Brushless in a Vintage Gold Pan

Brushless, lipo, spectrum, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

clhuke64
Approved Member

Brushless in a Vintage Gold Pan

Post by clhuke64 »

I know that this subject as been beaten to death, but I was wondering if any one has use this set up or anything like it ?? Here is the link: http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=10438&Product_Name=Brushless_Car_Power_System_3600kv/35A

Thanks for the "Help"

rbtp

Re: Brushless in a Vintage Gold Pan

Post by rbtp »

I'm new here so I'm not tired of this topic...

I just pulled my RC10T out of the attic and ordered a 60A + 4000kv brushless set up. I haven't received it yet, so I can't tell you how it performs. However, I looked at the 35A ESC and decided against it. I think it was the manufactures recommendations for on-road use that made me think off-road use would draw too many amps. I saw this in a couple differnt places, so its better to be safe. Going with the 60A give a little room extra room and only cost about $25 more.

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

Knowing if it was a 6-gear or Stealth would help in giving an answer. But I think a 3600-4000kv would be fine in either?

clhuke64
Approved Member

Post by clhuke64 »

I think from what I have seen on the site - It is a 6 speed transmission.

Thanks

treehugger
Approved Member

Post by treehugger »

is it 6 speed manual or automatic :lol:

my 6 gear didnt last very long when i went to brush lless and that was with some old ni cads
paul

but my driving skills are pretty bad :lol:

clhuke64
Approved Member

Post by clhuke64 »

"IT BETTER BE AN AUTO" - I'm to old for a stick shift !!! :lol:

N2Deep
Approved Member

Post by N2Deep »

God I can't wait to see when the brushless motor rips out the old 6 gear tranny system out of the case. Either that or the brushless motor would just end up smoking because the 6 gear won't be spinning cuz something may have already melted and fused together.

Toasted Coastie
Approved Member

Post by Toasted Coastie »

When I tested my gold pan 6 gear I did it with a 4900kv for 3 minutes. the car flew. I don't think I would do much more than 3 minutes though. 3600 might be ok, but probably not unless you use non-lipo batts...

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

This is a good topic, as I'm considering a brushless motor setup for my Turbo Optima on 8.4V. A 4-minute motor back in the 80's was really fast. I'm looking for something maybe just a tad quicker, but not something that'll blow away the gears. The T.O. has a limiter gear to help protect things, but still, I want to be fast within reason, not insane fast.

I'll be running NiMH batteries...what's a good motor range? I was thinking 12 to 14T and 33000 kV to 46000 kV, but maybe the latter is pushing it? Ideas?
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

paul
Approved Member

Post by paul »

Hi Guys,
Sorry to revive this old thread, but I'm looking for definitive info on the absolute top limits on a brushless motor vs the vintage 6 gear with a NIMH pack. I'd like to know the top motor model (3000, 3300, etc) and turn equivalent of what will NOT cause the idler gears to detonate.

I actually love running my vintage "beater" more than my b4.1 brushless, but I really need to rectify a bad situation with the vintage (overheating tamiya esc and 23T motor).

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Post by Eau Rouge »

You know, guys, back in the day, they were running REALLY hot modified motors on 6-gear trannies. They ran the 6-gear for a LONG time before the MIP came out. Granted, they weren't 7-turn brushed motors because we didn't have the battery technology back then, but we were also running 7-cell battery packs.

If you build the gearbox properly and have good, quality bearings that are oiled and clean, I don't see how you are going to blow up a 6-gear using brushless motors or LiPo batteries. DC current is electricity, no matter where you get it from. It's the same amount, the amps aren't any different for the most part. All but the most insane low turn brushless motors have brushed motor equals, and the power output is virtually identical.

Build the gearbox properly, and don't put a 4.5t motor in it on 3S and you should not have any problems. The only way you "blow up" a 6-gear is if you don't build it properly.

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

yeah, i think part of the reason this would occur is if you run lipo on 3s. that would definitely cause issues since that is a 33% increase in power right off the bat.

If you wanted to make it stronger, the newer idlers are supposed to be good, smoother and stronger.

OR, take two whooped outdrives, cut and grind off the outdrive part, and use the gears as steel idlers. then the only thing you should have a problem with is melted spur gears if the diff slips. and this shouldn't be an issue, as the diff balls have a very large pattern diameter, compared to the smaller steath transmission diffs, which should provide better torque capacity.

if you were to find a metal spur gear, and use metal idlers, I think the only problems you would ever have would be wear issues, but it should handle anything you throw at it.

ROH73
Approved Member

Post by ROH73 »

I concur with Eau Rouge. My first goldpan still has the original 6 gear trans with the original nylon idler gears. I've bashed it with modified motors for 25 years, repeatedly ran a 10 turn (54,000 rpm) brushed motor with 8 cells for drag racing with friends (it used to hit 60 mph with that combo) and raced two seasons of modified indoor oval with a 15 turn in it. After all that, the gears still look like new. The secret is a super smooth, well built trans. All the metal gears have been deburred/filed, everything is aligned well and I use outdrive bearings instead of the felt seal. That takes any wobble out of the outdrive gear, which is what wears the idler gear.

All that said, while I'm sure some of the extreme brushed/lipo combos could tear apart even some modern trans, IMO a reasonable brushed/2S lipo combo should be fine in the 6 gear trans. I plan on trying it one of these days.

Regards,

Robert

harvey
Approved Member

Post by harvey »

The only probem I've had with a 6 gear (bitd) was while running blackfoot tires on the road. It caused the diff to slip and melt the spur. It may come down to what you want to do. I'd do some speed runs with controlled acceleration in the street to try a powerful brushless system out, but if you pound out of well bermed corners on a high traction track all day long, I think that diff will need some mainenance. As a side note to those interested in pushing a 6 gear (i prefer the stealth), did you know that the idlers are the same size as the outdrive gears? And that if you cut the outdrive flush with the gear teeth, you'll end up with an idler? Made from steel? This is the setup I have in the thorpe 48 pitch 6 gear tranny I run in a Tekin mid chassis. As has been stated above, quality bearings in the idlers are important. I have actually installed new bronze bushings in the idlers, because the duratrax bearings I had been using kept exploding, sending nasty shrapnel thru the trans gears.

longboardnj
Approved Member

Post by longboardnj »

that motor setup will be ok with a good 6 gear trans.... good 6gear trans = bearings (i use out drive bearings too) and try using idle gears less then 20 years old :D (new ones are like $5 and worth it) ... its like people said the 6 gear can take a beating.... i would run my old 6gear with a race motor, race battery pack, and truck foam tires... the real beating the trans took was that i would run this car with my dad or one of my buddys driving a real car with me in the passenger seat with the remote out the window... so i would be running about 30-45mph for about 5-10 minutes ... :twisted: