The start of my "Team Themed" rides....

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

delsami
Approved Member

Re: The start of my "Team Themed" rides....

Post by delsami »

i was afraid you would say hand sanding lol. i will try, power tools aren't the answer on this huh....i destroyed a tub with the wire wheel haha
xxx,lunchbox,blackfoot,t4,2 rc10ce's,rc10 graphite,rc10 worlds car,2 rc10 t's,xx4---GONE:mip4wdrc10,rpm worlds,houge rc10,super clod,sand scorcher,f103,frog,xxxt,b2,b3,tc3,jrx2,fox,yr4-m2 usa,yz-10 many more LOL

cyclepsych0
Approved Member

Post by cyclepsych0 »

You don't HAVE to hand sand. Thats not what I did. I used an air powered 90 degree sander. I used a 2" arbor with 3" sanding discs and aluminum abrasive pads.(Kind of like an S.O.S. pad) The half inch overlap all the way around with the larger discs helps with feathering/blending the surface since they will fold a little..... :D I never even touched these tubs with a wire wheel. I think that would cause more problems than you'd be fixing... :lol: 8)
"Relax. Alright? My Old Man is a television repairman....... Got this ultimate set of tools... I can fix it!!" - Spicoli

m_vice
Approved Member

Post by m_vice »

excellent stuff cyclepsych0, love the green :mrgreen: and this are all very unique chassis that will make very cool cars.
I am looking forward. :D

delsami
Approved Member

Post by delsami »

ahhh.. thank! that makes sense, got it and will try
xxx,lunchbox,blackfoot,t4,2 rc10ce's,rc10 graphite,rc10 worlds car,2 rc10 t's,xx4---GONE:mip4wdrc10,rpm worlds,houge rc10,super clod,sand scorcher,f103,frog,xxxt,b2,b3,tc3,jrx2,fox,yr4-m2 usa,yz-10 many more LOL

vintage AE
Approved Member

Post by vintage AE »

that's awesome, definitely a money saving skill. Every pan chassis ends up being new and custom. 8)

treehugger
Approved Member

Post by treehugger »

[quote="cyclepsych0"]Well, I got all my powder coating back last Thursday. Overall I'm happy with it. It is definitely NEON GREEN in person although the pics don't really show it. I'll have to get better shots out in the sun after I find my camera charger... :roll: There are some slight imperfections. Some are my fault for assuming the coating was thicker than it really is. I should have feathered out some scratches a little finer than I did. Some are the coaters fault. Tiny fish-eyes/orange peel. None of it is bad enough to complain about as they did cut me deal on the price since I use them frequently for motorcycle parts. Plus these are all going to be built to run.....

i went through this when i did my colours i was told by a few impartial in the know types that there are imperfections in the alloy which boil out when they are baked causing the fish eyes not much you can do about it i got it down on the last few runs he dipped and stripped and shot the alloy before coating on the first runs he only shot the pans so maybe if you do some more get them dipped first

paul they look great i still have one green one left i will be keeping such a nice colour

Paul

cyclepsych0
Approved Member

Post by cyclepsych0 »

That makes sense Paul. I was kind of wondering about the variation in aluminum quality of these pans. Of the the 3 10/10t tubs I welded, one was a B stamp and the other 2 were C. The B stamp one would not weld as easily as the C's for some reason. Alomost like it may have been a tad more porous?.?. :?

But like I said before, I'm still happy with how these turned out. It was just the perfectionist in me coming out. :lol: :lol:

Miguel and Vintage AE, Thank you for the compliments. :D I need to soak my white parts in peroxide, and the standard buggy build will begin!!! :D :D :D
"Relax. Alright? My Old Man is a television repairman....... Got this ultimate set of tools... I can fix it!!" - Spicoli

Seabass
Business Member

Post by Seabass »

Those look really good man. I know what you mean about stuff not coming out exactly how you want.

You are going to end up with some really nice builds out of those tubs

Jake

JK Racing

Post by JK Racing »

I'm jealous...I have no ability to weld/sand a chassis and even have a snowballs chance in he!! of it coming out anywhere near as nice.

How are the builds going? you gonna run them local, let me know, i would love to see 'em running on a track.
--Joey --
Vintage A&L and Factory Works
Old School Racer & Vintage RC Car nut
JKRacingRC.com

treehugger
Approved Member

Post by treehugger »

JK
just dawned on me if you getting them powdered , the coater should media blast before coating to remove grease and crap (annodiseing ) as for scratchs i just used 120 grit on a D/A sander .i only did the underside and i also take of any sharp corners as the suface tention of the powder tends to show through so dont be shy on the edges

Paul