motor help

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

pawpaw

motor help

Post by pawpaw »

what would be the best power plant for the 10t i picked up another one this week end and it going to be a runner

SteveK
Approved Member

Re: motor help

Post by SteveK »

Well that's a question that could get you 5000 different answers LOL

Let's start by finding out your skill level, the equipment you already have, what kind of running you will do, and also your budget.

Here is my personal preference. I'm not a speed freak, I have several cars, and I am not wild about working on or tuning motors. I would rather go with a less-expensive motor that won't be too much for less expensive batteries or speed controls, and that won't require too much maintenance.

If you were setting everything up from scratch, I would spend more money on the ESC, which will last you many, many years. Sealed endbell motors now perform pretty well, and are very inexpensive. They run from 20 turns down to the 12 turn motors that power the current Traxxas trucks. You don't really have to tune them or rebuild them or anything; just keep them clean between runs, oil the bushings, and use them until they wear out. HPI has a 15 turn motor for $14.

You can always upgrade to a better motor, a machine-wound modified motor in the 16-19 turn range is good for a truck.

Just make sure your ESC can handle the motor. I'd get a reversing ESC with a really low, or no, motor limit. That will let you use it with almost anything in the future, and you can lock-out reverse if you want to go racing.

Erich Reichert
Approved Member

Post by Erich Reichert »

Paw give us some details like what your electronics you have in the truck are now, where are you running the truck (if its a track how long... guessing... is the straight and is the layout tight or sweeping), also the simple stuff... are you looking for brushless or brushed, stuff like that. Tell us about you. I'm more than happy to help you out as is almost anyone else here. Shoot me a PM if you have any questions.

SteveK
Approved Member

Post by SteveK »

Erich Reichert wrote:Paw give us some details like what your electronics you have in the truck are now, where are you running the truck (if its a track how long... guessing... is the straight and is the layout tight or sweeping), also the simple stuff... are you looking for brushless or brushed, stuff like that. Tell us about you. I'm more than happy to help you out as is almost anyone else here. Shoot me a PM if you have any questions.
What are your dreams, what are your ambitions? Who was your greatest influence growing up?

Erich Reichert
Approved Member

Post by Erich Reichert »

LOL! I miss this board
:mrgreen:

karnivool
Approved Member

Post by karnivool »

it is a crack up there is no doubt

Heffay
Approved Member

Post by Heffay »

ok... so it seems the o.p. does not remember this thread.
i picked up a very beaten 10t recently.
i put a brushless system in and fried the spur gear in 3 days. :mrgreen:

i recommend putting a brushless system in... i used the novak gtb e.s.c. and novak 10.5
lotsa fun!
JRX2 in the late 80s... have since come to my senses with the RC10T, yes of course it's vintage! Wife is always destroying her Tamiaya LunchBox to call me her personal mechanic a few more times. Enjoying the fresh build of an RJ Speed Digger.

Jay Dub
Approved Member

Post by Jay Dub »

Sound like you need a cooler running spur, or maybe radiated pinion :P .

Heffay
Approved Member

Post by Heffay »

Well, hopefully not an irradiated pinion! :mrgreen:

It was lowest gearing possible, I think... 87T spur and 14T pinion.
I'm was gonna get a few 81T spurs from Tower and the Robinson odd size 15-25 pinion set to try a few different ratios.

At least right now, the truck is more of an asphalt burner than anything, so top speed is more fun for me. :D
JRX2 in the late 80s... have since come to my senses with the RC10T, yes of course it's vintage! Wife is always destroying her Tamiaya LunchBox to call me her personal mechanic a few more times. Enjoying the fresh build of an RJ Speed Digger.