jeeez.......................

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

Looooong overdue if you ask me. Yes, $50 for a nose plate is high. But, considering we're talking about what is probably the most significant RC car EVER made, prices are incredibly low. Just look at recent Bruiser prices. Totally insane. The Bruiser is NOT rare, there's usually half a dozen nice completes up on ebay on any given day. We've just been very, very lucky with RC10 prices. They are still very, very reasonable.

btw, AE stopped making many original RC10 parts a long time ago. I don't think this has anything at all to do with Thunder Tiger. I tried to order a bunch of parts for the gold tub directly from AE over 5 years ago, and most parts were discontinued back then. I was lucky to get a few of the last original 3 piece wheels and front tires and a few other parts. The rest were long gone. Why would they keep making parts for the RC10 tub? It's obsolete and hasn't been in production for a decade now.

I'm done too. I've got enough spares for my cars. I've got a mint 6010, a nice stealth race car set-up and a baja bug conversion that will be my runner. I'm not a pack-rat. The only RC10 related item I'm still looking for is a Technacraft Aerofoil.

Tadracket
Approved Member

Post by Tadracket »

MelvinsArmy wrote:Looooong overdue if you ask me. Yes, $50 for a nose plate is high. But, considering we're talking about what is probably the most significant RC car EVER made, prices are incredibly low. Just look at recent Bruiser prices. Totally insane. The Bruiser is NOT rare, there's usually half a dozen nice completes up on ebay on any given day. We've just been very, very lucky with RC10 prices. They are still very, very reasonable.

btw, AE stopped making many original RC10 parts a long time ago. I don't think this has anything at all to do with Thunder Tiger. I tried to order a bunch of parts for the gold tub directly from AE over 5 years ago, and most parts were discontinued back then. I was lucky to get a few of the last original 3 piece wheels and front tires and a few other parts. The rest were long gone. Why would they keep making parts for the RC10 tub? It's obsolete and hasn't been in production for a decade now.
I have to totally agree with you there. If they kept selling the old stuff, there would be little demand to make anything new. The R & D would suffer.

And as for the 10 being the most significant car ever made, look at some of the Tamiya stuff that goes for crazy money. Nothing against you Tamiya fans or Tamiya, but they are simply substandard construction compared to the RC10.

I watched a Super Lobo (I know, not Tamiya) sell for over $100 dollars. The car was a proprietary plastic piece of crap. But it was the second RC I ever owned and probably the first for many people. I put Tamiya in the same category. At least Tamiya has upgrade ability though.

I say, let the prices soar. I will finally feel like I got in on the ground floor (or close to it) of something special.
He's an idiot. Comes from upbringing. His parents are probably idiots too.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

:lol: :lol: ah, the super lobo. i have one in a box at my parents house, along with my tyco turbo hopper.

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

Wasn't the Lobo series a Sears R/C car? Tamiya was nowhere near that bad. They actually made some great performing cars. No RC10, but much closer to an RC10 than to a Lobo or a Turbo Hopper.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

yup, the lobo was a sears car.

wyldbill
Approved Member

Post by wyldbill »

hey wow my first r/c cars,somewhere at my dad's house i have a lobo 1 and a lobo 2. i think the lobo 1 has stripped trany gears and i cant get the rear apart to fix it but the lobo 2 still runs. i didnt know they were worth anything i was gonna give it to my daughter.

terry.sc
Approved Member

Post by terry.sc »

I can see how nose plates get expensive. Using the kit steering setup the threads in the plate wear out faster than any other part and they haven't been available from Associated for at least 3 years. I fitted the (still available from Tower) MIP ballraced steering kit, it was cheaper than buying a decent new nose. If anyone wants to swap a new nose plate for one of my worn out ones I have a few :lol:

The rear arm mounts are another part that breaks but hasn't been available for some time, so impossible to get hold of. Still, it would have been cheaper to buy InetRCs alloy ones.

Thankfully a lot of the parts are still available from Tower.

aeiou
Approved Member

Post by aeiou »

I'm not sure if they would sell for 10X MSRP like those rear mounts did, but I have to wonder what a NIB set of Technacraft wheels would bring on eBay?

shodog
Approved Member

Post by shodog »

aeiou wrote:I'm not sure if they would sell for 10X MSRP like those rear mounts did, but I have to wonder what a NIB set of Technacraft wheels would bring on eBay?

I would estimate between $250-$350

Dr. Robotnik
Approved Member

Tecnacraft wheels

Post by Dr. Robotnik »

shodog wrote:
aeiou wrote:I'm not sure if they would sell for 10X MSRP like those rear mounts did, but I have to wonder what a NIB set of Technacraft wheels would bring on eBay?

I would estimate between $250-$350
Some people may pay that in a private sale :oops: I'm just saying is all :D

Tadracket
Approved Member

Post by Tadracket »

MelvinsArmy wrote:Wasn't the Lobo series a Sears R/C car? Tamiya was nowhere near that bad. They actually made some great performing cars. No RC10, but much closer to an RC10 than to a Lobo or a Turbo Hopper.
I guess that was unfair to Tamiya to put them in the same catagory as the Lobo. But to be fair to Nikko (I think that is who made it) the Super Lobo was a close match to the Grasshopper. The Lobo 2 was a waste of time.

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

I paid $135 for a set of Technacraft RC10 wheels on ebay and $155 for a set off ebay. I've never seen a $350 RC car wheelset.

Tadracket
Approved Member

Post by Tadracket »

I remember seeing some of the T-Maxx sets go over $300 back a few years ago. Aluminum parts have come down a lot recentely.

shodog
Approved Member

Post by shodog »

MelvinsArmy wrote:I paid $135 for a set of Technacraft RC10 wheels on ebay and $155 for a set off ebay. I've never seen a $350 RC car wheelset.
You know you got very lucky on those sets because if they were labeled properly, the tecnacraft whores would have been on them in a heartbeat.

shodog
Approved Member

Post by shodog »

Tadracket wrote:I remember seeing some of the T-Maxx sets go over $300 back a few years ago. Aluminum parts have come down a lot recentely.
Tecnacraft was long gone by the time the Tmaxx came out. the largest wheels I saw them make were Clodbuster and USA-1 wheels.