My New Gold Runner w/ 6 gear

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

m_vice
Approved Member

Re: My New Gold Runner w/ 6 gear

Post by m_vice »

Ruffy wrote:Yesterday I bought an LRP X-12 8.5T brushless motor to run today in my Gold Racer RC10 for the 1st time with a real mod motor and it was awesome! We had 3 other RC10Talk members there, and I also brought out my Boxter Replica, Jay Halsey Replica and Curtis Edinger RC10 to the track for people to enjoy as I have been asked a few times for them.

Long story short, the stock RC10 with an 8.5T motor and 5300mah 65C Lipo was a match made in heaven. The car felt like it was on rails! So much traction that I cleared the insane long distance doubles every lap of the qualifier and A Main today effortlessly, and drove thru the corner and onto the straight-away with so much power that the old gold RC10 was in a straight-away long wheelie on numerous laps that kept the spectators gasping, which could be easily heard on the driver's stand. It was amazing to drive from my standpoint and each time on the track, I have fine tuned the car in baby-steps to get it running strong.
Hopefully the other members can chime in with comments from their perspective.

From my perspective:
No need for aftermarket anything, no upgrades for an 8.5T brushless motor required, etc... Stock stealth transmission, stock slipper and pad, gold shocks, #1 pistons -35wt oil, etc... just your normal run of the mill RC10 Championship Edition style buggy.
:D
This is AWESOME Ruffy, I wish I was in Florida to be a part of this. Very exiting stuff, keep it going man, I want to see you race the nationals and move on with your gold runner. :D

Ruffy
Approved Member

Post by Ruffy »

Baby steps in the fine tune process, but many of us here do not see any reason why it can't be done.
Thanks Miguel, all I know is I am having blast!
I will post pictures taken once I receive them, maybe they got one of those cool wheelie shots.

mikea96

Post by mikea96 »

That is one badass looking ride!

Russ Winn
Approved Member

Post by Russ Winn »

Ruffy-
I'd like to know when you're going to run again at the Asylum...I would love to see it run.
The older I get, the faster I was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyGKBTUJ-L0

m_vice
Approved Member

Post by m_vice »

cant wait to see the pics.

so are you in love with the 8.5T motor and 5300mah 65C Lipo combo now?

Ruffy
Approved Member

Post by Ruffy »

I have to say YES, I'm digging the power. Wierd thing is it doesn't feel like it is too much power for an old gold RC10 (Stealth Transmission) either, it's all in finger control but having that power there whenever I should need it is an amazing thing.
Up until now I have been competing in the regular modified class with a super-stock class 13.5T motor in this RC10 while the others were all using anywhere from a 10.5 to 8.5 motors.
I'll keep an eye on my slipper pad, since it is the same one I ran on this transmission since the early 90's, and let you know if I see any early signs of failure or stress, but I doubt it. I have more of these slipper pads but always hated breaking in a new yellow pad, so I just clean this one off with a scotchbrite pad from time to time and keep going.

Russ my next time will be in 2 weeks, on Dec. 18th. Hopefully everything is working as before and this time I can figure out how to clear the huge triple that only "some" 1/8 nitro and 1/8 electric buggies are clearing but one top Associated sponsored local driver just started clearing for the 1st time with his B4. He wasn't doing it consistantly enough though to be comfortable doing it, but it was still very impressive the way he was doing it when he did it well. I tried it a few times in practice, but only cleared it twice perfectly out of like 6 tries, that is not a good ratio so I did not attempt it in the main except on the last lap since I made it around under the wire for another lap.

The long difficult double that only a handful few top guys are clearing, I am now able to do lap after lap now with a real mod motor on this "Dinosaur" RC10. I cleared it on every lap in the qualifiers and the A main perfectly without any trouble.

Russ Winn
Approved Member

Post by Russ Winn »

Sounds good. Hopefully, I can make it out there...I've never seen the track, but after reading this post, I googled it and found out I live almost on top of it (Winter Haven).

Ruffy
Approved Member

Post by Ruffy »

Russ, check out The RC Asylum for full information!

Here are some pics just sent to me to wet your appetite from one of the photographers, more pics to follow soon once he uploads to my ftp:
12-04-10_Asylum1.jpg
12-04-10_Asylum2.jpg
12-04-10_Asylum3.jpg
This last image has Jeff Harris and I racing around the track, both with our vintage rides.
Miguel, that bumper works so perfectly. Thank-you!
12-04-10_Asylum4.jpg

m_vice
Approved Member

Post by m_vice »

Photos are awesome and the bumper look great in the photo.
Love the photo with Jeff, very cool.

Very nice:
12-04-2010-1.jpg

Ruffy
Approved Member

Post by Ruffy »

A few more photos.
I think JR is the top or one of the top sponsored racers in our state. He's very fast. Slowly but surely Jeff and I are knocking the rust off and fine tuning the old buggies to keep up with him. I'd have been closer to him on the last lap (overall time difference) had I not tried to make the triple for the hell of it, on the last lap. I didn't make it and had to be marshalled which makes it look like a huge difference. But he was still a lot faster regardless of my one tumble on the last lap, last ditch effort.

Jeff would have been on the lead lap with us, but he broke early after his early attempts during the race to clear that huge triple jump on more than one lap. Landed badly one time too many and broke the shock rod end on a rear shock.

Check out the 2nd picture here, Jeff's car looks awesome! It's my favorite picture so far of the ones sent to post onto our site there.
IMG_1823.jpg
IMG_1621.jpg
IMG_1812.jpg
IMG_1597.jpg

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

Nice shots, I may have to take a trip to FL in Jan 8)

JHarris
Approved Member

Post by JHarris »

Reg,

We would love to have ya! If January doesn't work out, keep your schedule clear for April 9-10, 2011. The details aren't final yet, but we will host "The Spring Fling" at The RC Asylum. This will probably be a 2 day event with all the modern classes, BUT; we will also feature a vintage class. There is still a lot to sort out, but this will be a great event for any vintage racer to come check out. And Florida in the spring....you can't get any better than that!

Russ Winn
Approved Member

Post by Russ Winn »

No need to wet my appetite....It's enough to find people dedicated to keeping these classics running.

Ruffy
Approved Member

Post by Ruffy »

Jaime, another RC10Talk member here, came out to the track and enjoyed the day with us. He brought out his RC10T Truck to show it to us. A Very nice, well built truck.
Looks like he might build himself an RC10 runner and come out and enjoy himself with Jeff and I, along with a few others starting to talk about bringing out their RC10's for regular weekly race duty like us.

So you will be in good company Russ_Winn

Another old school racer Jason V. is starting to come out regularly, driving the rust off and bringing his young son into the hobby with him this time. Last time I had seen Jason racing before my retiring from racing, he was coming out to the local tracks with his Dad at around 13-15 yrs old (I first met him he was around 10), and here he is with a son of his own now. He is calling all of us, including himself, "The Retro-Assault". I think Jason's next step is to build himself a vintage racer (from comments made to Jeff and I). He is currently running a B4 in the stock class to warm up.

Ruffy
Approved Member

Post by Ruffy »

We will be racing this Saturday once more at the RC Asylum, for those within striking distance that might want to show up and see a few of my vintage RC10's. I and a few others will be racing our vintage RC10's there mixed in with the regular class cars.
If I can get them to spread out 2wd stock and 2wd mod so we have two other heats between them instead of back to back, I will race both classes.

Wish us luck guys!