which is the correct opponent ??

The place for all things Traxxas.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

michi
Approved Member

which is the correct opponent ??

Post by michi »

Hello Traxxas-experts,

I’m thinking about a small collection of 2wd buggy’s which have been the true opponents on the racetracks in the late 80’s. 2wd was not very popular in my environment . I remenber entirely Ultimas , RC10 and at most a few Schumachers.
Traxxas was offered by Graupner in Germany back in the days and not really popular. So, which would be the correct Traxxas buggy on my shelf aside my Ultima 1 ( 1987 ) ? There are often really low priced Radicators in eBay. I like the look and it would also be nice to drive a unknown buggy .
My Problem. Which is the time corresponding modell and how to identify on photos ?

Thanks for any help an best regards

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Re: which is the correct opponet ??

Post by Mr. ED »

I may be wrong but I think 1987 is more the bullet era? If you're looking for the best a radicator 2 pro expert is the top graupner released. I don't think it was released as a kit in the US by traxxas (by then they must have been close to releasing the TRX-1

michi
Approved Member

Re: which is the correct opponent ??

Post by michi »

After reading more and more topics in this section , I’m sure you are right with your guess. The bullet seems to be the Ultima1 corresponding Traxxas buggy. Interesting how similar the buildup of the ultima1 compared to the bullet seems. Even the body/Drivercage is looking quite similar.
It is too bad. A bullet is much harder to find than a Radicator , at least in german ebay. :D

vintage racer
Approved Member

Post by vintage racer »

There has been 2 Bullets in the for sale section recently for quite cheap but neither had body shell.

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

Graupner was distributing kyosho, yokomo and other cars at the time of the first ultima but only started importing Traxxas much later in europe. Robbe was the other main player in germany but did not import traxxas either. That's why the bullet is not common in germany. I didn't see traxxas cars in the french magazines or UK magazines of those early years either. The belgian importer BMI brought Mugen, Hirobo, Ishipla, marui, and Nichimo was sold here too. Maybe you could find a nice Marui galaxy? I think those were very popular right before or at the same time as the gen 1 ultima. A frog, falcon or fox would be a nice more or less time correct club-rlevel opponent too

michi
Approved Member

Post by michi »

A Galaxy is really a nice idea. I don’t know if this buggy was competitive , but I like the look very much. A Fox would be 100% time fitting, but for any reason, I don’t like him. I purchased a hard used one a few years ago, because I never hold one in my hands before and I was just interested in the buildup. I’m sure many driver who raced a fox back in the days get mad about this mass of scews to solve before you can reach the electric (respectively the steering). If Tamiya , I strangely would prefer a Falcon. Probably because I remember a incredible fast one at a little clubrace nearby in the late 80’s. Indesrcibable ugly :lol: ( neonpink body and the original yellow rims ) , but eminent fast . In this races ( indoor on Tenniskarpet ) 4WD and 2WD were mixed and this guy allways kept up with optimas and mini mustangs. :shock:
On pain of falling out of topic, but when captured the first Losi 2wd european racetracks ??

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

The ultima turbo was out before the losi came to live, even ultima pro I think. Other cars you might think off: the French MRC's and perhaps UK's Mardave (not sure about the time)

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

The falcons high gear ratio made it fast and well suited to stock and mild modified moters, and the 4 big volume oil shocks made it a real good value. The weak points were the jumping dogbones and plastic axle cups, along with the weakness of the connection between the chassis and front section. I remeber all this very well because my friend always beat my ball-beared boomerang with ease.
Do you know which 2WD buggies Roobbe offered in those days?

michi
Approved Member

Post by michi »

I just found one Robbe 2WD buggy in a magazine from 1988. Robbe "Mescalero" :mrgreen: This car was very basic and not a real enemy for ultimas or RC10 . I'm sorry to say, i have no scanner. I'm sure you would be amused to see this car .

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

I have an old robbe mini-catalog from 88 or 87, 86: the days I was still dreaming of my first RC. The name mescalero doesn't ring a bell but I remeber the graupner catalogs car looked way better in general

michi
Approved Member

Post by michi »

Maybe, you remember the Robbe Mercedes 190 or Robbe Peugeot 205 Turbo Rally ? The Mescalero had the same chassis. Imagine this chassis with offroad tires and a body which could be a mixture of a grasshopper and a yokomo dogfighter RPS :lol: This was nearly the Mescalero :D

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

I remember the presto: a jeep with blue plastic swing arms, which was just an electrification of the nitro version. I also remember a porsche 959? same as the 1/12 paris-dakar porsche of Tamiya). Unfortunately they didn't show body-off shots of most cars; I guess that' was because most were not very impressive chassis :lol:
Sometimes I whish I had a scanner, but then I'd have to go and look through the piles of magazines too often :mrgreen:

Chewbacca
Approved Member

Post by Chewbacca »

Mr. ED wrote: ... If you're looking for the best a radicator 2 pro expert is the top graupner released...
I'm not sure if that is correct as far as I know there wasn't an "expert" version of the radicator 2 only of the first radicator. I have 2 Radicator (1) experts, and know the 2 shared some of the parts, but only had the standard gear (no slipper and ball diff ?)
and a cheapo plastic chassis. The next time one shows up on the bay I'll post pics.
*** POWDER - KING ***

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

I don't have the name right, sorry. The version I'm referring to has a carbon chassis with angled up sides.

Chewbacca
Approved Member

Post by Chewbacca »

Mr. ED wrote:I don't have the name right, sorry. The version I'm referring to has a carbon chassis with angled up sides.
That would be the car released by Graupner as "Radicator Expert"

There actually was a nip grafite / carbon chassis for €70 on the German bay site. Can post link to dealer if anyone is interested.
*** POWDER - KING ***