just something I wanted to rant about...

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

PBR Allstar
Approved Member

just something I wanted to rant about...

Post by PBR Allstar »

I started to say this in some other thread, in some other place, but thought I'd share it with you guys since a lot of you have been racing since BITD.

One complaint I do have about racing now is the number of classes for similar cars, back when I started racing offroad in the early 90's when I was all of 13 or so, they had 27T 2wd. On any given saturday there were 30+ cars in 27T 2wd, and it may be your first or second weekend on the sticks (futaba attack in my case, wheels had come out, but I had to buy my gear in stages) yet you were on the stand with the sponsored guys, by the time you made the A-main it may have been like winning the worlds! Now I go to the track and you have 2wd 13.5 novice, 2wd 13.5 expert, and 2wd open mod. all with less excitement and less than 10 cars per class.

Some will say "we need novice classes so drivers can develop" I don't buy it. I watch the novice classes, and it's the same people week in and week out, same bad habits, and same ill handling cars. Once in a while though, a novice will run in expert class, and if they has bad habits or style somebody helps them, if their car is ill handling someones coming off the stand and going to their pits and helping them set up the car.

The Novice class doesn't exist because "younger drivers need a class they can develop in" it exists because a few select seasoned drivers got butt hurt when then accidentally got taken out by a rookie, and instead of helping the rookies, they banished the rookies.

Rant Over just my .02

JK Racing

Re: just something I wanted to rant about...

Post by JK Racing »

agreed.

Beginner (novice)
Sportsman Stock
Intermediate Stock
Expert Stock
Super Stock
Sportsman Modified
Expert Modified....

Where does it end...and this is 2wd buggy offroad.

Out of those 7, most local tracks run at least 4.

Our local series (JBRL, which gets fantastic turn outs) has smashed it down to this:

A> Sportsman Stock (no chassis sponsors, 17.5 - no boost)
B> Expert Stock (17.5 - boost)
C> Modified 2wd

And, you can run in A & B or B & C, but not A & C.

Same with Truck, 2wd Short Course and 4wd (no sportsman)
1/8th & 4wd Short Course are Open only.
Rookie is any 2wd 17.5 - no boost or 27T brushed
--Joey --
Vintage A&L and Factory Works
Old School Racer & Vintage RC Car nut
JKRacingRC.com

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

PBR Allstar wrote:The Novice class doesn't exist because "younger drivers need a class they can develop in" it exists because a few select seasoned drivers got butt hurt when then accidentally got taken out by a rookie, and instead of helping the rookies, they banished the rookies.
Ford,
I hear ya. That mentality there moved racing away from me. Shut down the local Hobbytown racing, it moved American Hobby to Arizona, made it so the LHS won't even do a 'race scene'. Even made the LHS quit slot car racing since "the rookies have no place on this track".

I do this stuff to relax and have some fun but It was a sad day when toy cars became so damn serious around us :|
Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

drbelleville
Approved Member

Post by drbelleville »

I agree racing is too "broad". I stopped because it is just not fun anymore, and there is too much to keep up with. I am getting back into F1, and mainly because I can grab the cars that have been shelved since the mid 90's, put them on the track - throw in a Silver Can 540 and get to it.

Most of us have good memories, when we made do with less, and you know what those were better times. Racers had more time to help their fellow racers or Noob's. Heck we had 4wd buggies, 2wd Buggies, and Trucks (Wild Willies & Marui Big Bears) all on the track at the same times, and it was AWESOME

Progress is good, but just because a new type of chassis comes out - Does not necessarily mean it needs to become a new race class either.

Oh well, I will stick with the F1, until I can roll the 1:8 2wd IC pan out again.

Brandon G
Approved Member

Post by Brandon G »

I agree, I think thet they create too many classes for the sole purpose of making it so a select few who sandbag can always win (or at least get on the podium).

Our track in Nashville runs 10.5 2wd buggy, open 4wd, 10.5 SCT, and when there is enough, stock SCT. If a beginner belongs anywhere, it would be stock SCT. And that is where most get into the hobby now.

The nice thing about this is that we consistently have 15+ 2wd buggies every race day with 5-6 buggies per qualifier. AND after the 1st round reshuffle, everybody for the most part is racing against those of similar skill level. Need a novice class? Not when you run it like this. We saw some of the most entertaining racing the other night in the B main. Does it discourage some of the slower drivers because they have a slim chance of at least making the A main? Maybe, but then again, winning in novice class and staying there just because you are winning will not make you any better of a driver.

When I was racing in San Diego in the late 80's early 90's, when a Wednesday night race would bring out 80+ entries, then you could warrant the need.

kaiser
Approved Member

Post by kaiser »

we just have 2wd mod (open) at our local track. i like it that way as it helps you develope faster.

i do wish that we had a 17.5 class though, sometimes mod is a bit overwhelming.

bearrickster
Approved Member

Post by bearrickster »

Back in 90 when I was racing we had 2wd stock and 2wd mod and truck. we raced black foots and Rc10's together I raced a modifided lunch box with Rc10's and I won a lot. it was a blast we all had a great time. no laptops no engine dynos we ran what we bought of the shelf. if your motor had bearrings you ran in mod.
LOSI RULES!!

Bearrickster's Rides
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=16714

Halgar
Approved Member

Post by Halgar »

PBR Allstar wrote:The Novice class doesn't exist because "younger drivers need a class they can develop in" it exists because a few select seasoned drivers got butt hurt when then accidentally got taken out by a rookie, and instead of helping the rookies, they banished the rookies.

Rant Over just my .02
I have not been to the races in a very long time, even when I did go I didn't go often because for the most part, I just don't like the racers attitudes about anything. Most are hacks who think they're Gods, and as you pointed out, they berate and banish the less experienced rather than trying to help them become better drivers.

Don't kill the messenger, I'm just reporting my experiences at the tracks I've visited. :wink: 8)
klavy69 wrote:... when I give you s&#t its a loan...I want it back!

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

Halgar wrote: Most are hacks who think they're Gods, and as you pointed out, they berate and banish the less experienced rather than trying to help them become better drivers.
that's the attitudes that will kill this and the other hobbies and its sad to say its almost everywhere you go.
Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

markt311
Approved Member

Post by markt311 »

My track, for the most part is a pretty friendly place. We don't have a hobby shop on site, so people help each other out with parts if somone breaks. If someone has a car that's handling evil, or electrical problems we all pitch in usually. Just about every time I go out to race, which hasn't been much lately :( , I'm helping someone solder or checking motor temps, just to make sure some guy doesn't blow up a motor by using every bell and whistle a Tekin has :shock: .

Sure there's the occasional jerk, but I find those are the guys who were hardcore nitro racers, for some reason they like to act like idiots. But there's enough good people at my track to outweigh the bad eggs. (I'm not saying all nitro guys are jerks, but in my personal experience the really bad ones race 8th scale and act like it's pro motocross or something)

Too many classes are hurting the scene and a lot of it has to do with the way ROAR has split everything up. When I started racing you had mod or stock... maybe novice if enough showed up.
Mark

Aaaaahhhh crap! I'm about to get passed by that orange truck!

Dirtdiver
Approved Member

Post by Dirtdiver »

I agree there are way too many classes. Every time I look at getting back into the modern rc scene, I go to the track to check out the number of racers in a class. I stop back a month later and the class that was popular the previous month is only drawing a handful of cars. I believe the large number of classes is hurting the hobby.

I liked it back in the old days when you had a choice between these classes: 2wd stock (RC10, JRX2 & Ultima), 2wd stock J-Car (Frog, Fox, Hornet, Grasshopper, etc) or 2wd Open (anything 2wd with any hop-up parts and any motor).

markt311
Approved Member

Post by markt311 »

In my opinion it would be much less watered down if we just went back to basics...

Stock 17.5

mod like the old mod days, any motor you can handle. Just like when you could run a 10 turn or a 15 turn brushed they were still mod.

When I ran mod most guys were running 12-10 turn mods and I was running a 16 triple, it wasn't the fastest thing but I could control it better. And it was easier on my equipment. I did my best when I ran a stock motor in mod oddly enough, I get in trouble when I have too much motor.
Mark

Aaaaahhhh crap! I'm about to get passed by that orange truck!

vwjuice
Approved Member

Post by vwjuice »

We have the following in truck and buggy

kids (can run whatever vehicle they have as long as it's 1/10th)
novice
stock (17.5 motor limit)
mod (motor size is constantly changing)

Short course is

novice
spec (stock motor and tires must use nimh batteries)
stock (17.5)
mod
4wd

4wd classes are

mod (motor size changing constantly)
open

I won't even get into how many classes there are on the short course only nights. :lol:

Truckguy

Post by Truckguy »

Way back when I tried racing (Legend cars), I had alot of fun. I think alot of that was due to it being a spec class, with everyone running the same chassis, motors, and batteries. Even a nobody like me was able to compete fairly well. But then the cheaters showed themselves and were winning EVERY week. I never won and don't care if I ever did (I was happy if I placed anything in the top 4), but being able to compete on a level playing field and getting pushed out because someone else had a little to much competative spirt are to different things. Thats it, it was over because it wasn't fun anymore.

And then lets not forget that i ALWAYS felt like an outsider. I was welcomed, but i was never part of the family. I think being a little older and wiser now I could deal with this better and I am much better starting conversations than I was, which would help I guess. But being basically ignored even as a young 20's adult I thought was a little cruel.

And mind you this was just one class.

And I think we are our own worst enemy. We buy in to the latest and greatest and everything is always evolving because of it. So now you have to have several classes to keep everyone happy and the counts are low because it gets spread so thin. If a true spec class every came out again like the Legends, I might consider racing again, untill then, I will continue to just bash around.
I don't mind being behind the modern times, at least we had common sense back then.

arf
Approved Member

Post by arf »

In Los Angeles there remains only one purpose made on-road track at the Camarillo Road Runners club and it has a dedicated membership but the classes are out of control.

Witness: http://roadrunnersrc.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=18