paint step by step how to any interest?

Show off your paintwork, tips/tricks, decals, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

87fierogt
Approved Member

Re: paint step by step how to any interest?

Post by 87fierogt »

i got this truck almost stripped of old enamel(im use laquer primer,white base,and body color) i used easy off(thanks shodog!) and i had to fix a back corner that was cracked and almost falling i used jb weld quick and it worked just like i thought and is hard as a rock i sanded it down smoothed it out and isnt noticeable at all. im working on getting my hands on a camera(for this and the motors) before i start to lay paint other then a guide coat of primer. once everything is completly stripped i will hit it with laquer thinner after i use an sos pad. this clod buster body will soon look like new and an awsome one at at that.b
im gonna shoot one more coat of easy off tonight to get inbetween the cab and bed and on the panels in the bed. every white coat will be be wet sanded with 800 grit and the final white coat will be sanded with 1000.
ill shoot a light mist coat of the house of kolors paint followed by as many light coats as i can get out of the can and if its no dark enough or covered evenly i will order another can of it.
i shaved the marker lights,door handles and the center strip on the hood.

although it totally depends on how the truck looks on the last color coat before clear will determine if the door trim,windsheid trim,etc if i do end up doing it any one have any tips im hoping someone has some tricks that i do not know. i just shot the tailgate/light fronts/and some detail pieces(i want the owner to see it first) in primer and white base coat..
ill update this daily and im working on getting a digi camera

thanks and any questions pm me ill be glad to anwser
alex
speed r/c taking car of all your rebuilds/restore/used and new custom builds/and anything in between pm me for quotes and`pics of previous builds

87fierogt
Approved Member

Post by 87fierogt »

its really starting to get underway the custom body mods such as shaved door handles,shaved marker lights,and shaved hood centerstrip are done.

i do have a question what would you reccoment to fix a broken piece/cracked that needs to be held almost all the way on for some reason jb weld quick isnt holding once its sanded it isnt stroner enough im afraid itll crack after paint during wetsanding

i had it shot in a house of kolor pearl color but ran out after the spare tailgate,roll bar lights/small parts,and hood scoop when i went to order more i find out its eaither discontinued/they dont stock it any more so now i had to pick another color but i like it better and its easyer to find. im gonna try calling in a favor to my buddy who airbrushes for a living im gonna get the member whos body it is father's name on it in most likly ghoast lettering or in something else since he has terminal cancer and i think its a nice touch im hoping to have this done and out the door by the weekend. if my buddy is booked solid im gonna bust out the 600$ gun ive had forever and see if i still have the nack for it i use to. itll be badass whatever it ends up as. its a SICK color but yet classy i got my hands on a camera so im gonna start the pictures when the bodys all ready for primer
speed r/c taking car of all your rebuilds/restore/used and new custom builds/and anything in between pm me for quotes and`pics of previous builds

murphy3428
Approved Member

Post by murphy3428 »

use a 2 part appoxy for cracks that will hold on the hard plastic bodies

87fierogt
Approved Member

Post by 87fierogt »

thats what my pops said also the only 2 part i have is shitty as it drys sticky and is flexible imma go grab some tomorrow or mon any tips on what brand? i was gonna give the plastic rod in model cement a shot. i am really surprised that jb weld didnt hold i just need something solid so i can sand it smooth or use filler over it

87fierogt
Approved Member

Post by 87fierogt »

i wanted to say thanks for the epoxy idea it worked and is strong as a rock although the back of the panel is ugly but the person whos body it is doesnt mind since it is holding fine. i then instead of taking a skim coat of body filler to it i took a very thin coat of jb weld quick and sanded it down now its even stronger then before/stronger then bondo and you cant even tell it was there!
look for pictures of what i started with and now with all the paint off,marker lights shaved,hood center strip shaved,and door handles almost shaved just need to do final sanding it really smoothed everything out. once painted i will be getting a qoute for getting the trim airbrushed/painted from guys in my area it shouldnt be much at all since i already have the paint. i just dont feel confertable shooting the trim as i dont wanna start all over again if i happen to slip since i havnt painted/airbrushed stuff that thin in FOREVER.

ive been having bad luck every color i start to use i go to get more and its out of stock or not made anymore so i went and got more then enough paint to shoot everything body,rollbar lights and small pieces,hood scoop,tailgate and more. now the real progress is going to be made the crack was holding me up now i just gotta sand/wetsand to get all the sanded marks from the jb weld out and then get her in primer
ill have pics tomorrow