Red Fox - A Modern Classic

The place for all things Tamiya.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

transamman908
Approved Member

Re: Red Fox - A Modern Classic

Post by transamman908 »

This is turning out great Charles! Your gearset is in route and should be there soon :wink:
If things seem under control, you are just not going fast enough.

CNA75
Approved Member

Post by CNA75 »

A further update on this build. I've managed to dig out and fit my original NIP RC10 dog bones to the drive train. I've also sourced the correct size of bearings to fit a set of gold five spoke Lohas (bearing size is (flanged) 5mm x 8mm x 2mm, if anyone is interested). The rear tyres fitted are new Schumachers which were available at the time the fox was released (Schumacher still make them, thankfully). The front tyres are new and made by a company called "Dynamite" - these are also original fox tyres. And to top it all off, I've used my NIP Tecnacraft quick release wing mounts for the purposes of fitting the new Dirt Burners Fox aluminium wing. I have an original new Fox shell to fit but want to do a dummy run with a TBG version first. The TBG shell is currently in the post so fitting will have to wait until it arrives.

To those that are interested, I hope you agree that the buggy is really starting to take shape now. I'm really rather pleased about how it is starting to look. Worthy of a "modern classic"?
IMG_4217.JPG
IMG_4220.JPG
IMG_4212.JPG
IMG_4209.JPG
A close up of the Tecnacraft Wing mounts....:
IMG_4218.JPG

SMOKE-DOG
Approved Member

Post by SMOKE-DOG »

That's sick. The wheels really set it off.

losiXXXman
Approved Member

Post by losiXXXman »

This car is too cool. I'm assuming that it will never see a track, but if it did... I wasn't in to RC when people were racing SRBs Fox Wild Ones and such, and because of that I have a real interest in acquiring some of those Pre-RC10 racers and running them. (I know the Fox was a RC10 contemporary actually.) I was donated a Red Prince Frog chassis, but haven't started the build or collecting too much for it yet. Would love a Fox too (Stock even), but the demand is keeping them out of my reach for the moment. Sorry for writing a book on your thread - Really great car though!!!

Falcon#5

Post by Falcon#5 »

That chassis looks awesome!

I can't wait to see it finished. 8)

emerson_shih
Approved Member

Post by emerson_shih »

Wow~ what a great fit! The fox looks more powerful now! 8)
Too early to know 'bormac', too late to know 'mrlexan', just in time to know 'murphy3428'.
http://www.rc-lohas.com

mrlexan
Approved Member

Post by mrlexan »

Looking good fo-sho!
I am not here cause I am playing photographer and on my mountain bike.
www.gojammedia.com

fredswain
Approved Member

Post by fredswain »

My friend has an old Hot Trick Hotshot and I think it is the single ugliest conversion ever made. This one however is downright gorgeous! How does the stock body fit on this? What are you going to use for battery mounts? RC10 pieces? I am currently rebuilding/restoring a Fox as I missed my original car that is long gone. I have been buying parts rather than a complete car so one can be resurrected back into existence. I am going to have lots of spare parts. I may have to build one of these too.
Raborn Racing Originals Shapeways store

CNA75
Approved Member

Post by CNA75 »

So I received my TBG Fox repro shell this week. The quality isn't bad - it's not as good as Mr Lexan's but it will certainly do. I spent this morning cutting it down to fit the chassis (it still has the outer paint protection film on for now). I'm not a fan of the Red Fox shell and I reckon the original looks a lot better on the chassis. It maintains the sleekness of the Fox, which is so characteristic of the car. There are some pictures below with the shell fitted. If I were to run the car, I'd use velcro strips along the chassis side brackets to fix the shell too. Additionally, it would be necessary to drill an extra hole into the centre of the chassis in order to fit a body mount. Quite an easy job and I have a new set of the Parma Fox adjustable body mounts which I could use. However, I'm still debating whether this car will ever make it to the road.

When photographing the car, I was struck by just how competitive and race-worthy it looks. I appreciate that I have various hop-ups on the car, however, they are all period Fox hop-ups so are totally in keeping with the times. The Fox was released in October '85, I believe, and when compared to its peers in that year I really think the Hot Trick Fox chassis design was very innovative and forward-looking. To me the design looks like it is at least 2-3 years ahead of its time - it would fit right in with cars which were released in the late 80s. Perhaps it is arguable that it looks more advanced than the RC10 gold pan in that respect. Certainly, it is a credit to Hot Trick even though some of their designs were very questionable. I would certainly be interested to hear others' views about other cars that were released in '85 (or earlier) which resemble such a race-worthy forward-looking design (RC10 gold pan aside). Personally, none spring to mind.....
IMG_4221.JPG
IMG_4223.JPG
IMG_4224.JPG
IMG_4230.JPG
IMG_4222.JPG

tiger1
Approved Member

Post by tiger1 »

This fox looks fast even in picture :D

Nice wheels too.

Der Kommissar
Approved Member

Post by Der Kommissar »

CNA75, nice work. I have one of these as well, but it's running the RC10/Composit Craft front end. I'd love to switch it over.
If it isn't broke, I haven't driven it yet.

emerson_shih
Approved Member

Post by emerson_shih »

OMG, this is the most beautiful Red Fox I have seen. :shock:
I don't evan know the original fox body fits that perfect! :oops:
Too early to know 'bormac', too late to know 'mrlexan', just in time to know 'murphy3428'.
http://www.rc-lohas.com

CNA75
Approved Member

Post by CNA75 »

Thanks for the comments, Emerson. The standard Fox shell fits fine over the chassis and due to the pre-cut mould having the expanded sides (which you don't cut for the Red Fox) there should be no problem with fitting a battery width-ways either. The only creative part is securing the shell to the chassis. Velcro strips on each side should help considerably but it will be necessary to add custom mounts via additionally (drilled) holes in the chassis. They won't be noticeable though from the outside so should not impact on the great looks! 8)

Tuff240
Approved Member

Post by Tuff240 »

It's cool they repop'd a few of these. This looks awesome. I wish I would have known, I'd have bought one to store in a box next to my og stuff. :P

Where did you get the body from?

Small note: Your rear lower shock mounts are supposed to be on top of the arm and not hanging below the arm.
-Patrick
Cars I collect... 959's, The Fox and Schumacher 2wd buggies. All the stuff I grew up with!