I am likely posting in the wrong section. But need training wheels. Have a Worlds kit and need help

When it's R/C related, but doesn't fit anyplace else.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Regulatori

I am likely posting in the wrong section. But need training wheels. Have a Worlds kit and need help

Post by Regulatori »

I am old. To me the pinnacle of RC10 was Masami's 91 World car. For a production car it was the "World's Car."
My old school cars consisted of a Kyosho Ultima, Optima, and then the RC10 bug bit me.

A few questions.

I have a "new" Worlds car rolling chassis. At the time I was trying to be legit and hunt down Novak T1 and Airtronics XL2P or other old school nonsense but lost interest.
The only thing I care about is getting this car back on the road. I have no expectations, this is is a car I will drive in a parking garage to put a smile on my face

Questions:

-What is the cheapest way to get my Worlds car back on the road. I have an old Futaba Sport/Servos but feel like they are garbage right now.
-Is there any radios that are similar profile to the Airtronics XL2P? It's stupid to ask but I loved that radio.

-I mainly want to get back on the road cheapest as possible without burning out the diff/tranny.

So basically, what is the cheapest setup to get me on the road again? I'm embarrassed asking because I feel like an old man on the rocking chair skimming RC Car Action looking for the Tower Hobbies pages to order.

juicedcoupe

Re: I am likely posting in the wrong section. But need training wheels. Have a Worlds kit and need help

Post by juicedcoupe »

Even if I were set on a vintage Airtronics transmitter, I'd still want a receiver compatible with common plugs. IMHO, dealing with the early Airtronics wiring isn't worth the trouble.

Honestly, every time I use a newer 2.4ghz transmitter, they feel cheap compared to my vintage Futaba, Airtronics, and JR radios.
Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.

coxbros1

Re: I am likely posting in the wrong section. But need training wheels. Have a Worlds kit and need help

Post by coxbros1 »

i would buy an Airtronics M8 or M11 transmitter from Ebay etc. that has the Spektrum module in it. Then u could get that old school feel but still have the 2.4ghz technology. Try and score one with matching 1st version Spektrum receiver (the grey one with orange sticker and green light). That transmitter also came with an FM module and receiver/long antenna as an alternate option but the 2.4ghz setup is much better.
As far as power I would definitely go 2s lipo with a cool vintage brushed modified motor. The esc u want is a Hobbywing 1060. They are cheap ($25) and require no programming and work great. Good Luck and welcome aboard RC10Talk!
Tap pic for clarity: Derek

threesheds
Approved Member

Post by threesheds »

Well methusala? How old are u,? I missed the Rc bus and resurrected my son's buggies from the loft. (In my 70s but still got a pulse)
I've stuck with brushed motor and nicad or NiMH batteries but replaced acoms with cheap flysky 2.4ghz. Don't need a long aerial with that. an ESC can be £8 off ebay and works ok for street running. An old steering servo plug might be too fat for a 2.4 Rx but either sand it down to fit or replace with a cheap servo . I spent £25 flysky TX and RX, £8 ESC, servo £10.
A lot of people are waxing lyrical about old brushed motors and original mechanical speed controllers too, so it's horses for courses what you choose.
Put up some pics of what you've got.
Best wishes