So, what did you do RC today?

When it's R/C related, but doesn't fit anyplace else.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

R6cowboy

Re: So, what did you do RC today?

Post by R6cowboy »

Started putting together two FXT's. Cleaned all parts in the ultrasonic cleaner and assembled the transmissions. Replacing all the bushings with bearings.

image000001.jpg
image000000 (1).jpg
-Jerry-

1911Colt
Approved Member

Post by 1911Colt »

I went racing again. On Friday, I had no class to run, so I just hung around the event as volunteer turn marshall for every run. Tracks always need extra marshalls, and, as a newbie to carpet oval, there is a benefit to watching cars on track. I never understood why so many racers skip out on marshalling.

On sunday I was able to race my Cougar again. I made it much better than on the previous outing, but still have a way to go. Getting the car to work in an environment for which it was never intended has proven to be a good challenge. One interesting thing I encountered is that the Top Cat was waaaaay better suited to carpet oval than the Cougar (which was the new and improved Top Cat). On their first runs, both cars were set up for my very bumpy grass and dirt track at home. All I did to the Top Cat was throw on slicks, set the camber, and yank the spring spacers. It was dialed first time out. :D I think the much-maligned lay down, freefall shock setup that didn't work so well on dirt is actually very well suited to ovals. I am running the Cougar for the challenge, and because subjecting my Top Cat to the abuse a fleet of over-powered out of control Slashes can deliver was just not tolerable. :lol:

Because they are cheap, plentiful, and tough as hell, the whole club revolves around the Traxxas Slash. All of the rules- tires, gears, motors, traction compounds, everything was formulated with a Slash in mind. Even the driving style, i.e. wide open straight into the wall or a competitor's car, has developed around it. :lol: Only 1 person there had ever even heard of Schumacher. It is definitely the odd duck. Reminds of my days in 1:1 drag racing with a Ford. :lol:

In other news, my original Top Cat is temporarily on hold waiting for parts. I have a ton of Top Cat parts, NIP, but somehow, never the one I need. :?

In other, other news. My Storm 2000 "restoration" is going extremely well. The diff rebuild was easy. It felt horrible, worse than any I have encountered, so I feared the worst. Turns out it was just dry as a bone and torqued as tight as it would go. :lol: Clean, lube, reassemble- smooth as butter. :D For the chassis, I am literally just taking out old screws and putting in new screws to create the illusion that I did something. :lol: The tight steering and suspension were both cured with a couple of new ball cups here and there and backing off the steering posts. Shocks are next, then electronics.

1911Colt
Approved Member

Post by 1911Colt »

R6cowboy wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:16 pm Started putting together two FXT's.
Forgive my ignorance, but is that FXT as in the vintage Futaba truck?

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

1911Colt wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:08 am
R6cowboy wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:16 pm Started putting together two FXT's.
Forgive my ignorance, but is that FXT as in the vintage Futaba truck?
Yes.

I think he has about 42 of them, give or take. :lol:

I have trouble finding parts for one, while he repeatedly finds multiple comple trucks (for cheap).
Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.

R6cowboy

Post by R6cowboy »

juicedcoupe wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:26 pm Yes.

I think he has about 42 of them, give or take. :lol:

I have trouble finding parts for one, while he repeatedly finds multiple comple trucks (for cheap).
LMAO.... not all were cheap. I did drop a few hundos for a couple of them. But yeah, most were cheap :lol:
This reminds me, I have some original spare parts for yours. I'll send a pm soon.
-Jerry-

morrisey0

Post by morrisey0 »

Got a little more work in on the Pro-2 as I have to wait a few days for trans parts. Front end and pan section are fully done, and even fully wired. Just need to clean some rear end parts and get the trans internals, and will be looking into body and paint. I really want to jump the gun and get into the body, but I am a clear body reamer/cutter/trimmer kind of guy, so have to wait until the end.
Attachments
PRO2 BUILD 2.jpg
I build RCs like people would have done back in the '90s ..................................... if they had 3D printers.

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

Replaced the stubby antenna wire on a nice little Shredder receiver with one of the correct length. It should have been black like the original, but since it's 75mhz the green that I have isn't a bad change.
PXL_20230201_122626173.jpg
Also experimenting with slipper hub spur gear attachment. Was 2 screw now is 6 screw. Using 2 is a poor design because it results in spur gear rocking that loosens the 2 screws. The 3 screw pattern is ideal. I can do that now or do the 6 screw overkill. I'll try the 3 first.
PXL_20230201_133641188.jpg
PXL_20230201_140621879.jpg
PXL_20230201_144229436.jpg
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"

1911Colt
Approved Member

Post by 1911Colt »

I moved the short front big bore shocks to the back of my Cougar. I attached them using an XLS mount and ditched the wing assembly/shock mount/body mount setup. They have 5mm of internal limiters and 70w oil (up from 45). I put the stock front shocks back on the front with ~7.5 mm of internal limiters. This took nearly 10 mm out of the ride height. I am trying to resolve traction rolling issues and, of course, make it faster.

Quite convenient that the XLS mount lined up perfectly. The XLS suspension strap fits perfectly as well, and can be inverted to get the car even lower. I had concerns about the strength of the strap, though, because it would have moved the shock mounting points much farther out and away from the bulkhead.
Attachments
20230201_120437.jpg
20230201_120453.jpg
20230201_120453.jpg
20230201_120437.jpg

R6cowboy

Post by R6cowboy »

R6cowboy wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:16 pm Started putting together two FXT's. Cleaned all parts in the ultrasonic cleaner and assembled the transmissions. Replacing all the bushings with bearings.
image000001.jpg
image000000 (1).jpg
More FXT progress last night. Assembling them to factory spec for now. One will be a runner, and one a shelfer. The runner will get necessary upgrades and be properly molested afterwards.

image000000.jpg
-Jerry-

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

After seeing Jerry building two FXT's at a time, I figured that I should at least rough cut the body on mine.
Screenshot_20230202_093005_Gallery.jpg
Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.

1911Colt
Approved Member

Post by 1911Colt »

My lower stiffer Cougar was flying last night! :twisted: It has a lot more left in it as it was pushing wide on exit, forcing me to modulate the throttle. Even so, I think the car is "done" for now. Time to work on the driver. Well, maybe thicker fluid in the right front shock.

In the previous race, I did 25 laps with a lot of time lost to crashes (traction rolls). My best lap ever in any session was a 6.1. Last night I ran on a 41 lap pace with no crashes for 34 laps and clocked a 5.6. :P Granted it was free practice, with no SR10s or Slashes knocking me about, but the improvement was huge. Just being able to concentrate on speed vs not flipping over was worth doing all of the work. :D

Anyway, I harbor no illusions about ever being good at this. It is just fun running the vintage platform and making it work. The response from the other racers has been really positive. Several folks have mentioned possibly joining me to form a buggy class.
Attachments
20230201_205047.jpg

Dirtburner
Approved Member

Post by Dirtburner »

Spent all day counting the holes in this shock tower.

20230203_070759.jpg

morrisey0

Post by morrisey0 »

Dirtburner wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:13 pm Spent all day counting the holes in this shock tower.
Now you have to spend another half day making up an accurate setup sheet. :D
I build RCs like people would have done back in the '90s ..................................... if they had 3D printers.

Retro rc

Post by Retro rc »

morrisey0 wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:31 pm
Dirtburner wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:13 pm Spent all day counting the holes in this shock tower.
Now you have to spend another half day making up an accurate setup sheet. :D
😂😂😂

R6cowboy

Post by R6cowboy »

juicedcoupe wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:33 am After seeing Jerry building two FXT's at a time, I figured that I should at least rough cut the body on mine.

Screenshot_20230202_093005_Gallery.jpg
Yes sir, much like. Now I only have 40 or so more to build... give or take a few :lol:
Just thought, I've been holding to make a TBG order for too long. Literally need $280 worth of FXT bodies and $500 worth of bodies all together. Not to mention needed MCI decals. D*mn, when's the next 20% holiday discount? :shock:
-Jerry-