Again another Marui project : Super Wheelie and Big Bear!

The place for all things Marui.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

silvertriple

Re: Again another Marui project : Super Wheelie and Big Bear!

Post by silvertriple »

On the Super Wheelie drivers side, eyes are done... Only left to do is the harness...

The Big Bear driver also got eyes, now...

This means that the only last thing to do on the Big Bear side is the stickers... Once I receive them...

Harness are next, then the target is to complete the Super Wheelie bodyshells with roll cages, and other accessories, and to rebuild a few Super Wheelie chassis to get under the rebuilt bodyshells (have one already built, and 3 more to come)
I buy kits to build and ru(i)n them :-)

silvertriple

Post by silvertriple »

Printed quite a few parts (and other prints will follow) as I have many bodies to complete. This time the prints are resin, and it's an ABS like resin,and the result is quite nice...

While doing this, I spent some time sorting the parts for the 4 bodies I'm going to build/rebuild now, to make sure I have everything to rebuild each of the cars to a state close to their original state...
Each bodies' parts are in one of the box. Only remaining missing element right now for the 4 bodies is the "glass" for Barbamama. I'll have to cut one with the Silhouette Cameo 4, as the one which came originally with the car was quite damaged... The fact the Silhouette Cameo is next to the resin printer currently working doesn't help. The fact I also need to refactor the cutting bed as it doesn't stick anymore doesn't help either, by the way... Anyway, soon, we'll hit the 13 as we don't need Barbamama for this...

silvertriple

Post by silvertriple »

The great advantge of White Nylon PA12 SLS printed parts is that you can easily dye them... And because I do not have a full set of grey parts for the white Land Cruiser, I ordered 3 full set of arms in white PA12 SLS. The overall plan was to make one set grey, and one set red. The last one was planed for my daughter's car (Barbamama). She like the principle, but she said there was not enough pink.

Few minutes in the kitchen with a material purely dedicated to this, and the "not enough pink" is solved...

For those who want to know how:
Rit Dye, water at 80°C. The more you keep the parts inside the bath, the darker it will be...

silvertriple

Post by silvertriple »

Partly assembled 3 of the 4 bodyshell. I have some screws missing for the 4th roll cage because my provider made a mistake and I do not have possible replacement at hand.

All the three bodyshells are missing the spare wheels and jerrycans as again it is a screws issue. The problem should be solved tomorrow, and I'll be able to finish the work on the 4 cars. Stickers for the Toyota are on the way, not sure when they will arrive...

silvertriple

Post by silvertriple »

I finaly found some screws of the right dimension to put the last cage of the in progress cars... And Barbamama will look cool :-). Still have to install the windshield with some specific marking, and to find a way to fix the driver figure...

I put the bodyshells back in the garage, awaiting for their chassis...

silvertriple

Post by silvertriple »

I removed the paint from one of the Big Bear drivers in order to be able to make a scan of it. It's not perfect, but once the primer will be applied, it should be fine...

I also assembled the FDM printed bodyshell... The idea behind is to have a single example of it available to show people on my table during the vintage events starting later this month...

Next : work on the chassis, add last accesories on the bodyshells...

silvertriple

Post by silvertriple »

The last set of screws arrived today, and I could complete all bodyshells with their accessories...

I cut some windows using the plotter. Super easy when you have both the plotter and a drawing of the window itself. I just keyed the right dimension in Silhouette Studio to have the right dimensions....

And I added a personnal touch again on Barbamama after adding the window...

I also took pictures of the SLA resin printed Mitsubishi body shell completed. The light covers are also resin printed, while the other accessories are Nylon printed. For the spare wheel, I used an original one (I could have printed one in resin, but I was lazy...
And I can see that the slight warping at the rear right end of the resin printed shell is not really visible once the accessories are present, which was my assumption from the beginning...

silvertriple

Post by silvertriple »

Colors! There is an infinite of possibilities... I had to color the parts before the builds...

I made the counts before actually starting this, in red parts, I have one single part missing, and in grey parts, much more, resulting in my choice to do full colored printed set... After all, that was the initial plan...

silvertriple

Post by silvertriple »

I did a scan of the driver figure of the Big Bear
It's not perfect as the left arm/hand is almost joining the body making it very difficult to scan. I an ideal situation, the arms would be detached from the body. If ever I find a Big Bear driver figure in NIP, I'll rescan it... In the meantime, I'll do a test print to check how is the result with a resin print...

silvertriple

Post by silvertriple »

Today was a very productive day (or maybe should I say yesterday, looking at my clock)...

Frist, I put the white golden Eagle on a chassis... The chassis was already assembled (it arrived this way). This car is very unlikely to run...

... unlike the black golden eagle which remains my test bed for gears... I just went for a red conversion. The fact is, I had red parts, and just found in my set of parts the one missing piece telling me I could have mounted in original parts... But those red parts are rare and worth saving, for the time the car will finish her life on the shelve. But since I like red, as it goes nicely with black, I mounted the full set of nylon SLS red parts... The car ran last year with some ABS printed parts and it will run now with Nylon printed parts...

Next was the White Toyota. I used the 6V chassis, with the grey parts. unfortunately, it's not close enough to the original grey to my teste, but still, it's more in correspondance with the original car than with black parts (and for those, I'm at least missing the wheelie bar in grey in original parts)...
Chassis assmbly went nicely, and for this I used a set of original gears. Again, this car is unlikely to run (it's there to have the 13 Maruis on a picture).

The shelf looks like this now (yes, there is the 5 super wheelies in one single picture)

After that, I could have stop there, but this was not enough. I had the parts laid out for almost another build, so it was time to do, and it won't be my daughter's car, as a motor pinion is missing, and is coming tomorrow (or today)...
I started out the build, and at the end, the only key missing element was a screw, a very specific screw, which is used as shaft for the rear train... I know it would be missing a few weeks ago when i found a usefull tool in a local shop : a tube cutter (3-22mm, just what I needed). It was not very expensive, so I took it, specifically thinking about those very simple use cases...
After a few rotations, I have a spacer, exactly at the right dimensions, and this is really perfect.

The assembled chassis went under the Mitsubishi body...

I still need to take care of the bumper, and the steering rods (I'll have to check tomorrow, I should have some somewhere). And overally, I'm very happy with the bodyshell, it is still visible that it is printed, but much less compared to the Nylon PA12 MJF version...

silvertriple

Post by silvertriple »

This morning, I separated the parts for the 4th Super Wheelie to reassemble... My daughter car will be a runner, and the original gearbox which came with the car was heavily damaged : I decided to go for a printed gearbox with printed gear set. That will be the second test bed...

Then I needed to take care of the bumpers, CJ-7 like for at least two cars...
I have a few damaged bumpers able to do the job...

My plan is the following : a printed part to go on top of it, and a printed drilling template to make sur I can put the part in place and glue it in the right place...

I drilled the bumpers while the top parts are currently printing (resin)

silvertriple

Post by silvertriple »

Time for another build while the bumper parts prints are ongoing :)

We go full pink for this one :)

There is going to be a lot of pink :)

Hopefully, with this, my daughter won't say "not enough pink" :-)

I just have to drop in a rx and a battery, and she will be ready to run once I have sorted the bumper...

Only waiting for the Toyota Land Cruiser and Big Bear stickers before going for a full Marui family picture (I'll probably do an extended one - need to see if I can drop Super Wheelies arms in a Big Bear to make a Datsun pick up. The CJ-7 bumpers will be sorted soon as the print is finished...

silvertriple

Post by silvertriple »

Bumper print as per plan...
Next was to paint them...

No, I don't like super wheelies, I love them :-)

We just have to wait for the white Toyota Land Cruiser and the Big Bear stickers, now... I'm a bit late on my plan as I do need also to rebuild a 44B Hilux before next week-end...

silvertriple

Post by silvertriple »

Today, some stickers arrived from Down Under, courtesy of my friend Johann (aka yogi-bear)... This is just a sample, but it's on really nice and thin material and super easy to apply, like it was on the Mitsubishi...

I applied a set on the Big Bear bodyshell, and the result is really nice...
And there is a super cool sticker on the set, which is not really original, but I could not help to add it on the car, because I feel like Johann is sponsoring me, here... I wished he had some white version as well so I could put it on the Mitsubishi as well...
The Big Bear is almost done. I have a few wheels, and I hope to be able to pull 4 wheels with tires in ok state to be mounted on the chassis. I'll take care of this during the week...

Then, it was time to deal with the Land Cruiser...

Again, the stickers material is very nice... Super easy to apply even in the recesses or curves...

silvertriple

Post by silvertriple »

Big Bear wheels!

At first sight it looks like a score... But no, it's definitely not. Those wheels were accumulated with the different chassis and cars I got among this project (and that doesn't even include the first Big Bear which had modified rims to suit Lunchbox tires).
There is a total of 12 wheels in this box. Among which 11 have part of the tire. The top 6 are visible on the pictures, and 4 of them are in much better state than any of the others. They have been clearly repaired alredy. 4 others might be in state to become repaired tires. And the last 3 will serve as donnor for repaired tires...

At least that is the plan. The first priority will be to work on the 4 nicest wheels, to make sure we have nice rims with those...