RWD-only Optima - I'm sure somebody's done this before?

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Coelacanth
Approved Member

RWD-only Optima - I'm sure somebody's done this before?

Post by Coelacanth »

I'm not planning on doing this, I was just wondering if one of you guys have done something like this...

-Optima with only a rear diff, no front diff in the front gearbox, no chain, no front out-drives or dog-bones...just the front wheels screwed onto the hexes & front shafts.

I wonder how it would handle? The Optima already tends to be butt-heavy with the front 4WD components added, so how does it perform as a RWD only?
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

Hcp22
Approved Member

Re: RWD-only Optima - I'm sure somebody's done this before?

Post by Hcp22 »

I think it will under steer ...
Cheers
Lars

My Feedback

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

No doubt. I have understeer issues with a high-torque motor in 4WD configuration. :D
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

sgirouard
Approved Member

Post by sgirouard »

Coelacanth wrote:I'm not planning on doing this, I was just wondering if one of you guys have done something like this...

-Optima with only a rear diff, no front diff in the front gearbox, no chain, no front out-drives or dog-bones...just the front wheels screwed onto the hexes & front shafts.

I wonder how it would handle? The Optima already tends to be butt-heavy with the front 4WD components added, so how does it perform as a RWD only?
I've seen this before...I think it was called the Ultima. (first gen)

Actually you want to try something interesting. Take out your rear dogbones and run FWD. (I had to do that in a race back in the day, lost a dog bone so easy fix). Lost power but the thing handled great.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

I know that the Ultima was a RWD-re-engineered Optima, but I imagine it's quite different than just an Optima missing the extra front components and chain...before the Ultima came along, I'm sure some people tried running their Optimas as RWD's...

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

it doesn't make much sense to me for an optima, but a lazer or optima mid RWD are on my to-try list

highwayracer
Approved Member

Post by highwayracer »

I did it when i first got my optima. Essentially, it's like an ultima. Jumping, it still handles like an optima. As for the turning, it's a little better becasue of the wider tires.

I've also taken the rear dog bones out. Doesn't work very well because of the motor placement. There aren't too many full size front wheel drive cars with the motor in the rear.

michi
Approved Member

Post by michi »

I can remember a race report, in a RC- journal in 1989 or 1990. A well-known driver in Germany, achieved good results at that time with a RWD - Optima at indoor races. ( on carpet )

Kyosho Fan2
Approved Member

Post by Kyosho Fan2 »

I did a regional with my ZX-S and won a C final with a rear wheel drive, (the one way broke and I didnt realise) the layout s similar to a mid and it handled rather well. Most cars tend to oversteer too much due to the balance not being right but you should find the car very drive-able and probably a bit more steering in and out of the corners than you'd expect.

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

Kyosho Fan2 wrote:I did a regional with my ZX-S and won a C final with a rear wheel drive, (the one way broke and I didnt realise) the layout s similar to a mid and it handled rather well. ...
He was asking about a standard optima, not optima mid