a long day of TV mixed with working. So anyway my $.02
Old is more FUN

Team A&L know it all - really :)

LINK TO TALK A&L Off topic/Chit Chat http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=31149

scollins
Approved Member

Wow- what a hot topic of discussion

Post by scollins »

Well, Its late and this thread got my attention.
All of you guys have had good points of view on this but my take on the whole repro/fake thing is this-

If someone has more disposable income than the next guy to blow on OEM RC car parts, they are most likely gonna do that. Its OK, everyone has had their time on this point. Some of us with small, yet rare components, some of us with a NIB kit that costs more than the payment on the car thats driven to work. (except the lucky ones that dont have car payments...I envy you)

If you actually just wanna get a car together to run or to have look nice and complete, not terribly concerned about "resale value" (lol) and not wait for the "perfect part"--- (or live your life on Ebay watching things every 11 minutes, which I have done a few times BTW) then a repro or "adaquate replacement" usually works just fine. When it comes to something as simple in design as a flat- plate style FRP or composite shock tower, a "fake" would only hurt you in your expected resale value if the rest of the car was original and really clean. But most likely the serious collector making an offer or placing a substantial bid has a spare one NIB already in his stash of parts. So, that "fake" may just get removed and replaced in the end anyway.

So many of us got into restoring/collecting and building vintage stuff because we love it so much. Its from our childhood, basically. Some of us drove and/or raced whatever scrappy car we had back then. Some of us always had NIB kits to build under the Christmas tree and at birthdays every year and always were fortunate to have "newer" stuff.
I think this can influence your decision to what level you pay for an original part. Another huge influence is actually how may different types of hobbies you have of course. I mean, I'm into my motorcycle stuff, as well as trying to get money together to restore an old car I've had for the last decade -so..that influences my "budget" in the RC department.
Personally for me, I am a bit off-center on this as I always enjoyed scratch building stuff so much that I always shunned buying original parts even back when I was 13 years old and actually had paper route money to pay for it. I was usually trying to make my own replacement parts when possible! It didnt hurt that my basement was basically a shop back then complete with a lathe! (I still enjoy making stuff of my own, but of course my craftsmanship and knowledge is at a higher level now)... Well I just left two pennies in the tray, anyone else wanna leave .02?...scollins
When in doubt, throttle out ...... scollins