Flying with RC stuff? Checked bags

When it's R/C related, but doesn't fit anyplace else.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

RCveteran
Approved Member

Flying with RC stuff? Checked bags

Post by RCveteran »

Any experience here flying with RC stuff? Do you carry on your stuff, have you checked it, what about LIPO batteries?

TSA website says they can be carried on but is silent to the batteries? I also don't think if I was traveling to the VONATS (next year) I could fit what I need in a carry on?

Maybe ship ahead of time? Maybe ship some stuff and carry some on? Obviously the big time national drivers must do it somehow.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/items/remote-controlled-cars

JarLuck

Re: Flying with RC stuff? Checked bags

Post by JarLuck »

Check with the specific airline you are flying with. Some have differing policies. Typically they are required to be removed from devices and put in carry on luggage . Keeping them in a lipo sack with the contacts taped is also a good idea.

General air travel with r/c tips:

-Carry on as many of the essentials (car, radio, batteries, etc.) on hand as you can. That way if your luggage gets lost you can still race even if you have to borrow tools, chargers, etc. when you get there.

-Also put an r/c magazine in your carry on with you to help explain to TSA what all the "stuff" is...
-Wrap things like chargers in your clothes and put in your packed luggage.
-Fluids like glue and shock oil are better off getting shipped ahead or buy/borrowing when you get there.
-Pre weigh all your bags to make sure you don't get hit with overweight baggage fees. Bring a small luggage scale with you in case your bag unexpectedly gains some weight during your trip.

Hope this helps. I'd love to make it VONATS one of these years too...

RCveteran
Approved Member

Post by RCveteran »

Appreciate it, clearly I would have to come up with a just the necessities kit rather than the usual junk I haul to track. That of course makes it all the more important what I do bring makes it there safely. Tires would be the challenge not being able to bring an assortment for the ever changing mystery that is clay. I'd error on a set of mounted slicks and the soft clay tire of the week I guess. Not going to win as I suck but would settle to have traction at least given the expense and time of traveling so far for an event.

dldiaz

Post by dldiaz »

We are flying United Airlines, they say individual Lithium batteries are permitted in carry on luggage (but not in checked bags), I do plan to have them in a fireproof 'LiPo bag'.

Also, United says the following:
"...up to two larger lithium batteries (more than 100 watt hours, but not exceeding 160 watt hours) are permitted in carry-on baggage if the terminals are properly covered or insulated..."

But they do not give any limit for 'smaller' batteries - for some perspective on this 'watt hour' rating:
I have a couple of Gens Ace 2s 5000mAh batteries, they are rated at 37 'watt hours' each.

So each battery is well under their definition of "larger" batteries - but to be safe, I think I will still only bring two batteries.
- I think I can race one [stock motor] class with two 5000mAh batteries?? :)
- Run one, charge the other, run the other, and charge the first one... for 3 qualifiers and a main.
- ? Maybe I should sneak a couple of 'practice' batteries in my wife's carry on!?? :twisted:
-dldiaz

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

Got back from vacation last month and on a lengthy layover I did some question asking.

United Airlines doesn't like lipo batteries in checked bags(like most airlines) because of the extreme temp. changes but had no care in the world on if I packed 20+ batteries in my carry on as long as they were safely packed.

Thats just my info which doesn't really differ from whats already been said but worst case scenario is you bring a few reliable batteries and buy some more when you are out there and send them home when done racing or send your batteries to a local or someone driving there if you can arrange something like that and then everything is cool runnings.

I'm from the midwest so I'd be driving if I ever got a chance to go. Its only like 12 hours or so...thats like a day trip to me :lol:

\Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

Post by Incredible_Serious »

klavy69 wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:16 pm I'm from the midwest so I'd be driving if I ever got a chance to go. Its only like 12 hours or so...thats like a day trip to me :lol:

\Todd
Or two days, with a bit of serial slash-and-hack on the way..... :roll: :shock: :lol:
Osiris is the key.

"The world looks so much better through beer goggles... except Farmer in his underwear" - Ken

Look out for Todd K. - he's a convicted serial killer!!!

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

Children of the corn
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

Post by Incredible_Serious »

RC10th wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:05 am Children of the corn
That's a Vegan thing, right?
Osiris is the key.

"The world looks so much better through beer goggles... except Farmer in his underwear" - Ken

Look out for Todd K. - he's a convicted serial killer!!!

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

Incredible_Serious wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:14 am
RC10th wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:05 am Children of the corn
That's a Vegan thing, right?
Ummmmm................ no

But it is a midwest thing

:lol:
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

dldiaz wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:07 pm We are flying United Airlines, they say individual Lithium batteries are permitted in carry on luggage (but not in checked bags), I do plan to have them in a fireproof 'LiPo bag'.

Also, United says the following:
"...up to two larger lithium batteries (more than 100 watt hours, but not exceeding 160 watt hours) are permitted in carry-on baggage if the terminals are properly covered or insulated..."

But they do not give any limit for 'smaller' batteries - for some perspective on this 'watt hour' rating:
I have a couple of Gens Ace 2s 5000mAh batteries, they are rated at 37 'watt hours' each.

So each battery is well under their definition of "larger" batteries - but to be safe, I think I will still only bring two batteries.
- I think I can race one [stock motor] class with two 5000mAh batteries?? :)
- Run one, charge the other, run the other, and charge the first one... for 3 qualifiers and a main.
- ? Maybe I should sneak a couple of 'practice' batteries in my wife's carry on!?? :twisted:
you should be fine with one class and two batteries. For my classic entry rc10 last year, I was using around 1000mAh or so during the heats, granted I'm not the fastest guy, but I only ran into one timing issue where I had about 15 minutes between mains to add some more charge, and that was because I bumped up. I only had a single lipo I was using. There is plenty of time between heats to charge. I would have had no issues with two packs.

RCveteran
Approved Member

Post by RCveteran »

I have run modern race days (3 qualifier and Main) on one LIPO so two should be more than fine. Charging at 10AMPS you can zap them up quick these days. The crazy guys who show up with a charging station the size of a battle ship with 3 computer screens and physics degree baffle me. Maybe I don't know what I don't know but the greatest thing about modern Lipos is we are all pretty equal battery wise regardless of whatever voodoo they are doing.

Recently one of our top fast uber competitive nationals level on road guys was going faster with the amazon battery than the big name. He then took the spec battery from the Tamiya TT01 truck battery class and threw it in his Xray wonder carpet car and turned the exact same lap time as his shorty race battery. That evening made me worry a whole lot less about batteries.

dldiaz

Post by dldiaz »

Well, I flew to Boston for the VONats, I was prepared for the TSA to inspect my carry-on suitcase which had my Tamiya Falcon, a bunch of spare parts (including small metal bits, axles, shock shafts, etc.), two LiPo batteries and charger, and some R/C car literature to explain what I was up to. Than I had a backpack with my transmitter and few other items.
- As sure as Sunday morning, they took a long time scanning my stuff, eventually pulled it off the belt, and called over another inspector.
- I was already explaining that it was a Radio Controlled car, and that I had reviewed United Airlines' policy on lithium batteries, etc., etc.

The TSA agent proceeded to unzip the front pocket of my suitcase... and inspected the individual packs of trail-mix I had for snacks!
They couldn't care less about the R/C car or the LiPo batteries, etc...
(( I was so confused, I didn't even ask how peanuts and raisins were potential air-travel security risks?!? ))

So next time I travel, I will have minimal concern about TSA not permitting my items to pass.
- Now the concern becomes: how can I fit 4 or 5 R/C cars in my luggage??

Question:
Do y'all think the extremes of [low] air-pressure and [low] temperature at 30,000 feet (in the checked-bag compartment) would harm an R/C car or its electronics??
* Air temperature at 30,000ft would be around MINUS FORTY degrees Fahrenheit!
- LiPo batteries would still be required in the passenger compartment (i.e. carry-on luggage).
-dldiaz

JarLuck

Post by JarLuck »

dldiaz wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:50 pm Well, I flew to Boston for the VONats, I was prepared for the TSA to inspect my carry-on suitcase which had my Tamiya Falcon, a bunch of spare parts (including small metal bits, axles, shock shafts, etc.), two LiPo batteries and charger, and some R/C car literature to explain what I was up to. Than I had a backpack with my transmitter and few other items.
- As sure as Sunday morning, they took a long time scanning my stuff, eventually pulled it off the belt, and called over another inspector.
- I was already explaining that it was a Radio Controlled car, and that I had reviewed United Airlines' policy on lithium batteries, etc., etc.

The TSA agent proceeded to unzip the front pocket of my suitcase... and inspected the individual packs of trail-mix I had for snacks!
They couldn't care less about the R/C car or the LiPo batteries, etc...
(( I was so confused, I didn't even ask how peanuts and raisins were potential air-travel security risks?!? ))

So next time I travel, I will have minimal concern about TSA not permitting my items to pass.
- Now the concern becomes: how can I fit 4 or 5 R/C cars in my luggage??

Question:
Do y'all think the extremes of [low] air-pressure and [low] temperature at 30,000 feet (in the checked-bag compartment) would harm an R/C car or its electronics??
* Air temperature at 30,000ft would be around MINUS FORTY degrees Fahrenheit!
- LiPo batteries would still be required in the passenger compartment (i.e. carry-on luggage).
Electronics and stuff should be fine at altitude/temperature in the luggage hold. Decades old vintage plastic parts.......i'm not so sure.

The one thing that the pressure will effect is oil filled shocks. Typically you'll want to fly with the shocks disassembled, or be prepared to rebuild the shocks once you land. The pressure differences can cause the o-rings to swell and leak oil so it's best to just plan on build/rebuilding them once you get there..

RCveteran
Approved Member

Post by RCveteran »

This thread has been helpful. Thanks.

AscotConversion
Approved Member

Post by AscotConversion »

Generally, I bring the car in the carry on, and keep the battery in the car. When I read the TSA rules, if the battery is in the device using it, you should be ok. When you are carrying loose batteries is when you can get into problems with capacity, etc.

I take the car and the radio with me in carry on so if nothing else arrives, I at least have the car to drive. I also book non stop, or at least no plane change flights on the way out. They will lose your checked items if you change planes, it has happened multiple times on the way to races.

As far as getting pulled to the side, it's random. Sometimes my carry on goes right through, sometimes its the full inspection. Most of the TSA people seem matter of fact about it. Some guys ask where I'm racing.

The main thing is to make sure anything like small parts containers are well secured if you check it. They chuck the bags around, and stuff tends to bust open if you don't put rubber bands or tape around small parts boxes in luggage. I like to wrap stuff in blue towels so I have some padding and towels at the track when I arrive!

This is my experience from going to the Tamiya Nationals once a year since 2009, besides other races.