Dylon Dye Products

When it's R/C related, but doesn't fit anyplace else.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Re: Dylon Dye Products

Post by Coelacanth »

clhuke64 wrote:Krylon Fusion is a paint not a dye- I tried it on a RC Airplane body - all it did was flake off after it dryed. I guess it only works on certain plastics !!
It's not a paint, it's a dye, only in spray form. It requires no primer (as paint does) and bonds to the plastic, just as Pactra paint bonds to Lexan. It works great on most plastics and vinyl, I've used it to restore my Charger's interior. If you give it the full week to cure properly, it's not supposed to even scratch or chip off. What did you use it on, Monokote?
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

clhuke64
Approved Member

Post by clhuke64 »

I painted the body of my firebird (airplane, witch has a plastic body) and flaked off the next day !!! When it flaked off like regular Krylon paint, made me think that it is a paint product.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

clhuke64 wrote:I painted the body of my firebird (airplane, witch has a plastic body) and flaked off the next day !!! When it flaked off like regular Krylon paint, made me think that it is a paint product.
Maybe you prepped the surface differently...it suggests to make sure the surface is clean, I even used acetone to clean my interior console parts, and Simple Green to clean the vinyl parts, and rubbing alcohol to clean the nylon front bumper (aftermarket) for my Optima. In all those cases, the Krylon Fusion has adhered exceptionally well, and indeed appears to have bonded to the substrate beneath. Each of those had a week to cure, per the can's directions. If it was flaking off after only one day, maybe there was grease or something on the surface?

Here are some pictures of how nicely the semi-gloss black Krylon Fusion worked on my interior parts (the grimy, grubby white parts are the "before" shots). Spray paint wouldn't stick to flexible vinyl at all, which is why Krylon Fusion is a completely different animal than just rattle-can spray paint.

http://img822.yfrog.com/gal.php?g=tearrepair3.jpg

Check out the plastic console, which was faded black and I mated a burgundy end-piece to fix the original cracked black end-piece, and the vinyl door panels.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3