Debunking an old rumor

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

wyldweazel

Debunking an old rumor

Post by wyldweazel »

Please bare with me on this. This rumor dates back to when I was a young man racing my Gold Chassis RC-10 at an indoor oval track. I ran my car in the stock class, 1.) because I couldn't afford any upgrades and 2.) I couldn't control what I had.

At one race, I was doing particularly well, and I was talking to some fellow veterian racers. They were checking out my stock RC-10 trying to figure out why it could easily walk away from the field, in the straight aways. One gentleman told me... "ahh... your lucky. You got one of the limited edition race motors that Associated only put in 5% of there cars. The other gentleman all agreed with him, and the subject was closed. At the time my RC-10 was running the stock reo-stat (sp?) speed controller, and 6 gear transmission. It basically was a box stock car. From other posts I have determined that my car is a "Cadillac" era RC-10.

Does anyone know if that is true about Associated producing two "stock" motors? One motor stock and one stock+... to top off insult to injury to my fellow racers back then, I also ran the cheapest battery packs I could buy. They where 1200-1500 mah packs (from memory) and I would get about 15 minutes of run time out of them.

Thank you in advance for your time and patience. I love this forum and I am so glad I found a group of people who still cherish the RC-10.

Jim

SnoopMaxx  It’s my birthday!
Approved Member

Re: Debunking an old rumor

Post by SnoopMaxx »

Welcome wyldweazel
I'd love to see photos of your car if you still have it :wink:
Morten Max

wyldweazel

Post by wyldweazel »

I still have it and still love to drive it. Unfortunatly I thru away the stock box, instructions, and a very bent gold chassis. I run a black chassis now. (so who elses wants to kick me in the butt for throughing away all those goodies.)

I will try to get a few pictures of it together. I still have both of my race bodies from back in the day. My indoor body is a 49 Merc body professionally painted with flames. My outdoor body was the first body I had ever painted. Actually I think I still have the stock motor somewhere. I should look for it and see what it needs. I didn't have any clue on how to take care of motors back then.

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Post by Eau Rouge »

wyldweazel wrote:You got one of the limited edition race motors that Associated only put in 5% of there cars. The other gentleman all agreed with him, and the subject was closed.
Never heard anything of the sort. Sounds like sour grapes, to me.

Considering how crude manufacturing was back then, and how much needed to be done to any stock motor to get it to perform properly (and consistently), there is always the odd chance that the motor you had didn't need balancing or blueprinting, and the brushes were the perfect setup with the springs that were on it, and everything worked how it was supposed to in theory. But at the time, I don't remember any stock motors but the absolute best factory motors for the team drivers getting worked over like that. Certainly, none of those went out for public consumption, either.

Back then, stock motors were stock motors. People didn't even figure out how to cut comms in them for a long time, and break-in was considered running it on the bench for 5 minutes under no load. Factory motors were a different story, but I would believe that's not what you were using.

Welcome to the board.

doug

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

i've never heard of the......... 5% of the kits had a limited edition motor in them. that being said, associated did have 2 different stock motors. the one in the kit with the blue label, and the green label competion stock motor. is it possible that your kit had one of the competition stockers in it? maybe. what color was the label, blue or green?

my best guess, as doug said, you probably just lucky with a good running motor.

in the very early 1990's when i was racing 1/24 production class slot cars with the USRA, everyone had to run an unmolested parma 16-d. you ended up having to buy 10 or more of those motors to find 1 or 2 stout ones. then just sold off the rest.... or used them for practice. that was an expensive process, but it was worth it when you won. :)

SnoopMaxx  It’s my birthday!
Approved Member

Post by SnoopMaxx »

'my CE came with a Green label Reedy Mack 2 :shock:
Morten Max

tamiyadan
Approved Member

Post by tamiyadan »

Y'ernat Al
Approved Member

Post by Y'ernat Al »

This is probably worth a link to a pic posted by Ruffy a while back..

http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=15198
- Brian -

My Gallery

rc10johnny
Approved Member

Post by rc10johnny »

Yeah I know whar ya mean,when I started the other guys helped me out,they had these red batts,I got the ones they didn't want,also they did my motors,I was told if I opened them up or gave them away they wouldn't help anymore. so I guess everyone has thier tricks :wink: JohnnySr

greene-r74
Approved Member

Post by greene-r74 »

You may have had 1 or 2 degrees of extra timing due to manufacturing tolerance. And actually you may have had a slight advantage back then running the mechanical speed control. It was pretty much a direct circuit to the motor. If you had good plugs and good wire. The resistance was probably pretty low. Plus having new bearings, smooth suspension. They were probably looking for anything to justify the whoopin' Driving skill has as much to do with it as anything. I was running touring cars a while back in Colorado and I went to a track I'd never been to before. In the first qualifier I went out and layed down a track record with a decent motor and a radio shack pack that I had put a deans plug on. Everyone had to come over and see what I was running. They were pretty embarrassed. (I work at Radio Shack so I only paid like 10 bucks for it. It was my practice pack) I was just trying to take it easy because I was unfamiliar with the layout. I wanted to get the feel of the track before I started to lay down any power.

I had some guys ask me if I was a sponsored driver from Denver. You should have seen their faces when I told them I was from a small town in Nebraska of about 7000 population and as far as I knew I was the only one that raced R/C cars in all of western Nebraska.

dldiaz

Post by dldiaz »

Yeah, I remember stock motors being a "luck of the draw" situation back in the eighties. Everyone had their method of trying to pick a motor that would be faster, one guy who worked at a LHS would spin all the new stock motors by hand and pick a few out for himself - didn't seem to help him much...

I remember people saying you needed to dip your motor in water until it froze up (wouldn't spin), then break it loose and NOW it would be a strong motor - wishful thinking, as noone consistently had the fastest motors...

Lastly, I think I was using motor spray by the crate-full, in like 1986, or at least 1987 - I had those tall black 'Trinity' cans everywhere... not to mention the 'comm spray' (small pink & white bottle by Reedy, I think) that we would spray on the comm right before a race to get a little more power for the HOLESHOT!!!
-dldiaz