My RC10CE runner build

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

steelhead
Approved Member

My RC10CE runner build

Post by steelhead »

So I'm pretty new to the forum, and have found this place to be an awesome resource for all things vintage. I've been scouring ebay for about a month and finally found an RC10 I think I can live with. I wanted a runner, so nothing so nice I wouldn't be tempted to just have a shelfer. I found this CE edition and picked it up. I really wanted one with a stealth tranny and one that was fairly complete. After selling my original RC10 over 20 years ago, I now have another in my possession and plan on building something that I can enjoy and re-live my youth with. Plans are for a complete tear down and rebuild, I've already got a set of TQ tires to go on it, need to get a new body and wing, ball bearings, and whatever else I see needs done. This is gonna be fun.
Attachments
DSC_0561.JPG
DSC_0560.JPG
DSC_0559.JPG
DSC_0558.JPG

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Re: My RC10CE runner build

Post by Charlie don't surf »

That's a perfect runner car! What are you going to do with it, race or bash?

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

definately a nice complete car to start from.

steelhead
Approved Member

Post by steelhead »

Charlie don't surf wrote:That's a perfect runner car! What are you going to do with it, race or bash?
I would love to race it, but around here (Idaho Falls, ID) there really is no organized racing to speak of. My buddy and I have built a track in his backyard for our short course trucks so that's where it will be run most of the time. As much as I love bashing, this car will not see much of that, I'd rather just keep it on a racetrack.

steelhead
Approved Member

Post by steelhead »

scr8p wrote:definately a nice complete car to start from.
Thanks, I think I got a really good deal on it as the car looks to be in really good shape. Just made an order to Tower for a body, wing, and paint.

Harrylarry
Approved Member

Post by Harrylarry »

That's a nice late model ce. Run it an have a blast.

steelhead
Approved Member

Post by steelhead »

So I finally had time after work last night to tear into her, and overall she's pretty solid. A little bit of rust, and one slightly bent rear turnbuckle was all that I could really find that needs work. The stealth tranny looks pretty solid, I just need to get some bearings and put it all back together. The chassis itself is a little bit discolored (lighter in some areas), does anyone know what causes this? Anything I can do to make it look a little better?

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

have it reanodized. only way to fix that.

steelhead
Approved Member

Post by steelhead »

scr8p wrote:have it reanodized. only way to fix that.
Yeah, that's what I thought. If this was shelfer I would, but since she's just gonna be a runner I'll live with it.

kaiser
Approved Member

Post by kaiser »

steelhead wrote:
Charlie don't surf wrote:That's a perfect runner car! What are you going to do with it, race or bash?
I would love to race it, but around here (Idaho Falls, ID) there really is no organized racing to speak of. My buddy and I have built a track in his backyard for our short course trucks so that's where it will be run most of the time. As much as I love bashing, this car will not see much of that, I'd rather just keep it on a racetrack.
get more of your buddies (and their buddies) involved, next thing you know there will be organized racing in idaho falls!

congrats on coming back to the gold though, it makes me happy to see new people getting into vintage rc.

steelhead
Approved Member

Post by steelhead »

Yeah, the sad thing is when I was a teenager, we had an R/C club and races almost every week. We had a few indoor tracks/hobby shops and a couple outdoor tracks. Now the only local hobby shop is a Hobbytown and they could care less about any sort of racing. In the late 90's my buddy helped his dad sell R/C stuff along with his KTM dealership, and we built a track and had a fairly good turnout, but eventually racing just died off around here. Seems like all the younger kids are more interested in bashing than racing. The other problem is we have maybe 4 months of good weather in the summer to race, but people are always traveling, camping, etc. in the summertime. If we had an indoor track it would be great because then we'd have something to do in the long winter months.

steelhead
Approved Member

Post by steelhead »

Well, I 'm almost done tearing this thing down. It looks like this buggy has been ran in the sand as things were really gritty. Luckily the transmission looks pretty good. Shocks had no oil in them. The right side rear hub did have bearings in it but they were completely shot. Made an order to Avid for a complete set of bearings. Still need to pick up an antenna mount and a battery hold down bar.

steelhead
Approved Member

Post by steelhead »

After about five months I finally got some time to get back to my RC10. We moved and I just haven't had the time, but the other night I rounded up my parts and began the rebuild. Got the front end (minus shocks) done and then moved onto the Stealth tranny. Tore it apart, cleaned it up, rebuilt the diff, and the most important part, added brand new ball bearings from Avid.
Attachments
DSC_0222_edited-1.jpg

vwjuice
Approved Member

Post by vwjuice »

That's looking like a pretty good start. I bet it'll be a blast when it's done.

REMJ666
Approved Member

Post by REMJ666 »

Get a B4 top shaft and slipper parts for it...You won't regret it...It will eliminate that roll pin and be alot easier to rebuild...
Late Edinger Gold Pan # 6010 .....Vintage Blackfoot....Electrix Circuit Stadium Truck ....Kyosho Ultima Pro XL