Here’s my idea to re-vitalize 2 wheel electric…

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB
Approved Member

Here’s my idea to re-vitalize 2 wheel electric…

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

Ok, so like most tracks 2 wheel electric buggy is dead at my home track. I really love the class and want to get it going again. My first thought was to just keep showing up with my TQ10 or B3 and seeing if anyone was interested. I think I could get quite a few to go in. I think I have a better idea though. I know no one is going to want to spend a lot of money so I figure we keep it simple. Stock brushed motors(maybe even bag motors), 2s lipo or 6 cell and any esc. The BIG TWIST will be that we check courtesy at the door! Our usual racing is fun and very competitive, but for the most part courteous. If someone is way faster than you on that particular night, you let them by. Most tracks are like that. I believe that’s the way it should be most of the time. If your competitive with someone you know it and won’t let them thru so easily, but if you’re clearly gonna lose to them you move over a few inches and let them by. I’m thinking we could do it differently. Guard your position at all costs!! Don’t let them by and hack at will! I don’t mean a free for all killer robot competition, but competitive heads up balls out racing! I think it would be fun as hell and a nice diversion from the other classes. Anyone agree, or disagree? I wanna hear it. I’m also looking for cheap fast spec motor recommendations. I love oval and only race oval so I want suggestions for that specifically. I’m busy at work so I may not be on for a few days, but please give input so I can approach the idea properly. Thanks for your help.
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

LowClassCC
Approved Member

Re: Here’s my idea to re-vitalize 2 wheel electric…

Post by LowClassCC »

when i started to get back into rc a few years ago 2wd was what i wanted to do. i jumped right in and got a ft b4. slowly i was able to pick up some cheap electronics. the small track that was the closest to me closed before i got what i needed to run her. she go boxed up for a while and brought back out last year. i then bought a b44 so i could run both 2 and 4wd classes. i headed out to pnt hobbies. (about an hour and a half drive each way but it was the closest track i found that ran 1/10 scale.) once i get there i don't see a single 2wd buggy or stadium truck. nor do i see any 4wd buggies. the classes people are running is dirt oval and a box stock slash class. that's it. so i decide at that point to build my wife a 2wd buggy. from their i have just been building. i had plans to start going up to pnt and trying to get others to start showing up for something other than slash or oval racing. then i find out that they do not allow non roar approved batteries to be ran. so there goes the hobbyking batteries idea for me.

at this point i am planning to build my own track out back to use. aprox 55'x60'. but this will still be a little ways down the road. anyway once i get the track built i am hoping to get some people to start coming out to run. once i can get a couple more people together i was wanting to do group trips up to pnt to race. that way i don't drive all that way just to find out me and my wife are the only ones there to run 2wd. so we wouldn't have enough for a race.

i would personally love to see 2 and 4wd buggies and 2wd stadium truck classes pick up and be run again in the area. but with even the new tracks that have went in locally lately being 1/8 scale style tracks it will be hard to gather interest in 1/10 scale offroad i think.

mikea96
Approved Member

Post by mikea96 »

I stopped in at my local track today which is Tacoma RC raceway to find out what the guys are running for 4wd so i can set up my B44 and they said 2wd and SC trucks are the most popular there.

dldiaz
Approved Member

Post by dldiaz »

I grew up with 2wd buggies, I don't think anything will ever be cooler to me. My local track also has very weak turnout for this class, usually not enough to have a separate class, so we end up running a kind of run-what-you-brung electric class (2wd, 4wd, stadium trucks...).
((At the same time, the short-course trucks usually have enough entries for 3 or 4 full heats.))

I think the "rubbin' is racin'" idea sounds fun, although I don't know if that would be enough to jump-start interest in 2wd electric.

As far as motors for a spec brushed class, what about a lower turn, sealed-can motor like the HPI 15-turn "Firebolt" - they can be had for pretty cheap (probably 12 bucks each, in a bulk order), they are mostly tamper-proof, and they can go several races before the brushes are toast.
-dldiaz

Brandon G
Approved Member

Post by Brandon G »

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB wrote: Guard your position at all costs!! Don’t let them by and hack at will!
That sounds like the spec Slash class at my local track. :roll:

tecnica2001
Approved Member

Post by tecnica2001 »

At our local track 2wd is making a comeback and is proving to have staying power..we race Wednesdays and Saturdays and for the most part, 2wd and 4wd provide the most competitive classes.

2wd Stadium truck has always been strong, short course on the other hand has started to phase out a bit...

The problem are the racers, 2wd buggy requires,lots tunning and lots of practice, something most racers aren't willing to do.
Life is like a box of chocolate, you never know what R/C car you're gonna get next!!!

Der Kommissar
Approved Member

Post by Der Kommissar »

There is a new local track near me and I'm praying 2wd Buggies and Trucks have a strong showing.
If it isn't broke, I haven't driven it yet.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

Der Kommissar wrote:There is a new local track near me and I'm praying 2wd Buggies and Trucks have a strong showing.
where's it at? your not all that far from me.

Der Kommissar
Approved Member

Post by Der Kommissar »

Boyertown/Gilbertsville. Modelbahn Ott moved to Grosser Road and Rt 100. Pretty decent dirt track going on. I think they have a Facebook page if your on there at all. Let me know if your ever heading over. I have nothing race ready, but I'm working on it! :mrgreen:

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

a few years back when i was big into collecting the nascar diecast stuff, i used to go down to the gilbertsville fire company once a month for the toy show they had there. it's like an hour ride for me......not bad.

wyldbill
Approved Member

Post by wyldbill »

i drove past Modelbahn Ott's over the weekend and saw the construction of a new track. the layout looked pretty decent. i havent been out that way since the last gilbertsville train show when my dad and i stopped in to take a look at the new shop.

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

Next time I'm up in pottstown, I'll have to make a point to drive up that way and check it out. that's pretty close to me all things considered....

Der Kommissar
Approved Member

Post by Der Kommissar »

Not to hijack this thread, but I stopped in to talk to Bill Ott and it seemed st the time they really had no plan for racing. I had a few ideas but I think he is more interested in trains than R/C's. I used to race the black top oval behind the old shop way back in 90-91 and I think that only went for so long because Mark Patrizzi(splling) ran the racing portion. I hope something becomes of it since it is the closest for me. I've been looking for a store front for years where I could set up, but the problem is anyplace with any kind of property is just out of my price range anymore. I miss the old track at the Limerick Flea Market! :mrgreen:

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB
Approved Member

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

Impossible to jack a thread in off-topic, and definitely impossible to jack any thread I’ve ever started. Most of them don’t make any sense to begin with. I have a few followers of my idea and I think once everyone sees how fun it is more will follow. In the meantime, my sprint car arrived. It’s the second biggest class. Just needs a tear down and rebuild which will happen tomorrow if I don’t get distracted by any shiny objects. I’ve been collecting some pretty cool RC10 parts too. If I get the energy I might start that project tomorrow too. There; I just jacked my own thread(not the first time)so you wouldn’t feel guilty. And I still can’t stay F’ing logged in at home(satellite internet sux!)so no cool smilies, just copy and paste as fast as I can for the brief moments I’m logged in. Other than that I just have to lurk around like a freak on a leash. Thanks to everyone for their input and I’ll get some video if it catches on. And just remember…

There’s a fine line between the loving gaze of an admirer and the piercing stare of a psychopath.

"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken