Built or unbuilt

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

pink_sleeve

Built or unbuilt

Post by pink_sleeve »

Do RC10's and 10T's and vintages in general have a higher value being built vs unbuilt or are they pretty much the same? I'd like to collect and have an idea what to look for. Both being in new form??

aconsola
Approved Member

Re: Built or unbuilt

Post by aconsola »

"value" is in the eye of the buyer, but generally something new in the package, unbuilt is going to cost more than the same part which has been put onto a car, even if never run. Same with whole kits, a sealed kit is generally going to fetch more $$ than the same kit fully built up.

pink_sleeve

Post by pink_sleeve »

Do you mean sealed as in the box is unopened? Or everything just still in there bags?

aconsola
Approved Member

Post by aconsola »

pink_sleeve wrote:Do you mean sealed as in the box is unopened? Or everything just still in there bags?
as any good lawyer will tell you "that depends"
you will find that many of the kits had rolling changes: different color parts, changes to the parts, different chassis plates. opening up a sealed kit may reveal a particularly rare variation, or a common one. A sealed kit box therefore could be worth less than an open complete one if that open kit has a worlds graphite chassis for instance.

if your main concern is not "over-paying" for a car, just remember it is only worth what you are willing to pay. Many of us here have paid more than the "going rate" to get a particular item or 2 at some point for whatever reason(for me usually because it is the last part or 2 I need for a project and I am impatient.)

If you are concerned with resale value, there are better ways to invest your money.

Der Kommissar
Approved Member

Post by Der Kommissar »

aconsola wrote:
pink_sleeve wrote:Do you mean sealed as in the box is unopened? Or everything just still in there bags?
as any good lawyer will tell you "that depends"
you will find that many of the kits had rolling changes: different color parts, changes to the parts, different chassis plates. opening up a sealed kit may reveal a particularly rare variation, or a common one. A sealed kit box therefore could be worth less than an open complete one if that open kit has a worlds graphite chassis for instance.

if your main concern is not "over-paying" for a car, just remember it is only worth what you are willing to pay. Many of us here have paid more than the "going rate" to get a particular item or 2 at some point for whatever reason(for me usually because it is the last part or 2 I need for a project and I am impatient.)

If you are concerned with resale value, there are better ways to invest your money.
Well said, and the last line sums it up for sure!
If it isn't broke, I haven't driven it yet.

tecnica2001
Approved Member

Post by tecnica2001 »

A New in Box, un-assembled kit would generally cost more than an Never Run, assembled kit.

Now, a New In Box, Factory sealed and Shrink wrapped would cost more than either of the above.

Generally speaking. :D
Life is like a box of chocolate, you never know what R/C car you're gonna get next!!!

slotcarrod
Approved Member

Post by slotcarrod »

tecnica2001 wrote:A New in Box, un-assembled kit would generally cost more than an Never Run, assembled kit.

Now, a New In Box, Factory sealed and Shrink wrapped would cost more than either of the above.

You know, that seal is very easy to remove and place back, and it's easy to re-shrink wrap! Like your signature says about the box of chocolate, you never know what you get. I wonder how many boxes of junk are out there that guys purchased as MIB?

I want the new built please or an xray of the box! :mrgreen:

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

slotcarrod wrote:
tecnica2001 wrote:A New in Box, un-assembled kit would generally cost more than an Never Run, assembled kit.

You know, that seal is very easy to remove and place back, and it's easy to re-shrink wrap! Like your signature says about the box of chocolate, you never know what you get. I wonder how many boxes of junk are out there that guys purchased as MIB?

I want the new built please or an xray of the box! :mrgreen:

Well said, I'm glad i'm not the only one that thinks about that

tecnica2001
Approved Member

Post by tecnica2001 »

WOAH, never thought of it that way, yup, I want a New Build Also.... :lol: :lol:

But you know what I meant, "GENERALLY" speaking.... :mrgreen:
Life is like a box of chocolate, you never know what R/C car you're gonna get next!!!

Kcal
Approved Member

Post by Kcal »

As said it would be easy enough to “peek”, who could possibly resist that temptation I know I couldn’t………..

rctenracer
Approved Member

Post by rctenracer »

I purchased a NIB factory sealed champ car awhile back and it sat for awhile. I finally opened it to see all black parts . The shrink wrap is no problem but im still trying to fix that seal that i cut in half. :lol:

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

rctenracer wrote:I purchased a NIB factory sealed champ car awhile back and it sat for awhile. I finally opened it to see all black parts .
that's exactly why i wouldn't buy a stealth c.e., or any 10t that isn't the 7001 kit. there's no way to know exactly what's in there. i'd be pissed, especially if i dropped a ton of money on the thing, to open it up and find black parts.

now, if i bought it with the intention of never opening it..... or reselling it in the future, then it really wouldn't matter. it would be the next guys problem. :P

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

i don't think i'd buy a worlds, either. although, i think they had 2 different boxarts. so if i'd find the first one, i'd feel better about it.

rctenracer
Approved Member

Post by rctenracer »

Im not up on kit#'s but yeh I was a little pissed. paid 200.00 for it but like the posts say you don't know till you open it. :evil: I don't plan on selling it and i have a tekin nib chassis kit along with some new rpm black front a arms . maybe i will use the kit for parts and sell the rest just to get some cash back someone is always looking for parts. :idea:
scr8p wrote:
rctenracer wrote:I purchased a NIB factory sealed champ car awhile back and it sat for awhile. I finally opened it to see all black parts .
that's exactly why i wouldn't buy a stealth c.e., or any 10t that isn't the 7001 kit. there's no way to know exactly what's in there. i'd be pissed, especially if i dropped a ton of money on the thing, to open it up and find black parts.

now, if i bought it with the intention of never opening it..... or reselling it in the future, then it really wouldn't matter. it would be the next guys problem. :P

Kcal
Approved Member

Post by Kcal »

I purchased a NIB factory sealed champ car awhile back and it sat for awhile. I finally opened it to see all black parts . The shrink wrap is no problem but im still trying to fix that seal that i cut in half. :lol:

I am not that good, but if its an issue I will do what I can to help you, after all how hard can it be to print a sticker and to me if you don't look your sick...... Aaah the smell of minty white parts and anodizing first thing in the morning.......... New rubber............. WOOO HOOO anyways let me know and I don't intend to short anyone their the feelings on this but come on the temptation must be maddening ................................... guess poor and going to run it is blessing in disguise.......... I wish I had the scratchy Rc10 that I let the kids run and we'd ALL have a blast................ They do have a L10 and a tt-01 Smiles, y'all have a nice evening.