Tamiya Hornet Restoration.

The place for all things Tamiya.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

matthew john
Banned Member

Tamiya Hornet Restoration.

Post by matthew john »

i got this hornet a while back with a few other cars i got.pretty much threw this in for free. used when i got it, and worn out too.first time i ran it , it fell apart. tie rods kept coming off,msc kept sticking. didnt have the heart to throw it out or get rid of it. i had always wanted one of these things when i was little, id see the re releases in magazines some where and daydreamed about getting one. was all shocked and excited when i got this one,thought id never find another one so i held on to it.
over the last year i managed to collect some parts, i laid them all out to see wat i got. i actually got some hornet rollers from gary, and one of them was realy nice, so i decided to use it for parts to restore my mine. im basically tearing it down, and cleaning it, swapping a few parts, rebuilding the trans, new original tires,and ill finally have a normal set of shocks up front!!
not building it as a runner, just a shelfer, the body aint so great, but its my first hornet so im gonna try and keep most of it original, later ill build up a better shelfer.

heres the pics before i did any thing to it.

i have some tear down pics posted up shortly, and pics of the parts car.

matthew john
Banned Member

Re: Tamiya Hornet Restoration.

Post by matthew john »

heres pic of the parts car ill be using.

one last pic before tear down.

starting the tear down.

next step will be tearing down the parts car, and the cleaing of all parts, then deciding what parts ill be replacing.
tear down pics of the parts car will be coming soon.

matthew john
Banned Member

Post by matthew john »

Parts car tear down.

i got all the parts cleaned up,they still have that dusty look to them.thinking of spraying a coat of black over them later on.

got most of one car completed. since the parts car had more nicer parts, i used more of it i think.
i used the tub and speed control,motor and wiring harness from the parts car, along with the shocks.
the rest of the parts ill make another hornet out of it too , probably a runner.
just gotta finish the body and get my rims and tires sorted out. will post pics later.

matthew john
Banned Member

Post by matthew john »

pics of the car almost complete. i got a set of nip rear tires ,fronts will be fine for the shelf, tires are cut up and glued to the rim.would never hold up if it was a runner! also need to find a set of rear rims or refurbish a set i have. next is stripping the body, repainting it . i did have a nice hornet i got from redscampi, but i traded it off for some rc10 stuff, and now im wishing i had it still. i realy need to find some decent bodies and then ill be set !!

heres some pics.

all the parts look like they are dusty, but they arent. its like a white haze that wont come out, both cars were like that. thinking of a coat of black paint.

matthew john
Banned Member

Post by matthew john »

update on my hornet restoration. ill upload some pics later on .
click on the link below to watch my update vid on youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7xZeY9smmg
"your attitude in general and had robbed you of any credibility in my opinion. honesty costs nothing by the way."
a quote from Bormac. i think he's rite.