Racing the vintage! 1st race

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Tadracket
Approved Member

Re: Racing the vintage! 1st race

Post by Tadracket »

MOmo wrote:Blue Groove, AFAIK, is high traction track designed with packed clay or dirt. The track has distinct lines that wear into the course and create a "groove". On many other tracks, with loomy or loos conditions, its hard to maintain the same line, or ideal line. I could be waaaay off on this, but thats what it seems to me.

Strangely, BLUE-GROOVE isn't in Wikipedia!

As for racing, just be aware, if they are doing an exhibition class, most of the 2wd will likely be more modern cars. not sure if the vintage you have in mind will be able to hang. Not to mention it could turn into a hack-fest.

I personally would LOVE to run a vintage graphite RC10 in a stock buggy class w/ modern elec. and see it do well. I would hate to have to find replacements though should it break.

MOmo
Cool, thanks. I will no doubt be out classed. The goal is not to win, but try to get into the local scene. I have no one to run with but there are those out there that would if I only knew them.

I am building my brother a car and trading my B3 back to the nephew that I got it from. He thought he wanted a Zen but realized the RC10 is much more fun. I knew this would happen and planned on it.

We may be 3 of only a few 2wheel drive electrics there. The last time I went, there were not many. But that was a year ago. Who knows. As for parts, I have plenty of spares. I will not be running my nicer cars, just a basher.
He's an idiot. Comes from upbringing. His parents are probably idiots too.

MOmo
Approved Member

Post by MOmo »

So I finally got moved and I need to work on making a workspace for my RC stuff. I don't know how quickly it will happen, but I want to start thinking ahead and get my current Vintage racer updated, perhaps to a Worlds configuration.

Im working on getting a 2nd Team car which I plan to keep relatively nice and probably remain more of a shelf queen. The one I have been racing, I want to update and make some subtle changes to which I hope will make it a bit more competitive, while still saving some of that fancy white plastic.

I know there are some parts still available to order, and I don't mind doing so, (unless anyone has spares) but I was planning on trying to find some black plastic/nylon parts (RPM arms for sure) but not sure about the availability of the other stuff.

I'm still kinda new to the vintage stuff and some of you might be able to point me in the right direction as well for some parts.

-Is it too much to ask how much of the "black" plastic parts are available?
-Are BLACK caster blocks still available?
-How many of the B3 parts cross over?
-How hard is it to source WORLDS parts, and is it worth it?
-Wide front arms? this would improve handling correct?
-How do RPM arms differ from the "worlds" arms?
-Are certain parts more critical than others?

This is going to be a Racer, so Im cautious about dumping a ton of replacement parts on it if they are hard to locate.

MOmo

Reilloc

Post by Reilloc »

im gonna jump in on this topic for a bit, i am kind of new to the oregon area. I live down in salem. Only thing i go up to portland for is to go down to the navy reserve center down off of swan island. I have a couple of questions, hopefully you guys can help me out.

1. Where is this track located?
2. You know where i can find spare parts for the rc10t? or am i limited to evilbay.com?

your help is much appreciated.

MOmo
Approved Member

Post by MOmo »

I got your PM, Good to know there are other OR folks out there.

The track is: http://www.amainraceway.com

I think there are SOME parts available. If you have a catalog, there are some parts that you can still order. Some LHSs should be able to find some stuff. I may have some spares as well.
There is a LHS w/ a box of old parts, though i haven't been in for a while. What are you looking for?

Update:

Team car has been retired in favor a graphite rc10 (thanks James). Its under the knife and undergoing surgery to make it race ready. I hope to have it complete soon. Im still trying to get the pics from my friends.

MOmo