Gold shocks question.

General info, Q&A.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

two stick basher

Gold shocks question.

Post by two stick basher »

I'm getting ready to restore a number of gold shocks and I have been reading about using synthetic motor oil (Mobile 1 ect) vs Silicone oil as the synthetic seems to affect rubber seals the least.Question is if you use a synthetic oil wouldn't that limit you to a few 'weights'.I assume that in the case of 10W30 (ex.) the weight would be 10 but what if,like a lot of guys,you want to run 30 or 35 weight.Is the weight rating system for shock oils the same as the rating for synthetic motor oils?I figure if I'm gonna do them I want to make an informed desicion.

LowClassCC
Approved Member

Re: Gold shocks question.

Post by LowClassCC »

not even close.

the "wt" measurement of oil is a very generic term. for example 30 wt associated shock oil is not the same as 30 wt losi shock oil. here is a page that compares some of the different brands.

http://www.rcrcr.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=56:shock-oil-cps-vs-wt&catid=31:general&Itemid=46

now motor oils change their viscosity depending on temp. so if you set your car up with 10/30 on a cold day don't expect it to handle exactly the same on a hot day.

i take it that the main point is to save money. so will it work? sure.. but you can not compare a 30wt motor oil set up to a setup using 30wt shock oil. so you will be on your own to try to find a setup that will work with the oil.

you also mention rubber shock seals. the shock seals sold today are 99% silicone based not rubber. and when you figure in the cost of rebuilding shocks vs the performance gained over a shock that has not been rebuilt in some time it is not that bad. if a shock needs oil added then it needs a rebuild. if it leaks after a fresh rebuild the shafts may need to be replaced.

now my biggest worry about using motor oil vs silicone shock oil is all the additives and cleaners they put in it. silicone shock oil on the other hand is pure.

two stick basher

Post by two stick basher »

Thanks for the info.Money is not the issue as much as just trying to clear up some questions.Silicone would be prefered but I started reading some posts ect and it raised more questions than solved.This brings me back to 'go with what you know' as I've always used shock oil before although I wasn't aware of the difference in oils between companies.Very interesting.Thanks again...

mrhemi1971
Approved Member

Post by mrhemi1971 »

The way you build them too has a lot to do with shock life. If you're re-using shock shafts, POLISH them! Otherwise get new ones. Also pre-lube everything. If you assemble anything dry and move it, the seals will get small (micro) tears in them. Then they'll leak again. Also make sure to properly prep all plastic parts carefully. clean up all burrs and sharp edges as they can wear out a seal quickly. Hope this helps.... :wink:
ASSOCIATED OR NOTHING!!