Paint not sticking

Show off your paintwork, tips/tricks, decals, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Re: Paint not sticking

Post by Coelacanth »

If it indeed works to strip off honest-to-God Lexan paint (Pactra for example), let us know the product name of that citrus cleaner. I have a body that NOTHING has stripped all the paint off, including DOT 3 and 4 brake fluid...it's hazed all to hell but I keep it around for testing purposes. ;)
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

flustorm99
Approved Member

Post by flustorm99 »

Ok will let u know...i have a bodybthat i am in the same boat with so i will try it on that in the next coupla days and let u know the results...! I was a little amazed myself that it took the paint off so easily...it does need to soak and get into the paint though...ie u need to leave a fairly thick cover but its cheap stuff so no big deal...anyway will let u know..

flustorm99
Approved Member

Post by flustorm99 »

Well i just spent 30 min and got most of the paint off the lexan using the citrix cleaner...! So i tried it on the shell i had been soaking in brake fluid for ever and i got more off with the citrix cleaner in a minute then i did with the brake fluid in the last month! This is tamiya paint as well and i pit it on pretty thick...needless to say it will do the trick...also i dont think u need to soak it as long...but i will test that...also doesnt fog the lexan or make it brittle so thats a bonus...so try it if u like or not...its called DE-SOLVEIT..made in Australia...but its just a citris based cleaner that u use to get rid of sticker residue surfboard wax etc...i can grab it at woolies (supermarket) anyway i know its made it MUCH easier for me so hopefully it works for you or whoever wants to give it a shot....i still dont really believe it actually works but it does...must be a logical reason why but i studied physics not chemistry at school!...:) so nfi...

tamiya
Approved Member

Post by tamiya »

DeSolvIt is more like dry cleaning fluid than citrus oils. :wink:

If you're buying that little spatula/scraper bottle from Safeway, its probably
cheaper to buy the little purple bottle of T Polycarbonate Cleaner from LHS.

flustorm99
Approved Member

Post by flustorm99 »

Na says its a citris cleaner... Picture of an orange on the bottle...

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Just to clarify, Tamiya makes an acrylic paint that would indeed come off very easily with any kind of solvent, even just plain rubbing alcohol. They also make a polycarbonate paint that bonds to Lexan just like Pactra does. Just wanted to comment that there's a big difference in Tamiya acrylic and Lexan/polycarbonate paint. The acrylic stuff will chip & flake off as it doesn't bond and bend/flex with the Lexan, and thus is quite easy to remove.

I'd like to know more about the citrus stuff...take a picture of the bottle, maybe? I'd keep an eye out for it here in Canada--if it's even available here.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

flustorm99
Approved Member

Post by flustorm99 »

Yeahi will have to check the paint to be honest....i bought it in the rc section so assumed its the right stuff...i will take some pics and put them up...if it was the wrong paint wouldnt the brake fluid make it come off just as easy??

I tried to see the ingredients in the bottle but couldnt see it written anywhere. If after checking the spray paint type it actually removes the lexan paint then if u cant get any ( i am sure u guys will have it? ) i would be more then happy to send u some....

flustorm99
Approved Member

Post by flustorm99 »

This is the stuff.

http://www.rcr.com.au

Check the data sheet...tells u the chemicals in it..i dont see any oranges....:)..

flustorm99
Approved Member

Post by flustorm99 »

Turns out u r right, the paint i used that the brakefluid wouldnt get off is for plastics not polycarbonate..turn out half my paint is fir plastics and the other half for poly dang namit..! Anyway its gets the paont for plastics off...i may do a test to see if it works on the poly stuff...i assume the poly paint is the right stuff for lexan? That was def from the rc section in my hobby store...now i gota see if i can return the stuff i cant use..

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »