Resurrecting my goldpan

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

juicedcoupe

Re: Resurrecting my goldpan

Post by juicedcoupe »

AVguy wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:10 pm Also, what does the wire connecting the esc to the motor do?
Assuming that you are referring to the sensor wire (small loom wire), it provides feedback from the motor to the esc. Compared to sensorless setups, they provide smoother and more accurate control.
Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.

AVguy
Approved Member

Post by AVguy »

juicedcoupe wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:28 pm
AVguy wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:10 pm Also, what does the wire connecting the esc to the motor do?
Assuming that you are referring to the sensor wire (small loom wire), it provides feedback from the motor to the esc. Compared to sensorless setups, they provide smoother and more accurate control.

Ok, good to know. I thought maybe there was something else I needed to set up with the esc or radio. Sounds like it’s plug and play.
When will then be now?
Soon.

LeMonsRacer

Post by LeMonsRacer »

Good Evening..
I am following your progress here as I am in the process of doing the exact same thing...resurrecting my old ride.
The pictures you posted looked exactly like mine! It had been sitting in boxes in the garage for the last 30 years.
Don't have the original box,but I think most of the pieces are still there.Is there a reason you replaced the transmission? Other than to make it faster?I am merely going to make mine roll again,and then try to get a new body for it.(the original body was lost years ago)
I drive a racecar IRL,and I was thinking I could have a 1/10 scale version of it to show off at the track.....

AVguy
Approved Member

Post by AVguy »

LeMonsRacer wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:51 pm Good Evening..
I am following your progress here as I am in the process of doing the exact same thing...resurrecting my old ride.
The pictures you posted looked exactly like mine! It had been sitting in boxes in the garage for the last 30 years.
Don't have the original box,but I think most of the pieces are still there.Is there a reason you replaced the transmission? Other than to make it faster?I am merely going to make mine roll again,and then try to get a new body for it.(the original body was lost years ago)
I drive a racecar IRL,and I was thinking I could have a 1/10 scale version of it to show off at the track.....

Hi, I replaced the transmission because I wanted to convert it to a mid motor design. In order to do that I had to find a donor three gear stealth transmission. My old six gear transmission wouldn’t work. I did that because I wanted to modernize my old car not just rebuild it stock.
I also wanted to make it faster but it sounds like the old six gear transmission can handle the power of some of the newer motors and batteries. If you look back on this thread you will find a post about it. Some other guys on this forum can answer that question much better than I can.

Btw, it’s awesome that you drive race cars.
When will then be now?
Soon.

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

The six gear trans can actually be flipped to work mid motor quite easily. You do need to cut the motor plate to make it flat however.

AVguy
Approved Member

Post by AVguy »

After contacting AE support, I figured out that my esc, Reedy 510r, does not come programmed for reverse. Luckily, I had ordered it with the programmer box so I was able to go in and program it for reverse. Yay!
I did notice that reverse didn’t work as I had expected. I would go forward, then break, then try reverse and it wouldn’t work. The car would come to a complete stop, I’d wait then try reverse and nothing would happen. Sometimes it would work and other times it wouldn’t.
I asked AE support why this was happening and they told me it was to protect the transmission. I understand that you don’t want to go forward and reverse right away but, why would it take so long for reverse to activate after the car had been at a full stop?
I’m waiting to hear back from them again. I thought that maybe I missed something in setting up the esc or the radio. Does anyone else know what might be the problem?
When will then be now?
Soon.

AVguy
Approved Member

Post by AVguy »

So, I went to turn on the car and noticed that I had left the battery terminals plugged into the esc. It’s been a couple of days since I left it there. The esc would not turn on. I tried to go charge the battery but it would not charge. I have the charging cable plugged in correctly. Did I kill the battery by leaving it plugged in? Is there a way to fix this?
Sorry for always posting problems.
When will then be now?
Soon.

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

If the battery is below the low voltage threshold, most lipo chargers will not start.

This is something I've done in the past, however some may not agree with it. I hooked the lipo battery up to my old nicd quick charger for about 5 minutes. This raised the voltage of the pack up above the lipo charger's threshold and allowed the pack to be charged.

AVguy
Approved Member

Post by AVguy »

Thanks, I’ll try that. Aside from not leaving the cables plugged in, how do you keep this from happening when driving the car?
When will then be now?
Soon.

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

AVguy wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:23 pm Thanks, I’ll try that. Aside from not leaving the cables plugged in, how do you keep this from happening when driving the car?
Don't store your battery with it discharged. Storing them fully charged for more than a couple days isn't good either.

Better chargers actually have a storage charge mode.

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

Lipos have so much capacity that you should be able to get a great runtime before even being close to discharged. Once you see the battery performance hit a significant change, stop at that point and recharge or if not using again, run the charger in storage mode. It will charge the cells to a safe storage voltage.

AVguy
Approved Member

Post by AVguy »

juicedcoupe wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:17 pm If the battery is below the low voltage threshold, most lipo chargers will not start.

This is something I've done in the past, however some may not agree with it. I hooked the lipo battery up to my old nicd quick charger for about 5 minutes. This raised the voltage of the pack up above the lipo charger's threshold and allowed the pack to be charged.
That worked! I charged it for a couple of minutes and that was enough to jump start it. Thanks for the tip! I thought I would need to buy a new battery.
I checked the manual for my charger and it didn’t say anything about a storage charge mode.
Do I need to buy a new charger or can I get by without it?
If not, any recommendations for one that won’t break the bank?
When will then be now?
Soon.

coxbros1

Post by coxbros1 »

juicedcoupe wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:17 pm If the battery is below the low voltage threshold, most lipo chargers will not start.

I do that too if it gets too low
Tap pic for clarity: Derek

coxbros1

Post by coxbros1 »

AVguy wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:02 pm

Do I need to buy a new charger or can I get by without it?
If not, any recommendations for one that won’t break the bank?
This is ac/dc, 10amp, has all the protection features....just what the doctor ordered, plus it will keep u from burning down your house, lipos can be scary

https://www.ebay.com/itm/293945415354
Tap pic for clarity: Derek

TheDiamondOne
Approved Member

Post by TheDiamondOne »

https://www.amazon.com/Charger-Battery-Balance-Discharger-Li-ion/dp/B08C592PNV

Also, u can set cutoff voltage to auto or 3.0v per cell in esc and run it till it suts off with no worries.
David, The artist formerly known as coxbros