one of the best cages i have seen

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Bormac
Approved Member

Re: one of the best cages i have seen

Post by Bormac »

Im beginning to think you guys are right. I have just removed the old mechanical speed controller,servo etc.. from the truck and installed an esc with reverse. If I was to keep this truck what can i do to soften up the suspension? Is there a 4 link kit that will fit the Bruiser? Im not so sure i need to have 3 speeds, what other transmissions to people fit to these trucks?
I'd like to get some kind of brushless set up possibly (NOVAK 'GOAT' maybe?), better tyres and just crawl this thing round my garden bed for some relaxing r/c.
What I like about this truck is the scale realism and ofcourse who hasnt seen the 3 speed footage over at TAMIYA101.COM . :mrgreen: I like that they drive them through mud,water etc.... :lol:
-Jason.

Still known as- bormac

My collection-http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom.asp?id=10980

Doc J33P
Approved Member

Post by Doc J33P »

Now you are wanting to tinker with suspension and you will either find stuff you can buy or just make it. Grab some delrin and all-thread, some Traxxas Revo ends, and some Tamiya link mounts and start building. But you will need to modify the chassis and then before you know it you are into a rebuild/custom truck. That is what a lot of people do. I would suggest getting a piece of 1/2*1/2" steel hollow rod and bend it up and then cut it in half and braze away. You can make a chassis that will mount all of your driveline in about an hour if you are not worried about looks. Or if you are like me you can waste an entire week making one.

As for softening the suspension up that is easy - get rid of the leafs and go sprung. Get some of your old buggy shocks and mate that to your 4-link. Now you can flex more and have better articulation.

Edit: I avoid brushless (as do many in crawling) because of cogging. There are hundreds of debates on RCC. If you are wanting power look into a 7T Cobalt motor. My comp rig can literally move my 1:1 Jeep on a 3sLipo and that puller motor.

Edit #2: The 3-speed that Tamiya makes for these trucks is a great basher trans. For crawling little to no one keeps them in there. If you want to crawl grab an Axial Trans of the bay for cheap. Maybe a Savage trans? Hell, I even know of guys running Ass. Stealths in their comp rigs. What ever it is you need to consider what your goal is. Do you want a backyard "hey look at me crawl over this flower wall", or a "holy sh!t, did that really crawl up that" rig? The later of the two costs well into the $1200 mark if built right. That means good components all around - lockers, axles, c's, knuckles, digs, high end JR servos, etc... That is just for a shafty (shaft driven). Go into the Berg realm or MOA and it is a whole new game.

As you can tell I am into it all. I hit is hard for a while and am now in limbo as I am sick of competing. Been to three semi-national events this year. I am gonna focus on scale now as the guys around here love to for it more than comps.
35 years of RC and still broke!

Bormac
Approved Member

Post by Bormac »

Brilliant information, thanks Doc.
-Jason.

Still known as- bormac

Halgar
Approved Member

Post by Halgar »

let me know if you post a build thread about this, it's definitely something I'd enjoy following. I picked up a near mint HiLux a year or so ago and besides a lack of funds to do anything with it, it's really hard for me to modify a relatively rare (mint ) chassis. Don't get me wrong, I salivate over what I've seen others build, whether it's a stock shelf queen or a full on, fully abused trail rig. I absolutely love the scale realism of the whole thing as is, and while I'd love to run her, I also know that there's just no replacing broken vintage parts that aren't supported anymore.
klavy69 wrote:... when I give you s&#t its a loan...I want it back!

Doc J33P
Approved Member

Post by Doc J33P »

Hell, you want a build thread?!

Here is what I have done for my TJ. Tell me if this is not fanatical obsession for an rc creation?!

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showthread.php?t=127566
35 years of RC and still broke!

Bormac
Approved Member

Post by Bormac »

Doc you are a F R E A K !!! I mean that in a good way :D . Mate that build is just INCREDIBLE!
-Jason.

Still known as- bormac

badhoopty
Approved Member

Post by badhoopty »

Doc J33P wrote:Hell, you want a build thread?!

Here is what I have done for my TJ. Tell me if this is not fanatical obsession for an rc creation?!

dude that is totally badass...

Prince Steve
Approved Member

Post by Prince Steve »

Doc J33P wrote:Hell, you want a build thread?!

All I can say is WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Totally AWESOME..
P.S. ( Sorry for drooling on your post ) :lol:
AKA ( settin03 R/C hobbies and more ) on Ebay

Since being on this site I have found that I have too many parts and R/C Models. Please help me get rid of them. ;-)