My Gift to a great mate on his 40th Birthday. Mugen Bulldog

The place for all things Mugen.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

RETRO R/C
Approved Member

My Gift to a great mate on his 40th Birthday. Mugen Bulldog

Post by RETRO R/C »

Hi Guys,

Just thought I would post up some pics of a project I finsished off last weekend. There is a bit of a story to this one - so please be patient!!

Way back in the 80's Michael Geddes (my now great mate), was national champion and a very, very quick driver. We lived in different parts of the country - however we were fierce competitors on the track when we met at major race meetings. Whilst we were never what you would call good friends - Michael and I came from the same "school" of driving and had a healthy respect for eachother. We always drove the wheels off our cars - but not at the expense of other competitors. What I mean by this is that we always fought hard - but NOT dirty. Michael won more often than not - as he truly was one of our countries best drivers (Still is actually). Michael stopped racing in the early 90's and we pretty much lost touch as I went to on road in 96. Fast forward to about 2 years or so ago. I was spectating at a major off road meeting and was getting seriously inspired by watching the modern buggies run. This guy walks up to me and say hows it going Darryn? I looked - knew the face - but could not remember.....well - it was Michael.

Over the last year and half or so we have become the best of mates - I visit and stay with him and his family nearly every month to race modern buggies (Off road bug bit again big time). Last year I BORROWED his 2wd buggy to take 2nd place in Superstock at our National Championships! I was always rabbiting on about my vintage stuff, and I even helped him find and restore his nationals JRX2 from the late 80's. He will be running it at a huge vintage festival I have been organising next weekend. Anywaaaaaayyyyyyyyy............

Over the last 6 moths Mick had been talking about his very first car - the Mugen Bulldog, and how much he loved it back then. As I have afew of them (not awesome condition - but restorable), I thought - what the hell - its his 40th B'day soon - WHY NOT.

What you see here is a car that started as a tonne of parts from various cars, restored, polished and coersed back into life. I spent many hours polishing, cleaning and getting the car to look as good as possible. All that effort was completely worth it when Michael opened his present last weekend. He thought it was a set of lowering springs for his full sized car....it wasnt that when he opened the box though! ;)

I will let the pics tell the story.....

Thanks for letting me share:

Cheers

Darryn
TO KNOW WHERE YOU ARE GOING - YOU HAVE TO KNOW WHERE YOU HAVE BEEN
VENOM International | Factory Pilot - Team SCHUMACHER UK | J-Concepts USA | B-Fast Performance USA | Bugle Boy Racing | MAX Racing Products International

RedScampi
Approved Member

Re: My Gift to a great mate on his 40th Birthday. Mugen Bulldog

Post by RedScampi »

Wow Darryn! What a great story and a great gift! Thanks for sharing with us.
Gary

railey72
Approved Member

Post by railey72 »

Darryn, Beautiful restore project. My second RC was a Mugen Bulldog II and I have liked these buggies ever since. Very kind gesture to you friend, I am sure he really appreciated the hard work that went into this project.

Bormac
Approved Member

Post by Bormac »

Great stuff Daz. Mick is a realy good guy and will no doubt not just cherish the car you've built him but also the thought that went into it also.

You know its my 40th Birthday in another 4 years and I'd like to pretend that my first ever car was an AYK Viper......hint-hint. :wink:

:D :mrgreen: :D :mrgreen: :D

-Jason.

Still known as- bormac

My collection-http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom.asp?id=10980

civilguy
Approved Member

Post by civilguy »

bormac wrote:You know its my 40th Birthday in another 4 years and I'd like to pretend that my first ever car was an AYK Viper......hint-hint. :wink:
I was going to say my first rc was a Tamiya Bruiser and my birthday is in October. :wink:

Very, very nice gesture. The thought and time put into that gift will make it one to remember. :D
The preceding contained opinions, beliefs and thoughts that all may not agree with. No offense was intended at any point. Carry on.
Jeff

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

my 40th birthday is still a few years away and my first was a boomerang, but I'll gladly take an optima pro next month :mrgreen:

thanks for the build pictures darryn

RETRO R/C
Approved Member

Post by RETRO R/C »

Thanks Guys,

Yep - he is well stoked with the car. Surprisingly to me, he has said it will never be raced - he wants it for the shelf! That makes me really feel proud of what I did because Mick is one of those guys that is not really all that sentimental towards race cars. I have now however created a monster and we are working on a "Wonder Bulldog" project that should take the car to the next level as far as reliability and performance go. He now is on the hunt for a good donor car - I have parts, there are some pretty cool ideas we are toying with. This time next year (at the latest) we want to have the much modded cars on the track.

Its my 40th in November - but I doubt I will be getting car stuff!!

As for the rest of you guys - I can send you pictures of your first cars!! :lol: :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :wink: :wink:

Thabnks for the nice comments guys. I have sent Mick the link.

Much appreciated.

Cheers

Darryn
VENOM International | Factory Pilot - Team SCHUMACHER UK | J-Concepts USA | B-Fast Performance USA | Bugle Boy Racing | MAX Racing Products International

vintage racer
Approved Member

Post by vintage racer »

You really are a top bloke Darryn but you could have fitted some new tires for him :lol:

RETRO R/C
Approved Member

Post by RETRO R/C »

James - I dont even have a new set of tires for my new built - Need new wheels and Tires to finish of my own!!

Cheers

Darryn

dldiaz

Post by dldiaz »

Wonderful story and excellent build.

I also had a Bulldog BITD, but, as a kid, I never could get it to run very well... :?

I have several now - one mostly stock runner, one new-built (without wheels/tires @#!), and enough parts for a couple more...

I have been looking for new (or even nice) wheels/tires for the last few years... It's liking looking for hens' teeth...
-dldiaz

Bormac
Approved Member

Post by Bormac »

I had a sweet set of wheels and tyres and they looked like new. Didnt like them and had a hard time passing them on but someone got a good bargain.
-Jason.

Still known as- bormac

My collection-http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom.asp?id=10980

vintage racer
Approved Member

Post by vintage racer »

Just kidding Darryn,thats a real nice gesture giving a gift like that.Good on you man.He must be a great mate.
RETRO R/C wrote:James - I dont even have a new set of tires for my new built - Need new wheels and Tires to finish of my own!!

Cheers

Darryn

RETRO R/C
Approved Member

Post by RETRO R/C »

dldiaz wrote:Wonderful story and excellent build.

I also had a Bulldog BITD, but, as a kid, I never could get it to run very well... :?

I have several now - one mostly stock runner, one new-built (without wheels/tires @#!), and enough parts for a couple more...

I have been looking for new (or even nice) wheels/tires for the last few years... It's liking looking for hens' teeth...
Thanks Dldiaz,

Yeah - love the Bulldog as well, one VERY under-rated car for sure. I have a couple of very modified ones, and 1 or two standard "projects".

I have a friend I am trading with that has a pair of new tires - means I need 4 wheels and 1 more pair of tires - it has certainly been a tough job finding them. I only want them NIB though - as the car will be totally new built - that makes it even harder!

James - yep - he is a great mate. Was kinda strange at first as we were such "rivals" back then, (not in a bad way - just never close friends), over the last couple of years we have spent alot of time together - racing, family get togethers etc. His family always have me stay with them when I go to Sydney, never ask for anything at all. They even asked me to be godfather of their beautiful new baby girl Alexis.....life throws many things at you - however genuine friends are often very hard to come by. This gift is just a small token of my appreciation for the mateship and time we have spent together. Giving something that is important to me was the only way I could think of to show him what his friendship meant to me......sorry - sounds a bit "soppy" - but true.

Thanks for the comments guys,

Cheers

Darryn

Prince Steve
Approved Member

Post by Prince Steve »

This is a great story and gesture. This is what makes it worth while to see a great friend appreciate your efforts. Cheers..
AKA ( settin03 R/C hobbies and more ) on Ebay

Since being on this site I have found that I have too many parts and R/C Models. Please help me get rid of them. ;-)

uzzi
Approved Member

Post by uzzi »

Well done Darren....wonderful gesture to an old foe. I remember watching the Sydney 1989 world titles video and seeing the Michael Geddes interview. Hope it was not you 'feeling' him up halfway through that interview. :lol: