Buds orange CAT belt

The place for all things Schumacher.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

kaszal
Approved Member

Buds orange CAT belt

Post by kaszal »

I've got an orange belt by Buds Racing Products. Does anyone know how these are better than the kit item? It feels more plastic and less "belt" like (?)

Also, looking for some new CAT driveshafts (not one ways) ta.

Luke

Jay Dub
Approved Member

Re: Buds orange CAT belt

Post by Jay Dub »

The orange or red series of urethane belts were produced and sold by several manufacturers. They do vary chemicaly (slightly) from company to company in thier makeup. However as far as you are concerned it doesn't matter. They offer less rolling resistance, stretch, and a better tooth form compared to the stock (neoprene) kit units. This translates to a more efficient car with less servicing. These belts will also last many times longer than the stock kit belt. I ran one belt in all of my Schumacher cars (even though I sold them myself). From my original XLS up through my procat (s). I put HUNDREDS of runs on it, and it still looks good to day (20 plus years later). -Jeff

kaszal
Approved Member

Post by kaszal »

I see. Thanks Jay. I'll install it next time I rebuild the transmission.

Know anyone who's got some new CAT driveshafts?

kaszal
Approved Member

Post by kaszal »

Hi Jeff

I'm just rebuilding the transmission on my Procat (takes ages!) and got out the orange belt, voila...

I'm racing it again on Sunday - you reckon I should definitely fit the orange belt? Someone said they can be more slippy - but my standard belt doesn't slip - got it set up sweet.

Jay Dub
Approved Member

Post by Jay Dub »

If you have an orange belt run it! I do not think they are more "slippy". In fact because of soft teeth on the stock neopreen belt, it will quickly become frayed, and more "slippy" than any of the orange type belts. I would say that when new both belts are about the same in that department, but the orange belts quickly surpass the stock belts. One thing also that people don't understand is that by nature, belts are intended to be run tight. If a belt has too much play, then the mesh between the belt and its pulley can become a problem. As torque is applied to the drive line, the belt will want to climb away from its mating teeth (read skip), and there will be a pitch difference between the belt and the pulley (belt = a larger raduis, and the pulley's radius stays the same). This will quickly want to wear a belt out, and round over pulley teeth. This is where the orange belt really shines, because it can be run tight, and remain efficient because of the materials it is made of. -Jeff

uzzi
Approved Member

Post by uzzi »

Jay speaks the truth there especially on these fine pitch belts run them tight otherwise you will do more damage. In reality it was probably too fine a pitch for it to be run in an offroad buggy. Even touring cars nowadays have much coarser belts to withstand modern BL techonology. I remember standing near the end of the straight at the TITC race in Thailand and the likes of Surikan and Andy Moore duking it out. You could hear the clacking sounds of slipping belts as they jam on the brakes, I guess running alloy pulleys, front spools and 3.5 turn motors will do it.

kaszal
Approved Member

Post by kaszal »

Thanks guys. Instead of using the kit belt tensioner (which wasn't very effective) I've put spacers between the front gearbox and housing brackets. I reckon my belt needs a spacer of about 3mm to run right. There was a detailed tuning article on the Procat. I've got a hard copy but I've forgotten what website I got it from. Isobarik mentioned it in the "XLS vintage racer" thread.

kaszal
Approved Member

Post by kaszal »

The orange belt seems a bit longer so I had to move the front gearbox forward a little more. Got some 1.5mm thick plastic off eBay and cut some spacers.

Jay Dub
Approved Member

Post by Jay Dub »

I will be building a "Procat" racer in the near future, and will be using the std pitch belts (all orange however). If I had my way, I would use all Bosscat belts, and diff components. I am just not sure if they can be fitted to the front however. 8) . -Jeff

kaszal
Approved Member

Post by kaszal »

The Bosscat rear pro-diff fits the Procat and is the best diff - smoother than the MMS nylon diff plus it's sealed. Will you run the heavy duty 7mm belts in the rear? I've been using the 5mm ones and havn't slipped yet. Is it worth getting a set of 7mm belts? I assume these can handle more power.

Jay Dub
Approved Member

Post by Jay Dub »

Yes they can handle more power, but they will increase driveline drag :roll: . This may or may not be an issue, as many brushless systems have very little cogging or natural "drag brake" and need to have drag brake added. -Jeff

buttmonkey1969

Re: on eBay

Post by buttmonkey1969 »

kaszal
Approved Member

Post by kaszal »

Hi Carl, that orange belt will go nicely with your new motor plates ;)

Proper bullet-proof transmission.

buttmonkey1969

Post by buttmonkey1969 »

Hey Luke,
Yes it will !! the plates should arrive any day I expect :D thanks !
Carl