Ronin Marui Samurai runner build

The place for all things Marui.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Dadio
Approved Member

Ronin Marui Samurai runner build

Post by Dadio »

A few months ago I bagged a Samurai in pretty good nick and did some minor restoration then could not resist driving it , long story short I didn't want to wreck it and came across a parts lot at a reasonable price .
Most of the parts are used and scared by life but serviceable , my guess is that someone made a shelf queen and this was the left overs , perfect for me as I want a runner . I assembled the parts I had and this is what I have .
So at this point I thought I'd draw up the missing cage in CAD and 3d print it , so now I'm here .
I've got a repaired half gearbox case and all the gears I need in new or perfect condition , I've ordered the other gearbox half from Shapeways , that just leaves the motor plate , dog bones and front wheel axles and I'll have a scruffy runner , my Ronin
If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

coxbros1

Re: Ronin Marui Samurai runner build

Post by coxbros1 »

.....actually this is seriously cool! i aint playin
Tap pic for clarity: Derek

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

Spent most of last night trying to CAD model one half of chassis :? , It's a really complicated shape :!: What looks straight at first actually has 1° angle changes or 3.5° angles changes or starts as a square section the taper's upward :evil: I don't think my daughter asking us to try the oversize wine glasses she gave us as a gift helped mutch :lol:
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

silvertriple

Post by silvertriple »

Hello!
That project kooks cool!
Currently looing at my Marui Hunter, but at some point, I will look to get a Samurai. Among the roll cages buggys of the eighties, it was part of the ones I was dreaming of. It find it even hotter than a Javelin...
Would love to find one to rebuild... In the meantime, i'll be watching this thread with some popcorns :-D
Good luck!
A+
Marc
I buy kits to build and ru(i)n them :-)

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

Think I'm going boss eyed but its getting close on the geometry .

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

Just one part of the chassis has been boggling me noggin all for almost a day , it's the rear roof pillar , just a nightmare but I've finally worked out how to accurately measure it , by putting long M3 screws through numerous screw holes and locking them with nuts then by using more nuts all threaded to the same level I can now triangulate the exact position ! It took me giving up and going for a walk with the dogs to clear the brain cheese enough to think of it :lol:

silvertriple

Post by silvertriple »

Hello,
Lot of the samurai chassis I saw on pictures or to sell for restoration are having the same type of issues the Hunter/Galaxy on the shock tower, even though it's not made the same way: Often, the part of the chassis where the rear shocks are mounted on the sides are broken/repaired with glue: how do you intend to take care of this?

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

silvertriple wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 1:38 pm Hello,
Lot of the samurai chassis I saw on pictures or to sell for restoration are having the same type of issues the Hunter/Galaxy on the shock tower, even though it's not made the same way: Often, the part of the chassis where the rear shocks are mounted on the sides are broken/repaired with glue: how do you intend to take care of this?
The gearbox mounts break off as well , the plan is to model it as it is then do a second version to sort the problems , in all honesty if the chassis was made of nylon instead of ABS then it would probably work fine .

silvertriple

Post by silvertriple »

Dadio wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 1:47 pm The gearbox mounts break off as well , the plan is to model it as it is then do a second version to sort the problems , in all honesty if the chassis was made of nylon instead of ABS then it would probably work fine .
Well, nylon might be too flexible for shock towers... But yes, it doesn't break, it bends and comes back into place (or almost). I never had a Samurai, but I believe the deport from the chassis may be a problem in all the plastics you can think about.

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

I think I'm ready for a test print tomorrow :D

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

First draft chassis , very rough and ready , just a few areas to work on .
A left gearbox half arrived from Shapeways , now I already have a Shapeways right side of the gearbox and it fits perfectly but unfortunately the left side does not , it's a minor fault , one hole for the gear axle for the reduction gear is wrong and there's no mesh with the centre diff gear :(
This is my original gearbox with the slightly yellow greasy gears next to the Shapeways part .
You can clearly see the lack of gear mesh .
The last picture it has the axle fitted in the motor plate and shows exactly how far out it is .
I messaged the designer and he got right back to me , he's evidently sold a few and only had one other person mention this fault , my guess is that most have gone on shelf queens so gear mesh was not too problematic , he asked for pictures so i sent these ones , he seems reasonable but we'll see what happens , I might be able to do something to fix it but its an arse .

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

The guy of Shapeways that drew up the gearbox model and confirmed the axle hole was misplaced , he's fixed it and looks like he's a straight up guy about sorting it out :D

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

He's sending a replacement part from Shapeways , was very good about it and he's replacing the model they sell , is so nice when people are decent human beings !

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

Drew up the wheels and printed a front and rear , pretty pleased how they came out .
Also made up some 12mm hex adapters , the new car is coming along nicely , the transmission is complete i just need to find a front shock and fit electrics , probably better get a body as well :lol:

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Cool...it's interesting to see those wheels in white instead of their iconic matte chrome, old-school muscle-car finish.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3