Stuff to Check Out in LA?

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

mrlexan
Approved Member

Stuff to Check Out in LA?

Post by mrlexan »

I am going to L.A. next week and was wondering if there are good shops to check out in the area. We will be staying near LAX and I am not sure how far I can venture out. Any suggestions?

RichieRich
Approved Member

Post by RichieRich »

There's not much around LAX. If you can get down to Torrance there's Speed Shop R/C Hobbies. Cute little place. There's also Pacific Coast Hobbies. Both of these are at least 10 miles away. Both have newer stock so no vintage RC10 bargains.

mrlexan
Approved Member

Post by mrlexan »

Not looking for gold, just looking for something to do if I have time. Having only been to Cali once, San Jose to Monterey, of which the drive was fine...... how long is it gonna take me to go the 21 minutes that google say it will.? Any areas I should avoid?

Jay

Tadracket
Approved Member

Post by Tadracket »

mrlexan wrote:how long is it gonna take me to go the 21 minutes that google say it will.? Any areas I should avoid?

Jay
:lol: Way to look ahead, Jay. Never been to LA but I hear they travel by hours as a way of measuring distance, not miles.
He's an idiot. Comes from upbringing. His parents are probably idiots too.

RichieRich
Approved Member

Post by RichieRich »

Tadracket wrote: :lol: Way to look ahead, Jay. Never been to LA but I hear they travel by hours as a way of measuring distance, not miles.
In that part of town, it does take a while to get places, especially during peak hours. :D Don't let that stop you, go out and explore. You can always hit the Mattel store in El Segundo.

b0x
Approved Member

Post by b0x »

If you havent ever been, you gotta hit an in-n-out burger. i swear by them.

mrlexan
Approved Member

Post by mrlexan »

Nope, never been. So what is the story? You guys will probably either laugh or roll or eyes, but the wife and I eat very healthy. Go ahead and give it to me, I am man enough to take it.

templeofspeed
Approved Member

Post by templeofspeed »

mrlexan wrote:Nope, never been. So what is the story? You guys will probably either laugh or roll or eyes, but the wife and I eat very healthy. Go ahead and give it to me, I am man enough to take it.

http://www.bridgeandtunnelclub.com/bigmap/outoftown/california/losangeles/in-n-out/index.htm

Better than "Chateau Blanc" or, in your neck of the woods, Krystal... :lol:

Time for an official "junk food" thread?

badhoopty
Approved Member

Post by badhoopty »

every time i go to l.a. i gotta go to in n out...

its just a wicked good fast food joint. kinda like the old a&w's were foodwise. totally oldschool and (correct me if i'm wrong) but i think its still privately owned, and the owner(s) refuse to open resturaunts that arent local. i hear its also a pretty good place to work if youre a kid. i hear they get treated pretty good.

dont forget to ask for some free stickers. :wink:

b0x
Approved Member

Post by b0x »

Everything is fresh, even the fries. They actually skin potatoes in-store. Shakes and malts are very good too. I think they get $10/hr+ starting out. They are always crowded as hell, so just be prepared to wait. They serve burgers, fries, drinks and shakes, thats it. You can get a double or a single (maybe a triple), and some fries... they keep it simple. It wont be healthy but its worth being bad just this once. I went out there last summer and went 3 times in 4 days. I also just went to one in Arizona in a suburb of phoenix, I think that may be as far west as they have come.

RichieRich
Approved Member

Post by RichieRich »

Oh man...in-n-out...mmm. When I lived in Atlanta for 3 years, I missed in-n-out so much. Hardees just doesn't cut it. :lol:

Luckily for mrlexan, there's an in-n-out just north of LAX. In fact, I think it's literally across the street.

Funny story, my cousin and I were really hungry one night. It was probably 12 or 1 in the morning. So, we were going to hit the in-n-out by the airport. First, we had to get some cash at the ATM and we had been racing eachother all day. Who can get to the car first...who can eat the fastest, etc. So we jumped into my cousin's POS Oldsmobile, pulled up to a Bank of America a few blocks down, threw open the doors and bolted towards the ATM. There was a poor lady there that had just finished withdrawing her cash. She looked at us, grabbed her cash and screamed her head off all the way back to her car. Drove off like a bat out of hell. It scared the crap out of us until we realized what it must have looked like from her perspective.

Anyways, what days are you out here?

badhoopty
Approved Member

Post by badhoopty »

LOL!

carloco8

Post by carloco8 »

Hey mrlexan if you're gonna go to in-n-out, then you gotta go to "Tommy's" also. They got the best chili burgers in the world!!! http://www.originaltommys.com/

For rc stuff, here are the must go to places:

Pegasus hobbies - Montclair, CA http://pegasushobbies.com/ They have 1/10 electric racing on saturday nights at 5. Also if you go on a weekday, you can meet and talk with Andy Jacobson, the original Andy's guy who happens to be a manager at pegasus. Mention "Warrior Racing" and he'll tell you more about trying to bring back some of his old bodies. Just so you know, they have some old rpm and ofcourse rc10 parts............

Ultimate hobbies - Orange, CA http://www.ultimatehobbies.com/istar.asp?a=30 Mainly newer stuff, but still a top notch shop!

These hobby shops are gonna be about 45mins - 1hr from LA, but I can't lie to you, if you know old rc stuff then these places are your gold mines.

mrlexan
Approved Member

Post by mrlexan »

Thanks guys. I will have to try it. I think my boss likes to eat, so I am sure he will be up to it.

I will be there Monday 6/25 to Thursday 6/28.

mrlexan
Approved Member

Post by mrlexan »

I could not find Pacific when I googled them. Do they have a site?