MIP 4X4 kit for the RC10 - GAUGING INTEREST ONLY

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Re: MIP 4X4 kit for the RC10 - GAGING INTEREST ONLY

Post by MelvinsArmy »

clinehobbies wrote:
shodog wrote:I have to agree with Jay. Getting 225 people to pony up $500 is going to be a task
thats just $112,500 for all of them. Very high price tag. I would rather see MIP come out with a current 4WD car kit. Build on the past not recreate it. But hey a New MIP 4x4 kit would great also!

I was thinking the exact same thing. That is, if you're gonna re-design ancient technology, and go through all the trouble, then why make something entirely new and advance the sport? But hey, this isn't my time, money and resources so I don't really care.

$500 for a new designed 4wd RC10 conversion seems like a lot of money to me.
Daddeo wrote:
EDIT - In case anyone was wondering, Eustace said he would make these available directly from MIP :D.
Very cool! See, I hope this will become a model for those wishing to bring back the oldies. That is, instead of making bootleg parts in the basement or local machine shop to look like old, desireable parts, go to the source, go to the company who made them the first time around and do it right. I am not interested in this kit, but I'm glad that it's being done by MIP.

CNA75
Approved Member

Post by CNA75 »

MelvinsArmy wrote:
Very cool! See, I hope this will become a model for those wishing to bring back the oldies. That is, instead of making bootleg parts in the basement or local machine shop to look like old, desireable parts, go to the source, go to the company who made them the first time around and do it right. I am not interested in this kit, but I'm glad that it's being done by MIP.
I agree, and thinking along those lines, wouldn't be cool if the Tecnacraft shop (which I understand may still be in existence) did the same with its wheels.....

mrlexan
Approved Member

Post by mrlexan »

Daddeo wrote:Thank you! The reason for this move, once again :D, is to get as much exposure as we can to this kit. The numbers we have so far are good but the more the better.
Not to mention, the conditions and steps up to the discussion today are much more defined. We (mods and Daddeo) didn't want the wrong people trying to steal Daddeo's thunder. Based on the current going prices of the kits, we didn't want the wrong people with the wrong intentions to inject themselves into the mix.
I am not here cause I am playing photographer and on my mountain bike.
www.gojammedia.com

Chewbacca
Approved Member

Post by Chewbacca »

Wow cool idea !!

I know injection molds are pricy tools, but not THAT pricy! I was gonny say for $200 (while hopning for $150-ish) I'm in and MAYBE 250 but 500 ... sorry.

Of course MIP makes money off of their products wich we all try to do and is only fair, but 500 is too steep for me.

Now is there a NIP ledgend kit on this forum? All that is really needed is a plaster oneway mold to make a molded aluminium mold for the then plastic parts.

Molding is not MY best field of knowledge but I could be wrong on the final mold, that MIGHT have to be milled. I am mainly thinking about the front tranny case, btw. The rest of the parts (gears, cvds etc) don't seem to that much of a problem to me.

Multiple technologies make this a fairly simple task such as:

- mechanical, or better optical (laser) 3D scanners
- rapid prototyping machines

Heck I am on good terms with the QA at work and could get parts 3D scanned and then imported to CAD. The CAM process would also work when I ask the late shift when their boss isn't around... :mrgreen:

Okay I am getting carried away here, just my 2 cents.
*** POWDER - KING ***

mrlexan
Approved Member

Post by mrlexan »

All good points, but remember how much those new technology machines cost. Most businesses of that sort typically set up their machining rates as based on a RoI plan for a defined/projected number of years. Oh, RoI - return on investment. Just because technology today is more efficient, doesn't necessary equate to cheaper prices. Sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't.... depends on the business model and we are not talking a HUGE number of qtys here.

Unless you want the build tolerances of yester-year (ie. Hot Trick :roll: ), all molds will have to be machined. I would doubt a company of MIP caliber would today skip that type of process.

MIP is in business to make money. I personally don't believe this to be a pet project for them, so skimming by using after hours personnel probably isn't their path forward. They're in Cali right? The cost of living out there sure ain't cheap, so I beat salaries are somewhat equal to the cost of living.

my 2 cents, plus your 2 cents... hey we are getting closer.
www.gojammedia.com

MOmo
Approved Member

Post by MOmo »

Couple things come to mind:

1: SWEET! It would be sick to have a vintage 4wd RC10.

2: I agree with the parts redesign of the kit to be less fragile.

3: The price would also need to be reasonable in order to make it worth while. I would gladly buy one or 2 if the price was cheap enough, however I also know it costs $$ to re-tool for construction.

4: Would MIP be willing to make molds off existing kits? (provided an existing owner wants to part with their kit.) (Perhaps taking a page from Bugle's B3 conversion)

I will be watching attentively!

MOmo

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

MOmo wrote:Couple things come to mind:

MOmo
I hate to have to point out the obvious here but.... new parts are not vintage parts. :wink: Just saying.

mrlexan
Approved Member

Post by mrlexan »

MelvinsArmy wrote:
MOmo wrote:Couple things come to mind:

MOmo
I hate to have to point out the obvious here but.... new parts are not vintage parts. :wink: Just saying.
:lol: You struck that nerve Momo!
www.gojammedia.com

civilguy
Approved Member

Post by civilguy »

Is it really a repro if it's from the original molds? :roll:

Please note the complete sarcastic tone of this post. :D
The preceding contained opinions, beliefs and thoughts that all may not agree with. No offense was intended at any point. Carry on.
Jeff

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

English vocabulary class is in session. 8) :lol:

mrlexan
Approved Member

Post by mrlexan »

civilguy wrote:Is it really a repro if it's from the original molds? :roll:
Some of my bodies aren't repros, they are re-releases.
www.gojammedia.com

HotRodJosh
Approved Member

Post by HotRodJosh »

civilguy wrote:Is it really a repro if it's from the original molds? :roll:

No...it's not really a "repro", it's a "re-release"...look at Edelbrock and it's "re-released" flathead intake manifolds....it's not a reproduction if it's made by the OG company.... :D Guys who whine about "repros" tend to get worried that their OG parts will lose it's value....that generally doesn't happen, as there will always be "those guys" who will insist on only "made during correct era" parts....
Hope they're using NOS bodies, paint, tires, servo tape and tools......:lol:

I'd love an MIP 4wd RC10....but I could never afford one.... :mrgreen:
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription.....is more cowbell."
Pinstriping by Josh

RichieRich
Approved Member

Post by RichieRich »

I love "repo" vs "repro". Makes me laugh every time.

MIP is in Covina, CA. That's not too far from where I live. I'm guessing they must have other "buyers" other than the 200+ that Daddeo counts. Realistically, I don't think that's enough to justify any ROI.

We should fill out the RFQ on their website and put in a target price of $150. ;)

Daddeo
Approved Member

Post by Daddeo »

Keep in mind that Eustace still has the original parts on his RC10 and said that they would be used for the tooling process. This means that really no extra expenditure is required in the design process, plus the parts would retain the "vintage" shape. 15-20 years ago MIP was limited in what they could do compared to what they can accomplish now with the tools and materials available to them. Little details like the colors of certain parts might change due to a change in the material used to create said parts. In exchange for losing the "true" vintage color/look the new kits will be much more durable.

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

don't also forget that depending on the price of these parts and the technology today, they could easily program a cnc machine and spit out tens to hundreds of parts in a few days. So even a cnc machined front gearbox might only cost tens of dollars. That is most likely the most expensive piece. A cnc machine running autonomously uses basically power, coolant and tool bits with only the occasional operator intervention. Depending on the ultimate qty, you would not need molds.