My Ultima 2019

The place for all things re-release Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

XLR8
Approved Member

Re: My Ultima 2019

Post by XLR8 »

"I finished the D bag yesterday. Yes, I am an immature turd that still giggles when I say D bag," :lol:

Yeah, applying stickers used to frustrate the heck out of me until I found a technique that I've subsequently learned others have been using for years.
Cut the sticker out completely with backing paper still intact.
Position the sticker on the body and temporarily paste it in place using some small pieces of masking tape.
Lift one corner, peel the backing off partially and snip the backing off that corner.
Carefully press that corner of the sticker in place against the body (this step locks the position of the sticker).
Remove the masking tape, lift the remaining sticker and remove the remaining backing paper.
While holding the sticker away from the body, begin to roll it down to the body starting from that first corner and press it down as you go so that air doesn't become trapped.

It takes some practice and a lot of patience but this technique works pretty well. :D
Doug

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

wet and soap up the body, then put the sticker down. Adjust the position sliding it in place and press out any caught air.Ten leave it to dry up

Biz73
Approved Member

Post by Biz73 »

XLR8 wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:54 pm "I finished the D bag yesterday. Yes, I am an immature turd that still giggles when I say D bag," :lol:

Yeah, applying stickers used to frustrate the heck out of me until I found a technique that I've subsequently learned others have been using for years.
Cut the sticker out completely with backing paper still intact.
Position the sticker on the body and temporarily paste it in place using some small pieces of masking tape.
Lift one corner, peel the backing off partially and snip the backing off that corner.
Carefully press that corner of the sticker in place against the body (this step locks the position of the sticker).
Remove the masking tape, lift the remaining sticker and remove the remaining backing paper.
While holding the sticker away from the body, begin to roll it down to the body starting from that first corner and press it down as you go so that air doesn't become trapped.

It takes some practice and a lot of patience but this technique works pretty well. :D
I used to do something similar where I would cut a strip out of the backing so I could line up the sticker and hold it in place. Then I would peel each side and slowly roll it out with no bubbles. A few years ago I had brain surgery and my hands shake a bit. I tried to do it on the dash controls, but I cut the sticker in half. Then I had a hard time placing both halves without looking like it was cut :lol: Mostly I'm just frustrated because my hands shake and I can't help it. I have my 70+ year old step-dad come over to solder stuff for me because I just sit there with wire and solder shaking back and forth but not touching each other.
First world problems. I'm pretty sure putting stickers on my RC isn't going to kill me so I should be good :D

Biz73
Approved Member

Post by Biz73 »

Mr. ED wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:09 pm wet and soap up the body, then put the sticker down. Adjust the position sliding it in place and press out any caught air.Ten leave it to dry up
I actually tried it, but maybe I didn't we it enough because once the sticker touched it didn't move unless I peeled it back.

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

dish washing soap?

Biz73
Approved Member

Post by Biz73 »

Mr. ED wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:52 am dish washing soap?
I think I didn't spray enough on. I used dish washing soap. I didn't know how wet to spray the body and didn't want to use too much and ruin the stickers. I should watch a Youtube vid about it so I can see how it's done properly.

Biz73
Approved Member

Post by Biz73 »

I built the shocks today. They sure are purdy :D Tomorrow is electronics time!

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

Cool! So did the shock gaskets cause you much trouble?
Doug

Biz73
Approved Member

Post by Biz73 »

XLR8 wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:49 pm Cool! So did the shock gaskets cause you much trouble?
I built them up and came in the house to eat dinner. I'll let you know when I go out and check on them later :lol:

Biz73
Approved Member

Post by Biz73 »

My shocks are not leaking! Good thing too, I left the esc and servo sitting directly underneath the chassis and they would have been well oiled if there was a leak :roll: Here's a pic of where I'm at so far.
ImageUltima chassis 2 by Justin B, on Flickr
Hopefully I can put in some more work later today.

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

Looks great.
What do you think of the build so far - any issues?
I've had a close look at those new molded shock towers. Although they're not stamped aluminum plates like the originals, they are beautifully designed little works of art -- and provide a sure way to distinguish a re-re from an original.
Doug

Biz73
Approved Member

Post by Biz73 »

The build has been pretty trouble free so far. There are a couple spots where it would be easy to miss a spacer or something but that's more just paying close attention to the illustrations. The one "problem" I have run into is that the manual shows that the steering assembly(step 15) can use bearings, and lists 4 bearings, but there was only a place for 2 of them. There are 2 flanged bearings that can be added in step( 16, but they are listed in that step. I have the 5x8x2.5 bearings so I added the 2, but if there is a spot for the other 2 please point it out to me.

Biz73
Approved Member

Post by Biz73 »

Oh yeah, the shock towers. They seem really nicely done and should be plenty strong. Yes, it does make it easier to tell a re-re from an original.

TheDiamondOne
Approved Member

Post by TheDiamondOne »

I am doing one currently, shock gaskets are leaking! Need help please?
David, The artist formerly known as coxbros

Biz73
Approved Member

Post by Biz73 »

coxbros wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:52 pm I am doing one currently, shock gaskets are leaking! Need help please?
I used Protek Premier Blue o-ring grease when I built them up. 2 days and no leaks so far.