Thinking about dyno's for brushed motors

Brushed, nicad, radios, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Dadio
Approved Member

Re: Thinking about dyno's for brushed motors

Post by Dadio »

Its a bit of the history of our hobby I never got involved in back in the day but now I can , I guess that's kind of cool for me and everyone else , we'll probably only get results that are relative to our own testing but its still fun !
If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

Dadio wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:38 pm Its a bit of the history of our hobby I never got involved in back in the day but now I can , I guess that's kind of cool for me and everyone else , we'll probably only get results that are relative to our own testing but its still fun !
I've spent a lot more, for a lot less. On top of that, I can use the tachometer and speed control for other things.
Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

R6cowboy wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:26 pm Nice. I'd have to source a computer power supply somewhere. Will see if I can come up with one and look into it. I'm guessing there's probably not much cost, if any, if you already have a computer power supply...?
Here are the directions I used:

https://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/blog/convert-atx-psu-to-bench-supply.html

I only did 12 volt at the time. In hindsight, I wish that I'd also made 3.3 and 5 volt pigtails.

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

This is where I'm headed , wire management still needs work and the old battery was going flat , the push on sensor disk stayed put perfectly .
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

matt1ptkn
Approved Member

Post by matt1ptkn »

How creatively cool! I like it!
Matt

Just a part of my RC collection: Matt1ptkn's Toys

"I wish there was a way to tell you're in the good old days, before you've actually left them."

coxbros1

Post by coxbros1 »

Awesome setup!
Tap pic for clarity: Derek

R6cowboy

Post by R6cowboy »

Figured this would be as good of a place to post as any. So I did a quick test on the brushed motors I've collected over the past couple months. Applied a 2s lipo on storage charge to the motors. Most ran great, but a few not so much. I need to do this to all motors as soon as they arrive at the front door from now on. Here's a couple that didn't fair too well and failed the quick initial test.

The endbell of the Trinity Topaz immediately let out a puff of smoke and didn't spin when I applied the battery to it. What would cause that, and is there any likely chance saving the motor?

The Reedy Ultra Mr. Series did absolutely nothing when applying the battery to it. But the output shaft turns freely, smooth and feels nice when turning it by hand. What could cause that? My first assumption was one of the brushes not contacting the comm, but both brushes move freely in the hoods. I'll be taking these apart for inspection sometime soon.

The stock Twisters (silver can w/ red label) squealed like a banshee but did spin nonetheless. I'll disassemble to inspect and find out if I can get it in good working order.
-Jerry-

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

R6cowboy wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:51 pm Figured this would be as good of a place to post as any. So I did a quick test on the brushed motors I've collected over the past couple months. Applied a 2s lipo on storage charge to the motors. Most ran great, but a few not so much. I need to do this to all motors as soon as they arrive at the front door from now on. Here's a couple that didn't fair too well and failed the quick initial test.

The endbell of the Trinity Topaz immediately let out a puff of smoke and didn't spin when I applied the battery to it. What would cause that, and is there any likely chance saving the motor?

The Reedy Ultra Mr. Series did absolutely nothing when applying the battery to it. But the output shaft turns freely, smooth and feels nice when turning it by hand. What could cause that? My first assumption was one of the brushes not contacting the comm, but both brushes move freely in the hoods. I'll be taking these apart for inspection sometime soon.

The stock Twisters (silver can w/ red label) squealed like a banshee but did spin nonetheless. I'll disassemble to inspect and find out if I can get it in good working order.
Have you got a basic multi meter , something that can check circuit continuity ?

R6cowboy

Post by R6cowboy »

Indeed I do. Use the multimeter on the Reedy Ultra to see if it comes up with a reading? I'll try that this evening.
-Jerry-

R6cowboy

Post by R6cowboy »

And holy moses did the mystery Ruby Racing motor sounded like it had some crazy high rpm compared to most of them.

This guy, can't find a single thing online about this motor.
Attachments
Resized_20210303_153024_7384.jpeg
-Jerry-

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

R6cowboy wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:38 pm And holy moses did the mystery Ruby Racing motor sounded like it had some crazy high rpm compared to most of them.

This guy, can't find a single thing online about this motor.
We'll, the brush holders definitely look like Trinity.

They are the same design as those of the P2K, Revenge of the Monster, and Green Machine 3. I also have a Speed Gems Pro that uses the same type.

Open it up and see if anything stands out. It might have information written on the armature.

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

This thread is very inspiring. In the unloaded condition, changes from want to new brushes could be observed, timing adjustments, bearing maintenance, etc. Now how to construct a load cell.... hmmm.
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

With some commercial units they used a second motor as a load and could measure its generated current .

R6cowboy

Post by R6cowboy »

coxbros1 wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:00 pm If u have a 12v power supply or 3s battery this item will work perfect to adjust precise voltage to the motor and voltmeter

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-24V-48V-2000W-10-50V-40A-DC-Brush-Motor-Speed-Control-PWM-HHO-RC-Controller-/111851538617?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292
Well, after waiting two weeks for this to arrive and watching the tracking number not update once, I received a refund. Ordered another one elsewhere via amazon and should be here tomorrow.
-Jerry-

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

R6cowboy wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:24 pm
coxbros1 wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:00 pm If u have a 12v power supply or 3s battery this item will work perfect to adjust precise voltage to the motor and voltmeter

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-24V-48V-2000W-10-50V-40A-DC-Brush-Motor-Speed-Control-PWM-HHO-RC-Controller-/111851538617?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292
Well, after waiting two weeks for this to arrive and watching the tracking number not update once, I received a refund. Ordered another one elsewhere via amazon and should be here tomorrow.
I ordered one as well. It took a while but the tracking did finally update. Says that it has been sitting in Atlanta for the last few days.

I hate it when my packages go through Atlanta or Boca Raton, damn things take forever.