DuraTrax Sixpack ST 2.8 Tires on T4

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

advintage

DuraTrax Sixpack ST 2.8 Tires on T4

Post by advintage »

Was wondering if anyone has run DuraTrax Sixpack MT 2.8 Mounted Truck Tires 2WD C2 on a RC10T4?

My questions, if so:
  1. do I get the 2.8 or the 2.2
  2. and I heard you should have a half inch offset on these, so does that mean a half inch offset on the back and the front?
  3. and if with this offset does that mean you have to buy an extra part or the rims already built with the offset in it?
  4. do these wheels come with bearing slots?
Here are the versions: Duratrax Six Pack ST 2.8 2WD Mounted 1/2" Offset Blk (2) Dtxc3562 & Front Black DTXC3558

Or I may just run them on the backs and keep the lined donuts on the front.

Any advice on these or recommended all-terrain tires? Thanks!
Bash'n with a brew... or two

advintage

Re: DuraTrax Sixpack ST 2.8 Tires on T4

Post by advintage »

OK, so since this post did not get any answers I will go ahead and answer it myself based on the research I have done since I posted the question. Maybe this will help someones else.

Basically, you can get the 2.8 or the 2.2, typically 2.2 is for buggys. The inner diameter of the plastic wheel part when measured across the circumference, whether it’s an RC 10T or an RC 10B is usually about 2.2 inches wide. The difference in a buggy or a truck or a monster truck is how much rubber then is added onto that plastic wheel. For example, with the buggy the entire wheel's diameter including the rubber comes to about 3.3 inches. The entire wheel for the stadium truck typically comes to about 4 inches wide, the monster truck then goes over 4 inches to sometimes > 4.8 inches.

The offset is typically associated with the rear wheel and you do not need any additional parts. Not sure why offset is not more associated with front because of turning though. Depending on what kind of wheel you have and there are three: pin style, hex style, and bearing style (which the bearing style is on the front wheels because there’s no driveshaft in 2 wheel drive) will dictate the offset type.

Overall the answer to my question is: I'd go with the 2.8 with these AT tires, but make sure it’s the stadium truck, because from experience if you go to 2.8 in the MT or the monster truck it will be abusive on both your servo and all other components in the drivetrain in the rear including the dog bones and gearing. Bottom line is if you throw monster truck wheels on an RC10 stadium truck, while it may look cool for a photo or two, it will blow out a lot of the parts and gearing you have on the RC10T.

I'm not an expert, just throwing this stuff out there.
Bash'n with a brew... or two

dldiaz

Re: DuraTrax Sixpack ST 2.8 Tires on T4

Post by dldiaz »

Howdy advintage!
I run the Six-Pack 2.8 ST (Stadium Truck) wheels/tires on several models, I like them very much for general bashing.

The closest thing I have to your question about a T4, is an RC10 T5M - I use the 12mm hex, 1/2 offset Duratrax Six-Pack wheels/tires at all four corners.
No modifications needed at all - well to clarify, there are factory options for the front hexes, I use the 8.5mm offset at front (I believe these are also the stock front hexes, but there are other AE options).
- I use these same 2.8 wheels on multiple Traxxas models with very good results.
- The MT version (Monster Truck), I use on a Traxxas Stampede, the are much larger tires!

The Duratrax 2.2 wheels/tires are definitely buggy-size, not stadium truck - I use these on a Kyosho Optima, they work great for that application.

-dldiaz
-dldiaz