Rip Van Winkle just woke up.

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Obsessed

Rip Van Winkle just woke up.

Post by Obsessed »

I am completely new to this forum and just wanted to make a formal intro as I can see I will be spending lots of time here. I just found it yesterday, and have already dedicated HOURS to reading the posts.....I will simply have to lie and tell my wife the mower wouldn't start today....and I was so distraught that I didn't take out the trash....and so on...It's a slippery slope.

My best friend as a kid got me into RC cars. My first car was a Tamiya Hornet in maybe 1985 and came from my parents. My buddy and I found a local track that opened just after we got interested and we started racing them. There were only 2 classes, 2WD and 4WD. Buggys, Frogs, Blackfoots, you name it were all lumped into one catagory.

I loved the 4WD and needed a better car, so I bought an AYK Viper. Unfortunately I could never get it working correctly (dumb kid) and ended up selling it (even dumber) and replacing it with a used Tamiya Boomerang, which was a huge step up from a Hornet in a race!!! I bought a Twister motor for it. What a freakin blast!

Then somone showed up to the track with an RC10 and things were never the same. Kyosho hit at the same time. Even after all this time, I specifically remember the Ultima, Optima, and the RC10 were the only real performers on the local track after that.

A year later I bought my RC10. A few months later I bought the bearing kit. Next I bought a $70 or $80 dollar RacePrep motor for it. I dropped a lot of cash on that car for a poor kid mowin' lawns and working as a bus boy in a mexican resturant.

I feel like I've been asleep for the last 20 years. When I was 17 I was seduced away from my RC10 by a girl (she had a hot tub, which at the time I thought was better than my "gold tub" :lol: ). And right after that I went in the military and all my stuff went in storage. So 20 years later, I thought my boys might think that old car is cool, so I dug it out of the attic, cleaned it up, bought a new battery at radio shack, and WHAM! I am obsessed! I have been living, breathing, eating, dreaming nothing but this damn car!

Problem is, all this new stuff has happened in the last 20 years, and everything I knew has been discontinued! I was going to replace the tires because they are kind of worn...AND I CANT! They are the wrong size now. What kind of BS is that! So I need new rims to fit new tires. I went to a hobby store and none of the rims fit on the car! ACK! So I would need adapters! and on and on and on. I actually didn't buy anything while going down that path fortunatly. Been married long enough to know better. There's only a limited amount I can spend on this without my wife's radar going off, so I have learned not to be to hasty.

I decided to be prudent. I need more than one car of course now because I have two boys, ...and myself. So I headed to ebay where you can buy a kidney with free shipping, or if I am lucky an RC10.

So 2 months into this....I have 4 rc10's. 3 from ebay that all need lots of work, and my original. Having "won" and received these turds I soon realized that all old "original" RC10's are not the same, dashing my dreams of seamless interchangability.....and the challenge of research had begun.

Fortunately my research has led me here. A cool oasis of knowledge, where I can be a source of annoyance as I ask the same questions you've all heard a thousand times already, and you'll cut and past a link to the same posted answer you gave the last ten times. I thank you in advance!

I will take pictures tomorrow and post. I am so excited. I thought I was insane to have in 2 short months amassed a collection of 4 of these cars I used to covet! But I am not alone!!

Please point me to the posting on medication.

Obsessed

tizeye
Approved Member

Re: Rip Van Winkle just woke up.

Post by tizeye »

What a great story...most of us have similar stories to tell...welcome to the twilight zone... :cry:

RC10resto

Post by RC10resto »

Welcome aboard!

Chewbacca
Approved Member

Post by Chewbacca »

OH NO!!! another addict!!!

for help call 1-800-555 RC10-anonymous :mrgreen:

welcome aboard
*** POWDER - KING ***

karnivool
Approved Member

Post by karnivool »

now thats a story. a big hello to you!!

Obsessed

Post by Obsessed »

When I went to the hobby store the only person in there looked about 17 and he said he'd never seen a car like mine before! :shock: Of course he thought it was super cool...especially when he found out I built it from a kit. Which brings me to another stunning fact I have learned. If you buy a current new buggy Traxxas or whatever, it seems to be one of the more popular now, THEY COME ALREADY BUILT! What a gyp!

(I had to look up the spelling of gyp) :lol:

I went back the following week and the person who runs the store was there, and she hadn't ever touched an RC10 either, but at least she had an idea of what it was. She was super knowledgable about current stuff though and helped be quite a bit, finding some adapters, and such that would help me some of the various wheels that had arrived with my recent retro ebay purchases.

CNA75
Approved Member

Post by CNA75 »

I'm relatively new here too, and my story's the same as yours except that I had a Tamiya Fox and my story ends a lot sooner - just before where you mention you went to the local track. There was no local track near me, so I never discovered the joys of rc racing. Now that I am back into it after all these years I find I still have the same problem. My solution? To build my own track as soon as I have enough land....

As for RC10s, I only ever got to see those in the form of pics in the rc mags I used to read at the time. As an 11 year old I spent hours and hours longingly pouring over those RC10 pics! Now, I am delighted to say, I have 3 (one of which is NIB still and, oh, how I will relish building that - my first RC10 build)! I also have a NIB Blackfoot which I am slowly collecting loads of hop-ups for. I'm also arranging for all the parts to be chrome plated so it will look really bling :mrgreen: .

I'm now on the hunt for other vintage racing cars such as a Schumacher CAT and Kyosho Ultima/Optima. Coming back to this hobby, I find it is a very, very slippery (and costly!) slope to be on. I'm also getting married next June, so I need to make the most of it now before the Mrs cottons on!

So...you find yourself in good company, my friend.....

cherokee

Post by cherokee »

I am in the same boat as you. I do have a newer buggy a B3 as well as my boy and I both have Slashes. I just love the old gold tub. Work and such has kept me away from racing but when I do get back I plan on racing the gold tub RC10. I don't care it is what I want to run. I could buy a new buggy but don't want to. In the one practice session I went to a few months ago the old RC10 did pretty well. Some plastic parts where pretty brittle but nothing major....and as you know evilbay is a good source for parts. I also started racing in the late 80's and just put it all up for years. The boy got older and decided to give it a try again....it was too much fun.

Keep them old cars racin.

Obsessed

Post by Obsessed »

Some great stories.

CNA, I agree with you about putting a track in my back yard. I keep joking about it with my wife....trying to soften her up to the idea. :mrgreen:

I haven't had a problem with any of the parts being brittle, just stripping. I am going to have to replace most of the shock rod ends.

Kcal
Approved Member

Post by Kcal »

" OH NO!!! another addict!!!

for help call 1-800-555 RC10-anonymous

welcome aboard "

Chewbacca that number doesn’t seem to work?? It’s like the skunky beer number fiasco all over again..............

And WELCOME, there are a lot of knowledgeable folks here.

MOmo
Approved Member

Post by MOmo »

Ahh Yes

Welcome to the interwebs version of AA for RC10 addicts!

You'll find many a similar stories here. The reference section has TONS of information and chances are your questions have all been addressed. We're a sick little bunch with an addiction worse than Crack. Its ok though, we're all in the same boat. Thats why RC10talk is a fantastic support group!

Welcome!

MOmo