93 offroad worlds, dirt & track mag

The place for digital versions of specific articles and ads.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

GJW
Approved Member

93 offroad worlds, dirt & track mag

Post by GJW »

Jay Dub
Approved Member

Re: 93 offroad worlds, dirt & track mag

Post by Jay Dub »

HA! looks like aI won both my finals :roll: :lol:

littleVETTE
Approved Member

Post by littleVETTE »

that's pretty cool jeff. was that when you were with schumacher? and what was the prep up to the race like?

Jay Dub
Approved Member

Post by Jay Dub »

Yeah, I ran for Schumacher at that race. The prep for that race was mostly done with a Cougar 2 and My Cat 2000 (I think). The Cougar 2000 was relatively new for that race and we didn't have time to practice for more than a few weeks. Mainly testing 6 cell setups, because up until that time we were running 7 cells in mod. I practiced alot at RC Speedway in Milpitas, as well as Hobby Haven in Livermore. Both smaller, high bite indoor tracks. Completely opposite of what the track in Basildon was like. The Basildon track was quite large (22sec laps) and the worst surface I have ever seen. I was completly un-prepared for that type of event. I was in my teens, and there alone (= a fair amount of drinking :lol: ). I had to rely on my sponsors for the event who really did a poor job of giving me the proper equipment. And I wasn't mature enough to understand how to deal with all the BS going on, and be successful. I wish I had it to do over again, or had someone there to help who new how hard it was going to be, and could make it better. But it was fun, and tought me alot. I remember at the awards ceremonies speaking with Cecil Schumacher, and appoligizing for my pathetic performance :roll: . He seemed surprised. Me too. -Jeff

GJW
Approved Member

Post by GJW »

how could any world's tracks be badly prepared, it's just disgraceful really. 22 sec's :shock: when did you start to take racing seriously jeff?

littleVETTE
Approved Member

Post by littleVETTE »

Jay Dub wrote:Yeah, I ran for Schumacher at that race. The prep for that race was mostly done with a Cougar 2 and My Cat 2000 (I think). The Cougar 2000 was relatively new for that race and we didn't have time to practice for more than a few weeks. Mainly testing 6 cell setups, because up until that time we were running 7 cells in mod. I practiced alot at RC Speedway in Milpitas, as well as Hobby Haven in Livermore. Both smaller, high bite indoor tracks. Completely opposite of what the track in Basildon was like. The Basildon track was quite large (22sec laps) and the worst surface I have ever seen. I was completly un-prepared for that type of event. I was in my teens, and there alone (= a fair amount of drinking :lol: ). I had to rely on my sponsors for the event who really did a poor job of giving me the proper equipment. And I wasn't mature enough to understand how to deal with all the BS going on, and be successful. I wish I had it to do over again, or had someone there to help who new how hard it was going to be, and could make it better. But it was fun, and tought me alot. I remember at the awards ceremonies speaking with Cecil Schumacher, and appoligizing for my pathetic performance :roll: . He seemed surprised. Me too. -Jeff

really cool stuff. too bad you were alone over there.

but, would you do it again?

Jay Dub
Approved Member

Post by Jay Dub »

I started racing seriously in 1989. It was a whirlwind for me really. My dad bought me a XLS for my birtday in october of 1988, and I started racing the next season. That year I won the ROAR Reginals, and then in 1990 I won the Roar Nationals. It was alot of success in the first few years. I tried to race as much as possible but the closest track to me was an hour plus away, so I didn't get to the track as much as I should have (or wanted). I have always taken racing seriously and love the problem solving aspect of the hobby. I also really enjoy the comradery, and the sharing of stories. I still take racing seriously, but have a slightly different take on things.

My father was raised in a very poor household. Because of this there were certain tendencies he passed on (unknowingly). One of them was this sincere desire and sense of satisfaction he gained from doing more with less. I learned very early in my racing career to "make it work" and a special satisfaction in beating other racers with my inferior equipment. Well, this works well in a local scene, but is impossible to be competative in a larger forum. So once I moved into the modified classes, and started competing at a world level, my normal sponsors wouldn't do. Unfortunately it took me way too long to realize this. I didn't have the "I need to have the best equipment at all times" mentality, which is what it takes. I also learned to settle. I can't tell you how many opportunities I missed (Nats, Invte races, etc.) to do well or win, because I thought my equipment was up to snuff and wasn't. Unfortuantely this attitude also bled over into my driving and racing mentality. I was a "lone wolf" of sorts. I ran the odd cars, and equipment and nobody could tell me how to set them up or make them work. I thought nobody knows my stuff like me. So I thought I had to figure out everything for my self. It has made for a very long, steep hill to climb. I am a better person for it, but I missed out on alot of rewards along the way. -Jeff