Who here has been into RC for a while but never raced?

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

fakiee
Approved Member

Who here has been into RC for a while but never raced?

Post by fakiee »

---

Halgar
Approved Member

Re: Who here has been into RC for a while but never raced?

Post by Halgar »

I wouldn't call my trucks "thoroughbreds" by any means. While I can't say I've NEVER raced, you also can't call the two or three heats I've run "races" in since it was my stocker against pretty well modified machines and experienced racers. I'm not competitive and I'm not into speed, so I find racing generally quite boring. On occasion it is fun to watch, however.
klavy69 wrote:... when I give you s&#t its a loan...I want it back!

fakiee
Approved Member

Post by fakiee »

Yeah, I think that's a good point. I don't see myself buying the latest factory B4 and racing to win - I like the enjoyment factor not the competitiveness. However I think it would be great fun to run a load of lunch boxes or same class RCs with some friends round a track, bashing with a cause I guess?

besty22
Approved Member

Post by besty22 »

I too have been into RC for around 20 years but only ever raced my mates at the bmx track (rarely)
I think it would be great to get some old cars together for a bit of fun racing.
I never got into racing as there was nowhere nearby to race and I couldn't afford all the mods.
I have been to maitland RC track to watch once but thats all.
Respect - Hard Earned but Easily Lost

purpletimbo
Approved Member

Post by purpletimbo »

I never raced anything, guess I am not competitive, I enjoy collecting owning and restoring them, and rarity value as well, although now it's over 200, or was, I am thinning down a lot, just got to decide what to keep. I have been along to local indoor buggy club, some great guys (northy!), but a lot of way too serious miserable looking ones as well, heck, if it's not fun, don't do it!

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

Post by Incredible_Serious »

purpletimbo wrote:I never raced anything, guess I am not competitive, I enjoy collecting owning and restoring them...
You and me both bud..... I am 30-something (high side, won't say exactly as it'll be wrong next week), and I have raced exactly TWICE. In 2007 at the local 2 hour Vintage Enduro.... and in 2008 at the local 4 hour Vintage Enduro.... and while it would benefit me gheaps for race craft to race some more, I'm not that serious, and Sunday mornings are for hangovers....

purpletimbo wrote:...but a lot of way too serious miserable looking ones as well, heck, if it's not fun, don't do it!
They would be the ones yelling at the marshalls, yes??? I know EXACTLY what you mean.... have seen some like this in my short (2 race meets!) racing time..... and it makes it perfectly clear why I can't EVER take it too seriously.... besides, I'm in it for the fun, with my restored broken down old jalopys.....

Alex
Osiris is the key.

"The world looks so much better through beer goggles... except Farmer in his underwear" - Ken

Look out for Todd K. - he's a convicted serial killer!!!

civilguy
Approved Member

Post by civilguy »

I have raced, but just for some clarification when I did race in the 80s it was a lot different than it is now. Racing back then had more to do with finishing the race in one piece--- now with the modern plastic they run, everyone is just smash and run. There was also the element of getting 4 minutes out of a battery, so a crash or two meant no finish for you. Races (at least for me locally) were more about being smooth and racing clean (watch the video in the Vintage Nats thread)... and having a good time. I still have that philosophy (most of the time :oops: ) when I race and I am lucky to have a local club track that promotes family racing and a good time above all.

Good luck and happy running-- on or off the track! :D
The preceding contained opinions, beliefs and thoughts that all may not agree with. No offense was intended at any point. Carry on.
Jeff

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

yeah, pretty much never raced in any formal events. I had a small track in my backyard, so we'd get 4 or 5 cars going at once, but we mosty bashed. I used my cars for about 6yrs, then they sat till last year, which is (yikes!) 16 yrs later, man I am getting old. Now I'm putting them back into presentable form.

tecnica2001
Approved Member

Post by tecnica2001 »

Hey Jeff,

Is there a video in the Vintage Nats thread?? from the 08 vonats?? where?? where??
Life is like a box of chocolate, you never know what R/C car you're gonna get next!!!

civilguy
Approved Member

Post by civilguy »

I'm sorry- I meant the video of the new track for the type of layout-- smooth and technical (not technica ;) ).... no 40 foot triples and whoop sections made from pvc pipe like all the tracks seem to have now.
Did you get a video of last year's Nats? They did have them available.... even though 4wd main wasn't on there. :cry:
The preceding contained opinions, beliefs and thoughts that all may not agree with. No offense was intended at any point. Carry on.
Jeff

vintage AE
Approved Member

Post by vintage AE »

this should be a fun race more than anything for me. It's indoors, simple track a half a dozen guys in a basement of a legion...this race event has been going on for over 20years every friday night. The rc car racing is relatively small here and I am going to have to drive far to get to any off road events, but I'm sure I will make a good effort to show up.

I hope to become more involved in the local racing scene, but if not, I will still have tones of fun playing around

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

not me I'm happy to say.
While it hasn't been a regular thing for the last 10years I think that it's starting to drive in a club within 6 months after I got my first buggy that got me really hooked.

tony433

Post by tony433 »

Hey guys this sounds just like me,I've raced once in about 20-25 years of being in the hobby, nothing like just tearing it up and having a good time!!

wts873
Approved Member

Post by wts873 »

never raced before.. So I guess I can say Im undefeated. 8). I would love to race now, but my area is only into crawlers. I might have to get a crawler so I can turn them on to the wonderful world of vintage RC. :D

Bormac
Approved Member

Post by Bormac »

You guys are embarasing. :mrgreen: Seriously though, I loved racing back in the mid-late 80's. You dont have to be that serious about it but if you're not atleast setting your vintage racer down on a race track now and then then whats the point? Sure I like shelfers, but these cars were never meant to be static kits. I know there's a value to consider so I have cars i like to shelf and others i LOVE to race. I dont care if im first or last but i dont like seeing my cars break down. There's nothing better than driving these old gems at full noise round a race track and even taking on some of the new cars too. :mrgreen:
-Jason.

Still known as- bormac

My collection-http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom.asp?id=10980