LOSI "Multiple Builds". Builds finally started Dec 2009!

The place for all things Losi.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

m_vice
Approved Member

Re: LOSI "Multiple Builds". Builds finally started Dec 2009!

Post by m_vice »

RETRO R/C wrote: Just as a small comment/question to some of you, I have received an email or two having a bit of a go at me for running this thread - thinking that "Ï am all that" etc etc. I have received this sort of email/comment before on other boards, but wasnt expecting it here. Perhaps these people arent even member here, but it is still a little dissapointing to say the least. Please be assured that I am not doing this to "boast" about what I have, it is to share the passion for what I have. If I get oever enthusiastic or sound like a tool - PM me and I will change or try and word things differently.

Many thanks toall of you others who have appreciated/commented on the thread so far.

Cheers

Darryn
F them, keep the pics coming, I love them as i am sure most of the members love them. It is awesome you share the experience of building and at the same time you are teaching a lot of people about the Losis of back then.
F = Forget.

RETRO R/C
Approved Member

Post by RETRO R/C »

Hi Guys,

Thanks heaps for the comments, I honestly wasnt trying to "get attention" at all, just that I have had this kind of mail before from other forums. I guess there are always going to be tossers around ready to shoot you down at any given chance. I honestly really do love this hobby, and if my passion and writings get to anyone - please let me know - constructively.

Now that that is out of the way, I can again bring this thread back to what it should be about - the cars!! :mrgreen:

It is interesting that you mention the thrust race for the diff - I did indeed use the "crushable" cage in the gearbox for the JRX2....only by way of the fact that it weas an old parts bag! I wasnt going to get to "pedantic" about using the right greases (as I already seem to have developed an OCD for these things anyway over the years of collecting!), however I still do have some of that purple grease somewhere in a toolbox!

Mr Ed - mate - this is definately a SWB chassis intended for the car - however I am not to familiar with the super early trucks. I only ever ran the lwb.

Highway racer - alloy spacers? Not sure where you mean?

Really enjoying the build still, I wont let a few tossers spoil my fun, especially now that I know the majority want to see it.

Cheers

Darryn
TO KNOW WHERE YOU ARE GOING - YOU HAVE TO KNOW WHERE YOU HAVE BEEN
VENOM International | Factory Pilot - Team SCHUMACHER UK | J-Concepts USA | B-Fast Performance USA | Bugle Boy Racing | MAX Racing Products International

DHC6
Approved Member

Post by DHC6 »

R U serious... Any way tellem to get a life. I thought that was the point of forums like this. A place that we can share our experiences, trade stories, learn things, teach things, and best of all we get to see what every one has! I think it's cool that you are doing such a detailed thread about your builds. I am planing on doing a restore on a 5 link and possibly a XX over the winter (have got most of the parts so far, will be going though the inventory after the holidays are over), so all these threads with all these great photos are a big help to me. So keep them coming, and don't be shy.
Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return - Leonardo da Vinci

aconsola
Approved Member

Post by aconsola »

RETRO R/C wrote:Hi Guys,
Cheers

Darryn
the early bearing spacers for the outdrives were aluminum as seen on the left.

mrlexan
Approved Member

Post by mrlexan »

RETRO R/C wrote:Hi Guys,
Cheers

Darryn
Rookie! :mrgreen:
I am not here cause I am playing photographer and on my mountain bike.
www.gojammedia.com

RETRO R/C
Approved Member

Post by RETRO R/C »

Ahhh - LOL - For some reason I thought Highwayracer meant the spacers in between the bearings in the rear hub. I kept on thinking - "jeeez - I am getting old - I thought that they didnt do that mod till much later - XX or SE".........now I can see what you meant Highway!! Sorry for the confusion - I should read things a little more closely at 3am in the morning - got a serious case of "Losi goggles" on! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I dont have the alloy spacers for the outdrives - however I know I have them in a pack somewhere! It must have been the really early kits, as I would imagine that they would have cost a hell of a lot more to produce.

Havent done much more building tonight - I have been tidying up and getting other projects lined up. If you reckon this thread is nuts - wait till I start my RC10 one!! :wink:

I am really excited about this weekend though, on Sunday night I have a friend coming over with his family to stay for a few days. Its a pretty cool story - hope you dont mind me telling it - if you get bored easy - switch threads now..............

Back in the mid to late 80's, I had a fierce rivalry between myself and a guy by the name of Michael Geddes. We lived in different states and always really had some serious battles at the top of the stock class scene here in Australia. Whilst we could never be described as "bestest buddies", we always got along really well and respected eachother on the race track. As anyone who knows what stock class racing was like back in the 80's, it was tough and sometimes very "dirty" driving that won races. Both myself amnd Michael were very much about going fast - and we both knew that taking eachother out would potentially wreck our days. We always finished withing metres of eachother, but never took eachother out. Sadly for me - Michael was in front more often than not! At the end of the 80's we did not see eachother much at all - as we did not race as much anymore - girlfiends, cars - you know the story. In fact - Michael gave up completely for many years.

Fast forward to about 18 months ago, I am at a meeting here in my state, helping guys with tuning of their cars etc, and who should walk up to me with his familiar "howzit goin mate"? I did not know who the hell he was at first, then after talking for a bit - I realised...it had been over 18 years since we had seen eachother. We started chatting about the old days, he mentioned that he had been back running Off road again for a few years. I was surprised because I hadnt seen his name in the magazines at all - then he told me he had changed his surname!! Well, I had just started to get hooked on off road racing again, and we agreeed to keep in touch and start racing more together. Long story short - I have been staying at their place for the weekends at least once or twice a month. I had even gotten him to run some vintage races with his old RC10, which he sold because he always hated the car and didnt want to run anything but a Losi - as he was a sponsored driver back then and had alot of success with them. Knowing that he loved the Losi (in particular the orignial 5 link), I said I would happily build him one to race. We have both been doing alot of racing and Michael had been focusing on that. So Michael pretty much forgot about vintage and focused on modern.

This is where the story gets very cool! I was going through the Australian "for sale" section of R/C Tech a few weeks ago, and I noticed something very familiar for sale by James (vintageracer here on 10 talk). I could not beleive my eyes - James was selling Michaels 1988 5 link JRX2. Everything was still there - the "Twister" decals and all the sponsor logo's etc - exactly as I remembered the car myself. I nearly fell over with excitement and immediately rang James. I was devastated when he told me he had sold it just the day before to someone in Sydney! I told James the story and he was dissapointed for me as well. Unbeleivably - James had sold the car to someone that I know in the vintage scene - Steve. I was going to surprise Michael and get the car from James - but now it was a different story altogether.

I just had to let Michael know what I had found. I rang him and pointed him to the for sale thread. For what seemed like at least a minute - there was dead silence on the other end of the phone, then there was a comment - "OH MY GOD".... I just knew I had to get it - because I had not heard Michael get so enthused over a vintage car before. This is where the hard part came. I know that if I had just purchased a car that wanted, I sure would not be willing to sell it before I even got it! I thought I would give it a try though. I spoke to Steve and told him about the history of the car and how Michael had used the car only once - for the 1987 Australian National Titles. I said that Michael would really love the car - but that I understood if he wanted to keep it. Unbeleiveably, Steve was moved by my ramblings and agreed to sell the car for exactly what he paid for it! Just last weekned we all met up a the J Concepts Clash here in Sydney at the St Ives track. Steve brought out the JRX and the car is truly in awesome condition. We chatted for while about how cool it was and how it all fell into place. Funds were exchanged and everyone was happy.

Isnt it great when true enthusiasts for this hobby help eachother out? Steve did not have to give up this car, he could have kept it or made some money out of the deal, instead he recognised the significance of the car and what it meant to Michael.... Truly great stuff.

Any way - Michael is coming up to stay on Sunday night for a few nights with is family. We are going to go through the car, I am going to hook him up with some spares and we are going to have a great time talking about how fast we were back in the day, how aweseom the cars were - you know the drill. The icing on the cake for me is that Michael and his wife have asked me to be godfather to their new baby girl.

I will be sure to post some pics of Michaels JRX - and the spares package etc that will be his Christmas present.

Damn - dont you just love this hobby.

cheers

Darryn
VENOM International | Factory Pilot - Team SCHUMACHER UK | J-Concepts USA | B-Fast Performance USA | Bugle Boy Racing | MAX Racing Products International

junkman
Approved Member

Post by junkman »

awesome story, and awesome builds. Ignore the hate mail, I'm sure it is sparked from jealousy. It does surprise me it would come from this board. The pics and builds are informative, and are appreciated. I know it is not you intention to boast, but with a stash like you have I'd def say you have some bragging rights. (if you wanted to do so!)

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

RETRO R/C wrote:wait till I start my RC10 one!!
something you'll never see typed by mrlexan. :P :mrgreen:

RETRO R/C
Approved Member

Post by RETRO R/C »

scr8p wrote:
ROTFL

Trouble for most of you with my builds of the RC10's though is that most of them are/will be highly modified/tricked up. Not many standard cars to be build for the "stock" officianados.

I have turned the place upside down looking for those alloy spacers - THANKS ALOT you buggers - I am now going totally nuts!! :wink: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: At least with the plastic spacers the build is still period correct - just not totally "first run" early production.

Cheers

Darryn

mrlexan
Approved Member

Post by mrlexan »

scr8p wrote:
:cry: :cry:
I am not here cause I am playing photographer and on my mountain bike.
www.gojammedia.com

RETRO R/C
Approved Member

Post by RETRO R/C »

Hi guys,

Just a really quick update, here are some Pics of Michaels car that he raced back at the Australian National Titles back in 1988 that I mentioned in the previous posts. I will do some body öff" detail pics tomorrow - as we are going to do a bit of work on it. It is in sensational condition, it has obviously been lovingly restored at some stage. Michael did say though that he only ran the car at the nationals and then was supplied with a new car - the Pro....so it never had much use on it!

Again - will take some more body off pics tomorrow. I gave a selection of parts to Michael to keep the old girl running. In trade he gave me the set of alloy outdrive spacers that I cant find that he had on the car!! LOL - funny how things work out isnt it - Karma again!! LOL

Some of you will notice that Mick has done an old school trick with the tires that we used to do (and the practice is still very much alove today). The tires are in fact current 2.2 inch Losi X3000's which have been carefully cut in half, had a section of material removed and then glued back together with high quality super glue to fit on the old school 2 inch rim. This really does look excellent - something I wish I had of started doing sooner - as the "look" of the car is still period correct - yet you get all the advantages of running modern rubber.

I will be doing this for as many of my rides as possible now too, as it really does look awesome.

Cheers for now

Darrryn

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

As Mr. Ed said, that chassis might be a truck chassis, or an early one designed to use a front bumper that would have countersinks, so there would be no need on the chassis.

oh, and I have some purple losi grease, that is very old. It's now a lovely shade of brown! hahhahhah

nice builds!

aconsola
Approved Member

Post by aconsola »

The non countersunk chassis is definitely a mistake. Both the truck front bumper/skid and pro bottom mount bumper have dimples molded in that should seat in the countersinks.

There are some aftermarket bumpers without the dimples which you could use, JG and RPM each made a couple flavors.

RETRO R/C
Approved Member

Post by RETRO R/C »

Sitting down and working on the front suspension we started chatting about the old days and the cars that we ran. We realised that this was in fact Michaels FIRST 2 wd off road race car. We also realised that it was the 1988 Nationals - not the 87!! :lol: :lol: The shocks seem to even have the same oil in them - nice brown sludge inside!!!

Will post up some pics tonight - great fun!

Cheers

Darryn

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

Hey - great story about Michael!! Its funny how these rivarys turn into great friendships, i'm still good friends with a guy I used to have a bitter rivalry with when I was school age (we went to the same school too) Funnily enough his choice of weapon was a Jrx2 aswell (mine was either a TopCat/Cougar or a Mardave) A few years ago he started up racing again & the battle commeced like it had never stopped. Racing is never better than when you have a close race with someone who you can trust won't just take you out - sure, we have the odd friendly nudge but we never seem to push each other off - ts like we instinctively know where each other will be 8)

Michael's Jrx2 does look in great condition - I notice the rear motor plate is plain. My Jrx2 has 'Jrx2' stamped into, the Pro has 'Team Losi Performance' but I also have a new spare that is plain.... was this an early part do you think?

Look forward to seeing some body-off shots :wink: Sometimes despite how nice it is to be able to build up a 'new' vintage car - its the used ones that can tell a story that are the real treasures