Forum News & Discussion

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Lowgear
Administrator

Re: Forum News & Discussion

Post by Lowgear »

How unfortunate. :| There's too many variables involved for this to have a chance of working properly it seems like. There's the board, Cloudflare, the server, and the hoster as a whole that the messages have to travel through. Then there's whatever the end users email provider is. They all point their finger at the other as to who the culprit is. Luckily it's not something that's detrimental at all to the forum. It's just a mere inconvenience.

As of this moment, I feel the board settings are configured properly, so there has to be somewhere else where the issue lies. It started before implementing Cloudflare so I'm thinking it's a problem on our hosting companies end. I'll contact them again to see what they have to say. Although the last time I did about this a few days ago, they gave me the wrong information. :roll:

BattleTrak
Approved Member

Post by BattleTrak »

I’m getting email notifications now. Always had it turned on but never received any until now.
-Brad

R6cowboy

Post by R6cowboy »

I also received an email notification of the PM I got today.
-Jerry-

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

Well that's certainly good news. :) I don't know if it's every going to work 100% flawlessly, but it should work better now than it ever has before at least.

My main hope is that all members receive the email when they initiate a password change now. Before it was random as to who got one, and who didn't. That was the biggest problem this was causing as I had to constantly deal with changing passwords manually for members as a result.

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

I just realized while making some PM space that there's a 400 message limit for inbox, a separate 400 message limit for sent, and another 400 message limit for outbox. I thought it was just a 400 message limit for everything. It would be really interesting to hit that outbox limit. No messages getting read by anyone, or everyone trying to read them already having a full inbox?
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

The story with that is there's only one setting for everything. You can't choose separate numbers for each individually. You would think there should be but nope.

I don't know why I settled on 400. I think it was originally set at 100, and people were complaining. I probably figured I'd raise it to 400! Who would need to keep that many PMs?! I'm currently at 395 with them dating back 15 years. :lol:

I really need to go through all of mine to clean it out.

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

There's been some recent discussions here lately about eBay's poor practices, and alternatives. I received an email through the boards contact form inquiring about creating an account just to use the B/S/T section. I routinely get these types of messages. People who want to create an account just to sell their stuff or want to access it before reaching the required number of posts. This got me to thinking... Maybe we should have two separate B/S/T sections. One for members with something like 0-100 posts, and another for members with 101 and over posts. The numbers could be anything, and we'd also have to change the user group names but maybe it's a good idea?

Dangeruss
Approved Member

Post by Dangeruss »

I would say not a good idea. Begs to question the value of anyone who wants to buy or sell on a site but doesn't want to meet its minimum criteria. There are already sites with no criteria to enter their B/S/T section and all of them have endless scammer threads. RC10TALK doesn't have that... food for thought...

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

That's why I figured I'd ask. Suggested rule changes with it have been brought up at various points throughout the years but never this particular idea. But yeah, it opens ourselves up to too many scams and upset people, even though the dealings were at their own risk. Thanks for the feedback! :)

BattleTrak
Approved Member

Post by BattleTrak »

I would like to keep that stuff out.. we all have our eBay searches for what we want. The trusted BST between us members is nice!
-Brad

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

Lowgear wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 1:30 am I'm contemplating making sub-forums for Tamiya and Kyosho's re-releases as well but not sure if it's worth it though.

As seen in the above quote from last November, I created re-release sub-forums for a few manufactures but was contimplating doing Tamiya. Well I just made one for them now. I've been hesitant to do it for the fact that Tamiya re-releases vs vintage originals are a bit of a grey area.

TRX-1-3

Post by TRX-1-3 »

Hey wow just realized I joined up here 10 years ago. Thank you to all members, past and present, for making and continuing to make this place so great!

Not sure if that's "forum news", and I should have just let the date pass quietly. But then I would have had nothing to preface my random "thank you" with. Anyway.

THANK YOU!
Hope you're doin' something fun.

LowClassCC
Approved Member

Post by LowClassCC »

Lowgear wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 4:08 pm There's been some recent discussions here lately about eBay's poor practices, and alternatives. I received an email through the boards contact form inquiring about creating an account just to use the B/S/T section. I routinely get these types of messages. People who want to create an account just to sell their stuff or want to access it before reaching the required number of posts. This got me to thinking... Maybe we should have two separate B/S/T sections. One for members with something like 0-100 posts, and another for members with 101 and over posts. The numbers could be anything, and we'd also have to change the user group names but maybe it's a good idea?
I would have to say no. If a user wants to use the b\s\t section they need to be willing to support the site in some way. either by joining in and posting, donating to the site, or becoming a business member. these people are just wanting to reap the benefits of our community for free. there are other sites and other forums that they can do this with. i love the fact that if someone posts something for sell here i don't have to worry if it's legit or not.

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

When adding attachments to a post, it would sometimes place unnecessary information underneath such as the filename, size, and view count. That extra 'fluff' has now been removed from displaying.

Also, graphical links to our social media profiles which scr8p thankfully handles, along with a donation and SetupsPlus site link have been added to the bottom of the board.

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

Since yesterday, site speed has been excessively slow. I wasn't overly concerned about it as it occasionally happens and then clears up.

It's been over 24 hours now, and still hasn't improved any so I checked the server monitor which indicated max load. History tells me we're potentially experiencing another traffic related attack. I checked our Cloudflare account, and it seems this time the problem is emanating from the US. I set it so all US traffic has to go through an automatic managed challenge before entering the site. It seems to have fixed the problem as the server load and slowness has now been greatly reduced. :)