My SRT.

The place for all things Traxxas.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Emaxx2.0
Approved Member

My SRT.

Post by Emaxx2.0 »

Hi, New here and coming from the Traxxas vintage forum. I have a huge thread about my SRT. I'll like to share it with everyone here and show what Traxxas really had going for it. Personally, the SRT and TCP are the greatest RC vehicles ever made. I sold a fully deck out RC10T4.1 with a Tekin and Spektrum setup(GF had something to do with it to but that's a different story lol) to get the SRT. Trust me I'm not Traxxas fanboy. I do not like any of there new vehicles (except the E-Maxx, Slash 2wd/4wd and Nitro Sport/Rustler) and find the RTR market ruined what they had going for them. What happen to the "Team to Watch"? Trust me I'm new to the vintage crew but in a short amount of time I had been very 'helpful" for some members location very rare parts. Anyways

This is the life my SRT start off as. It was painful to look at. Rust everywhere, hard water and lime build up, screws and turnbuckles stripped or bent. It was a lost. But I didn't care. B/c it's a SRT and this one was mine.
Original sellers picture. $70 bucks and came with a extra chassis and extremely rare parts. Easily can go to any hobbyshop buy the parts and have 2 SRT up.

Pictures when I arrived to my house.

Started the cleaning with the transmission. Installed brand new Delrin top gear and aluminum idler. To my surprised the ball diff was in excellent condition and silky smooth. The motor plate and guard was not damaged nor stripped. Hunted down a 1987 gear cover. I was getting sucked into addiction. I didn't care b/c this is the very best you can have!!!

Polished the chassis and upper deck.
Before.
After.

A little work and cleaning and truck was half way done. Bought a stainless steel screw kit...looks great on the SRT.
Traxxas SRT and TCP. Keeping a dying breed alive.

Emaxx2.0
Approved Member

Re: My SRT.

Post by Emaxx2.0 »

While building that SRT someone on the Traxxas forum decided to make me even poorer then I was. The only thing in the world that can just say IDC I WANT IT I WANT IT NOW!!! At first I thought $180 was expensive for a complete SRT and some extra but boy when the package came in I was blow away. Best $180 of my life.

The Box. Worth the $180 itself(ok maybe not but still beautiful). The Seller asked if I even wanted the box...YES!!!!

Inside the Box! Alot of extra parts like Traxxas standard bigbores and springs for the SRT, Spurs gears, ball diffs and tires and the holy grail!!!

The Holy Grail
In mint condition!

Now. You probably think I'm not even going to finish the SRT I started working on and just use it for parts...NOPE. I took the complete SRT and used the good parts of it and put it on the one I originally begin building.

Here is the results. Also Note I did a steering mod....it's amazing in the driveway but idk how it will handle the track...what?... you think I'm not going to run it?

Now with Electronics and VXL body. Yes that is a JRZ9100S servo....I agree looks beautiful :lol: .

Now. Once I get some money I'll get a Tekin system in her and build the other 2. I hope you guys enjoy.

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

It's good to be in love with a car you own ;) Welcome to the forum. Indeed we all wonder why "TRX-1"-Traxxas have done this to themselves, actually the answer is easy: cash :mrgreen:

If you're running this baby, ditch the diff plastic outdrives and get the alloy ones ;)

Paul
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

cunawarit
Approved Member

Post by cunawarit »

NICE! Its amazing how close yet far this is to a Rustler, just about everything is different, but when you look closely you there's an aftermarket part that approximates the SRT very very closely indeed.

markbt73
Approved Member

Post by markbt73 »

So in the "before" pics, SRT stood for "Seriously Rusty Truck"? ;)

Looks great! I miss the old Traxxas as well. The last one I bought was a Bandit kit, on clearance, for like $79. Probably the last Traxxas kit ever sold at that shop.

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

Nice SRT. Check in with harry697's posts at the traxxas forums and you'll see some nice mods he came up with but if I remember correctly its mostly stock. He has some great running vids of his SRT also. Might even be a race vid on there somewhere. I ran one of mine for awhile and had to dial the steering out of it. The truck has a ton of steering already but yours looks like it could turn on a dime and run on a very tight track :wink: .
looks good though...now go run it and get us some 'dirty' pix of it 8)

Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

3trxvintage
Approved Member

Post by 3trxvintage »

Hey! Glad you joined this site. Thanks for sharing the pictures :D Make sure to check out the vintage Traxxas scans thread that I started. I have posted many pictures of the SRT. You can find the thread in the Traxxas forum.

cunawarit
Approved Member

Post by cunawarit »

markbt73 wrote:Looks great! I miss the old Traxxas as well. The last one I bought was a Bandit kit, on clearance, for like $79. Probably the last Traxxas kit ever sold at that shop.
Me too, last and only Traxxas I bought was a Bandit kit. For years I didn't realize that they had gone the RTR only route. Its a shame, I realize that there's more money to be made from the bashing crowd who demand RTRs, but I don't understand why they don't offer the kits anymore. There's a market for them, and right now the Ebay chop shops are fulfilling it with rollers.

I guess Traxxas doesn't mind, they still make more more money overall fuelling the chop shops.

Emaxx2.0
Approved Member

Post by Emaxx2.0 »

Thanks for the response guys! This is truly a amazing truck to work on and even to look at. I can't wait to finish the other 2 SRT I have. Has for the steering it turns just as sharp then my T4.1 with Inline axles. This truck is way lighter then my T4.1 was...that truck is too rear heavy compare to this. I feel is Traxxas really push racing the kits would be unmatched. Look at the Jato and Revo. Traxas can do it and has made a name for itself that anyone knows who they are. But honestly do not bring back the SRT or TCP...they deserve to remain legends.

3trxvintage
Approved Member

Post by 3trxvintage »

What they need is the long over-due SRT-2 and TCP-2, both in a kit version. If these ever come out you can bet will be one of the first in line to get one.

Glad you are on this site as mentioned earlier. I think you will like it here becasue the moderators are a little more relaxed with thier rules. You can also post larger pictures from photobucket on this site, opposed to the Traxxas site. I also love the fact they let you have an avatar :D. We need to convince danielhr77 to join this site and bring with him all of his awesome projects. 8)

harry697
Approved Member

Post by harry697 »

klavy69 wrote: Might even be a race vid on there somewhere.

Well, since you asked so politely. :mrgreen:

This is one of the only vids I could find. Back in 2008 and the first year I ever raced. My SRT was the only Traxxas at the track, period. This was before the Slash spec craze came along. Every other truck was either a Losi XXX-T CR or T4 (mainly Losi). I was running a very loose slipper as you can hear approaching the big double. Had to tame that VXL motor on the blue groove or it would be nonstop wheelies.

I really do miss that truck!

3trxvintage
Approved Member

Post by 3trxvintage »

Very cool video Harry 8) Looks like the SRT can still hold it's ground against the latest offerings from losi and associated. So I forget where did you finish in your races?

I bet that truck generated a great deal of attention from the other racers when they realized a 13 year old truck was still competitive. They were probably even more shocked to find out it was a Traxxas model. :shock:

harry697
Approved Member

Post by harry697 »

3trxvintage wrote:Very cool video Harry 8) Looks like the SRT can still hold it's ground against the latest offerings from losi and associated. So I forget where did you finish in your races?

I bet that truck generated a great deal of attention from the other racers when they realized a 13 year old truck was still competitive. They were probably even more shocked to find out it was a Traxxas model. :shock:

I usually ended up second or third place in the a-main with it. There were two very fast Losi guys that would go 1 and 2 every weekend unless they broke. I actually TQ'd the day of that particular race, only to case the first camel back jump and go straight to last. I believe I ended up making my way back to third at the end.

And yeah, the truck definitely raised some eyebrows. One guy really took it to heart when his T4, and this is his quote "got beat by a Traxxas". :D

cunawarit
Approved Member

Post by cunawarit »

lol, I kind of understand why people might get a little downbeat when beaten by an RTR basher Traxxas. But someone should take getting beaten by an SRT on the chin.

3trxvintage
Approved Member

Post by 3trxvintage »

cunawarit wrote:lol, I kind of understand why people might get a little downbeat when beaten by an RTR basher Traxxas. But someone should take getting beaten by an SRT on the chin.
I agree the SRT was designed to be a racer. I bet if Traxxas really wanted to they could design a really cool new 1/10 scale buggy and truck. Unfortunately, I think they realize this is not what the current RC market demands. The rustler and bandit designs are almost 17 years old. Of course Traxxas has updated a few things on these models but they are basically the same vehicles you could purchase back in 1995/1996. I think it is time for a new 1/10 scale 2wd stadium truck and buggy. What do you guys think?