Need Help With A Work-related Problem

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

LTO_Dave
Approved Member

Need Help With A Work-related Problem

Post by LTO_Dave »

I'm usually not one to list my personal problems on the InterWeb, but this time I really would like to hear what others think. I'll try to keep things short, so bare with me.

The order of positions at my workplace goes like this...boss, supervisor, me(full-time), and part-timer. The boss and part-timer both have personal vendettas with the supervisor and have been trying to get him fired for quite some time.

The part-timer and supervisor recently got into an argument, and the part-timer told the boss that he would be able to take over as the supervisor, even after lying about what happened in the argument. Well, the boss liked this idea and has been making the supervisor's life a living hell ever since. The supervisor does his job to the best of his ability and things go smoothly, but he was put in that position without much training.

The part-timer came to me and asked if I would go along with their little scheme. I agreed, but have kept neutral in the matter. The supervisor and I used to have our differences, but now we work good together and I hate to think that I will be partially responsible when he gets fired.

The part-timer knows absolutely jack about being the supervisor and is nothing more than a young, punk kid who wants the extra money to blow on things. It's not the fact that I'm second in command and have been working there for several years more than the part-timer's six months that gets to me. But he thinks it's going to be a free ride and that there's not much to being the supervisor. It's going to make things worse for everyone.

The sad part is that the boss told the part-timer that they have already cleared the firing of the supervisor with our home office/headquarters, and has set the date for September. Needless to say, this entire outfit is f'ed up. Seriously f'ed up in the head.

Who should I go to? Should I tell my supervisor what's in store? Or should I ride it out and let all the responsibilities fall on the part-timer once he becomes the supervisor and let him get a taste of his own medicine?

I know exactly what's going to happen once the part-timer takes over...I will be the one training someone in a position ahead of me to do the things that they have no idea how to do. And at the same time, I'll be getting paid less.

Any insight would be much appreciated because I'm at a loss. :(

bearrickster
Approved Member

Re: Need Help With A Work-related Problem

Post by bearrickster »

I would go to the home office get them all fired and enjoy the peace and quiet.
LOSI RULES!!

Bearrickster's Rides
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=16714

Halgar
Approved Member

Post by Halgar »

bearrickster wrote:I would go to the home office get them all fired and enjoy the peace and quiet.
I'm kinda thinking the same thing.

From your perspective, is the super doing his job competently, regardless of your feelings about him or your co-workers. Is what your boss and part-timer doing honest and ethical? Do they have a valid reason to be getting rid of the super, or are they just making stuff up because they don't like him?

If the super is doing his job competently, then the coniving to get rid of him is unjust and should be reported to the home office. If he needs to go, he needs to go, but without the garbage that your boss and PT'r are throwing at him. Regardless, it sounds like your boss and PT'r need to be reported for their behavior.

It is also possible that with a little training from the home office, the super could become more competent as well as learn to interact with his coworkers better. I don't know what you do, but most large companies have training systems in place for management personnel.
klavy69 wrote:... when I give you s&#t its a loan...I want it back!

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

I don't know what kind of business this is ( maybe Dunder Mifflin paper co? ) but the person in charge is a piss poor manager and has no idea that he is undermining his own authority and respect
with all of you. Since he is releasing info regarding another employee's future state of employment
with all or some of you means he will always do this type of thing (including to you), because he thinks, well----honestly I can't imagine what he's thinking. Anyway the current supervisior's fate is sealed unless you can save his job--and now that you have set the "I'll play along", if you flip and say never mind then you are instantly not part of the main group and subject to, dunno--maybe the same thing.

The way I see it is you have 2 choices-finish the path you started on and deal with the PT or a new supervisor as it happens ( or nothing may happen at all ), or be on the supers' side at the
unemployment hearing so he can get even with a co that is practicing some really really shady
H.R. policies.

But, just because the PT has less time, and is younger than you does not mean that he is not a
better supervisor ( and the guy could be a skull ). I have had a lot of people that are 20 years my senior working under me, and while it took a different approach to get them to follow my lead, we had a great working relationship in a short time, because I worked just as hard as they
did and treated them with respect and was consistant.

I hope it all works out, or just settles down ( which has a tendancy to happen ), but remember--
there are only 2 types of people in any workplace- you are either part of the problem, or part of the solution. :wink:

drbelleville
Approved Member

Post by drbelleville »

Id go to the home office! At least let them know whats going on, next thing you know your the next one on the choppin' block, plus I bet productivity has declined a bit due to this?

My 10.5 cents

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Post by Eau Rouge »

LTO_Dave wrote:The part-timer came to me and asked if I would go along with their little scheme. I agreed, but have kept neutral in the matter.
That's the part that scares me—they dragged you into the mess. Stay out of office politics at ALL COSTS. You put yourself in a position to get someone mad at you, for no reason, should nothing happen or everything happen.

This whole thing sounds like a complete mess, and in a time where people's lives are at stake because it is virtually impossible to find a new job once you are fired (ask me how I know), this isn't a game they are playing. If he deserves to be fired for poor performance, that's one thing, but personal disagreements are something completely different.

That's aside from the fact that you are probably more deserving of the promotion than the part-timer with only 6 months on the job.

Look out for number one. Cover your ass. But in the process, don't let someone else get screwed over if you can do something to prevent the injustice.

THUNDERSTRIKE1
Approved Member

Post by THUNDERSTRIKE1 »

MYSTERY email it or print a letter and drop it off to office.Try keep your arse out of harms way.DON

rc10johnny
Approved Member

Post by rc10johnny »

I'm With Bear and of all things I'm on HALGARS side :shock: :lol: :lol:

Halgar
Approved Member

Post by Halgar »

rc10johnny wrote:I'm With Bear and of all things I'm on HALGARS side :shock: :lol: :lol:
BBBBRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!! The temperature just dropped in Hades! :shock: And are those PIGS flying around up there??? :shock: :shock:

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :wink: :wink: 8) 8)
klavy69 wrote:... when I give you s&#t its a loan...I want it back!

rc10johnny
Approved Member

Post by rc10johnny »

Yea! Yea ! I know I almost chewed my typin finger OFF for that DISPLAY :cry:

markt311
Approved Member

Post by markt311 »

Call you home office HR department, I work for a big corporation and that kind of scenario is illegal and creates a hostile work environment. It's time to clean house!!!
Mark

Aaaaahhhh crap! I'm about to get passed by that orange truck!

clhuke64
Approved Member

Post by clhuke64 »

Remember, it's not what you know - but who you know !!!!!