Report: Vintage RC10 Florida Racing

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Ruffy
Approved Member

Report: Vintage RC10 Florida Racing

Post by Ruffy »

[Report]

JHarris, one of his sons and I tried our hand at getting a vintage class started for the 1st time this last Saturday April 17th, here in the Central Florida Area. The three of us brought our old Team Cars down to the local indoor track and registered them in the stock class with the other guys running mainly B4 buggy's. I used my entire 1997 electronics setup, but with a newly purchased brushed motor. I still haven't made any move towards the brushless setup yet. JHarris and his son ran the beautifully done-up bright purple and bright blue chassis, the cars drawing much attention from the others. The neat thing about the way that JHarris builds his cars is that he has the long front shocks (short truck ones?) on the front of his cars and with a long front tower in a way that makes the car look like it is running the standard shocks from the RC10, Like I am running. You almost forget they are the long front setup from the neat way it looks!

JHarris also brought out and ran his Pro Radiant in the mod 4WD class, to duke it out with the B44's.
All in all we had a great time, and I was very pleased that we had all the Team Cars in the top 4 positions during qualifying; we also had a Team car with the TQ after the 1st round of qualifiers, and a Team car with the TQ overall after qualifying was completed! How's that for the resilience of this vintage race-proven weapon against the much newer B4 buggy's!!!!!
In the end, the vintage Associated Team cars ran away with the wins!

We got the Pro Radiant a little more fine tuned and have a definite direction of things to do to it to get it perfect once again. That car is going to be a serious contender as it had tons of power, and handled the terrain very well; but a slipping rear diff robbed the car of a little power and drive-ability in the corners. This adjustment along with some more rigid frames and towers should launch this car again as a serious contender in 4WD once again!
Comments from some of the racers as well as one of the owners of the track, to the vintage cars racing along the newer B4's were very good, and one comment stood out as this one person mentioned "You guys may have the B4 guys wondering about bringing out their Dad's old vintage cars now as those cars you guys ran were beating up on their new cars".
Hopefully we will have a steady vintage group racing here in Florida soon, as the indoor track we go to has a fantastic racing surface and the facility is great and comfortable.
JHarris took some video footage of some things, maybe we can get some "stills" from it to post for everyone to enjoy. I should have asked my wife to take pictures, maybe next time.
:D

Here is one of the cars ran by his son, one of the most beautifully prepared and looking RC10's. Check out the wing mount!:

Here is JHarris' car, another one of the most beautiful prepped and sweet looking RC10's:

His Pro Radiant; you really need to see this car running. Makes you relive the past to see it motivate around the track:

and my car; maybe next time I will have a gold chassis RC10 prepared for me to run: (I edited this post and changed the pic to show my car AS it was run, the previous pic I had here was with the tires I arrived with for practice.)

I can't wait for you all to see another of JHarris' creations, his youngest sons RC10 is going to be spectacular as I have already seen the start of it!

Ruffy
Approved Member

Re: Vintage RC10's at our indoor track-Port St. Lucie, Florida

Post by Ruffy »

If I can get a motor plate powder coated like this chassis, I might make a car with it to run in the local vintage races.
Attachments
IMG_5411.JPG

murphy3428
Approved Member

Post by murphy3428 »

Ruffy wrote:If I can get a motor plate powder coated like this chassis, I might make a car with it to run in the local vintage races.
Or you could use a polished motor plate to match the milled area that may look great also

Ruffy
Approved Member

Post by Ruffy »

Excellent thought! :shock:
Thanks Chris, I had not considered that option, and it would be a whole lot cheaper for me to boot!
I'm gonna do it!!!
Thanks for your idea!

m_vice
Approved Member

Post by m_vice »

That is awesome Ruffy, makes me what to move down for the R/C. I can see Jeff, You plus Jeffs sons becoming a force to be reckon with.

It is so interesting when you have a purpose during racing like beating the B4s. One of the things that I use to love back in the day was the (friendly) rivalry against the Team Losi drivers and the guys from the other side of the Island.

Good luck with the vintage class.
Love the Blue chassis.

m_vice
Approved Member

Post by m_vice »

One more question, who won? :lol:

JHarris
Approved Member

Post by JHarris »

Ruffy actually tq'd second round and overall. He also took the overall win! One of my boys qualified 2nd and finished 2nd. I broke in the main, costing us the 1,2,3 sweep. The greatest part is that there were regular top dog type racers running. There was no easy road for us! Great job Ruffy on the win!!! Many eyes were opened yesterday.

Seabass
Business Member

Post by Seabass »

That is a great story Ruffy. I wish I lived closer because I would love to race with you guys. I am not sure I would be able to add much to the winning effort though other than slowing down the rest of the field.

Jake

mikea96

Post by mikea96 »

Wow great looking cars. Im doing a runner that i wanna go race at my local track which is Tacoma RC raceway owned by Scott Brown. I used to race with him along time ago before he went to Losi Then Associated. I cant wait to see how i can keep up with all the current buggies.

Ruffy
Approved Member

Re: Report: Vintage RC10's racing at our indoor track

Post by Ruffy »

You should have seen JHarris' and his son running though, they were just as fast . His son, running the purple car, was very fast and would catch right up to me forcing me to drive even smarter making for some fun racing action.
We were just all happy, as the main goal was to try and get the cars to be competitive against the other guys all running the B4's with state of the art stuff. They even asked us if we wanted to run our own "vintage" class, or try and run with the other guys, and we just opted to run with them. We honestly had no idea how our cars would perform when running head to head against the newer cars, with the new radios and electronic equipment.

I think I will need to eventually move away from the old axle 2.0 rear wheel/tires I am running and go to the new 2.2 as this allows much more surface contact (bigger flatter footprint). This traction advantage could easily be seen from the JHarris cars.

m_vice
Approved Member

Post by m_vice »

Very exiting stuff guys.
Ruffy you will love the 2.2 wheels; use your B2 or B3 wheels and CVDs.

fastang
Approved Member

Post by fastang »

:lol: Great, the price of vintage parts are going to go up even more :wink:

Great job guys! I havn't seen a recent model I liked in years! Awsome to see that these old cars can still kick A$$.

Mike

flipwils11
Approved Member

Post by flipwils11 »

Great report! That's great to hear that your cars were not only competitive, but placed so highly! Not having been in the RC world for so many years, what's so intimidating about B4 car vs an updated RC10 with the right wheels, tires, electronics, and long travel suspension?

I would like to see the videos!

JHarris
Approved Member

Post by JHarris »

As good as the RC10's drive, they don't drive quite as good as a B4. With the narrower chassis and the longer suspension arms, the B4 absorbs the bumps and occasional poor attitude of the car much better. The RC10 requires you to actually drive the car, unlike the modern stuff which just about drives itself.

I have video but can't figure out how to change the format. Maybe once I figure that out I can get it posted.

Bormac
Approved Member

Post by Bormac »

This is awesome guys! I love taking old cars to the race track and even if they cant quite keep up with the modern cars it certainly is an eye opener for the modern day drivers.
Im going to send over my belt conversion for the Boost which Ive been working on for you guys to have a play with.
-Jason.

Still known as- bormac

My collection-http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom.asp?id=10980