new Procat sideplates?

The place for all things Schumacher.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

kaszal
Approved Member

Re: new Procat sideplates?

Post by kaszal »

Hi again, probably untreated to keep the cost down but if enough people show interest I'll think about getting them black anodised... or purple? Nice or yuk?

QuackingPlums
Approved Member

Post by QuackingPlums »

I don't mind either way... Was just asking :D

Any idea on cost yet?

kaszal
Approved Member

Post by kaszal »

I've proposed £13 a set plus postage as a starting figure. If I get more requests it will be less per unit of course. It is Schumacher's company policy not to release drawings so FibreLyte are doing the drawings, which I will send to the sheet metal works. I've also ordered 100 of the screws I mentioned. I was thinking another reason to stick with a natural finish is that this will probably be more acceptable to original CAT collectors. Thanks for your continued input, Quacking Plums (where d'you get that name from?)

QuackingPlums
Approved Member

Post by QuackingPlums »

If you *want* anodizing you can get it done clear so that it still looks like aluminium but with the corrosion resistance that ano provides. Again, just for info - I'll have two sets in any case please!

My forum name comes from an Alan Partridge sketch that is suitably obscure that few people have heard of: the one where he accuses farmers of genetically modifying chickens so that they're bigger than normal ones, feeding beef burgers to swans and growing plums with beaks... The farmer being interviewed storms out, leaving Alan with his "quacking plums"... :lol:

kaszal
Approved Member

Post by kaszal »

Oh I see. Mine's just from my surname. My first name is Luke so I should have used something like Skywalker!

Do you think more people will want the plates if I get them colour anodised?

QuackingPlums
Approved Member

Post by QuackingPlums »

I dunno. The problem with colour is that once you offer one colour, people will want a different one. Before you know it, you'll have to support lots of different colours.
You could start with raw/clear and maybe black, then maybe extend the range only if there is sufficient interest. Can we run polls here on oople?

Still, it's a lot of extra effort, especially if you get messed around and you end up with surplus stock.

kaszal
Approved Member

Post by kaszal »

Yeah, I hear you. I might end up forking out over £200 of my own cash!! I enquire about clear only. Aluminium's not that prone to corrosion anyway because it's so reactive it forms a protective oxide layer.

uzzi
Approved Member

Post by uzzi »

Hi Luke,

Kudos on your project...I would take one too!

A slightly thicker plate would not harm things as it would be better than stock for strength or alternatively use stronger materials (not sure what sort of aluminium schumacher uses but I don't think it is aircraft grade stuff like the RC10). GPM released those thicker side plates many years back with milled fins. It would also also allow more material for your caphead screws to grip (less chance of stripping). As for the colours I reckon either clear anodising or black...keep it simple :D

john73

Post by john73 »

Hi Luke

Anodised purple would be nice, like the Bosscat works and Cougar 2 works. This would go nice with my planned carbon fibre Procat with Cat sx purple shocks. But you may not get enough interest in the purple and anodising can be expensive.

Cheers

John
4x Procat
2x Cougar
1x Cat XLS

kaszal
Approved Member

Post by kaszal »

Thanks for your input.

Shall I also put you down for a set also, John?

I better keep the width at 1.5mm because I don't want to alter the clearance on the diff and layshaft bearings. What type of aluminium do I need to ask for? You said the RC10 used aircraft grade. Is that definitely stronger?

I learned not to tighten the tapping screws too much because it can strip the thread and crush the bearing housings. They hardly ever need removing so I also use threadlock.

CNA75
Approved Member

Post by CNA75 »

Hi Luke,

I would definitely like to get some sets of these. However, how many will depend on the following: I wondered whether you would consider using the XL (later version)/XLS plates as your template? The reason being is that they have the two holes close together at the upper rear section of each plate. These holes allow for the option of either following the Procat/XLS suspension fitting (using the lower of the two holes) or the SWB/XL suspension fitting (using the higher of the two holes). See the picture below which illustrates this - zoom in to the bit where the upper rear suspension arms fix to the plates and you will see the second (SWB/XL) mounting hole just visible above where the upper rear suspension is mounted. If you are stuck for templates, I could help you out.....
IMG_3941.JPG

CATS
Approved Member

Post by CATS »

PLEASE DONT ANNODISE THEM LEAVE THEM CLEAR AS CAME WITH THE ORIGINAL CATS AND PROCAT KIT CAME WITH PLANE NOT ANNODISED SIDE PLATES (THE SPARES OPTION WAS BLACK)

SCOTT

kaszal
Approved Member

Post by kaszal »

I'll be going to the sheet metal co. on Monday. Luckily they've got one of the stronger aluminium alloys in stock. Don't worry Scott, the plates will be left natural like the kit items. Price looks like £13 a set plus postage. If you havn't already done so, please let me know if you want a set as this is a one-off production. Luke

kaszal
Approved Member

Post by kaszal »

Update: got the drawings from Fibre-Lyte! The metal fab. co. are sending me a sample of the material so I can check out the finish and try the self tap screws before we go ahead. THE PLATES WILL HAVE BOTH HOLES AT THE REAR SO THEY WILL FIT THE SWB AS WELL AS THE XLS AND PROCAT.

kaszal
Approved Member

Post by kaszal »

Update: Fibre-Lyte's drawings are perfect. I've given them to the laser cutters and put down the deposit. THE PLATES WILL BE CLEAR ANODISED. I've also sourced some hex head self-tapping screws like the ones in the kit. I'll supply these and an allen key with each set. You can use these or the original screws. I've checked them in a off-cut of alloy and both fit. However the new ones are high tensile and 'tap' more easily.