MIP 4X4 kit for the RC10 - GAUGING INTEREST ONLY

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

aeiou
Approved Member

Re: MIP 4X4 kit for the RC10

Post by aeiou »

Again, depending on the price (of course), I’d probably get 2 of them. What I’m willing to pay depends, to some extent, on what these will be. If they are exact reproductions (or by some miracle – actual vintage parts) they’d have more value for me, versus having MIP create a close copy from scratch.

Being one of the folks involved in the situation that Al mentioned, I too have no desire to pay in advance for anything like this. In fact, if this thread is going in the direction of the BST – which it potentially appears to be - then that’s not even allowed any longer. Someone would have to be willing to finance the deal up front. And just so it’s perfectly clear, my opinion on this has nothing to do with you personally, Daddeo – I for one thank you for your efforts. I’d love to have a Legends car that I could actually drive. :D

My guess is that MIP is looking for a bulk production deal, but if not, there’s another possible option. MIP has an online store, so if they are interested in offering this as a product, perhaps they can just put them up there? That would put the burden of financing, delivery, quality, etc. on them.

a01butal
Approved Member

Post by a01butal »

I don't want to throw a monkey wrench into this project or deal, but I've been around a long time(only a couple of years on the forum I'm talking about age) and probably not as smart as most on this forum but when something kind of makes me sit up and think, I learned a long time ago that it's better to be safe than sorry and say what's on your mind. If MIP is really considering doing something I can't see them building new kits with new castings. My guess is that they have enough parts to release a commemorative or anniversary edition with left over kits or parts which will make up a kit. However MIP should at least be able to stand up and tell you what their direction is if they were to go ahead.

This is all very interesting!

Daddeo
Approved Member

Post by Daddeo »

PM's - I will reply to all PM's with questions a.s.a.p.. I have received a very hefty response to this but will answer all questions in a timely manner.

The online store is the most likely scenario as I'm not looking to front a huge order of these from MIP. I do ask that everyone involved openly to keep the discussion here and not bother Eustace Moore Jr. or MIP about this. If we can keep this organized, professional, and earnest I think we will have a better chance. I will stress once again, this is still only in the inquiry phase. It has gotten a little more serious as of the last response from Eustace Moore Jr. but again, it's still in the inquiry phase. I don't want anyone to get their hopes up to high.
a01butal wrote:I don't want to throw a monkey wrench into this project or deal, but I've been around a long time(only a couple of years on the forum I'm talking about age) and probably not as smart as most on this forum but when something kind of makes me sit up and think, I learned a long time ago that it's better to be safe than sorry and say what's on your mind. If MIP is really considering doing something I can't see them building new kits with new castings. My guess is that they have enough parts to release a commemorative or anniversary edition with left over kits or parts which will make up a kit. However MIP should at least be able to stand up and tell you what their direction is if they were to go ahead.
True, that's why I'm waiting on a reply to my last inquiry to Eustace Moore Jr. in regards to specifics about the kit, price, etc..

mrlexan
Approved Member

Re: MIP 4X4 kit for the RC10 - GAGING INTEREST ONLY

Post by mrlexan »

I moved this, just in case someone is looking to blame someone. :mrgreen:

Daddeo understands and respects the new BST rules and we are going to let this play out. I am not concerned about anyone breaking those rules, but with the interest and the specific subject matter, we'll all be watching this thread anyway.

My only suggestion and I speak for myself alone, I personally don't want this to turn into a free for all with everyone and there brother calling Eustace daily trying to figure out what is going on. Let Daddeo lead the effort, as he states he has a relationship there. I think we all want this to materialize, so let's not bug the crap out of the MIP boys and piss them off.

I applaud your efforts.
I am not here cause I am playing photographer and on my mountain bike.
www.gojammedia.com

aconsola
Approved Member

Post by aconsola »

hopefully if it happens they get the right kit

http://www.miponline.com/MIP/News/Entries/1984/9/1_Vintage%3A_MIP_4x400_4wd_Kit.html

I don't see an RC-10 in those pics, despite the title.

The conversion was also mentioned here in the company bio:

http://www.miponline.com/MIP/About.html

He just doesn't look the same without the shorts ;)

This is the 30th aniv. of MIP products, a rerelease 4wd kit would be great to commemorate that.

Daddeo
Approved Member

Post by Daddeo »

In that article the 4X400 kit is showcased for Tamiya SRB chassis cars. The kit for the RC10 was called the "Legend" kit IIRC. I know there was another one but not sure what it was called. This would be perfect to commemorate their 30th anniversary! :D

Thank you MrLexan for moving it!

mrlexan
Approved Member

Post by mrlexan »

HEY, THAT'S RETRO'S VIDEO. I hope they got his permission to use his footage.
I am not here cause I am playing photographer and on my mountain bike.
www.gojammedia.com

CNA75
Approved Member

Post by CNA75 »

mrlexan wrote:HEY, THAT'S RETRO'S VIDEO. I hope they got his permission to use his footage.
Great opening sound track too. Panama by the great Mr Van Halen.......he rocks!!

aeiou
Approved Member

Post by aeiou »

Now if Eustace would produce the kit AND a reproduction of those shorts, then we'd really have something. :lol:

Soncho Ponza
Approved Member

Post by Soncho Ponza »

"Very Serious" count me in for one
Im short on projects right now :roll:

CNA75
Approved Member

Post by CNA75 »

Can I ask what the tally is so far? I mean are we talking a realistic number?

Daddeo
Approved Member

Post by Daddeo »

The tally so far is above 100 that includes here and outside of this site. So far with the amount of people who are serious about it makes me think that it's a good number. Until I hear back from Eustace I don't know if we have hit that "magic" number though, however we will know soon!

slotcarrod
Approved Member

Post by slotcarrod »

I would like one depending on price and if its for the stealth 2.25.

civilguy
Approved Member

Post by civilguy »

Specifics on the kit type are critical. I don't own a stealth tranny- only 6 gears. Didn't some of the MIP kits come with front & rear gearboxes?
The preceding contained opinions, beliefs and thoughts that all may not agree with. No offense was intended at any point. Carry on.
Jeff

n33no
Approved Member

Post by n33no »

you can put me down for one too.