Difference between re-re 6 gear parts and originals

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

isaidme
Approved Member

Difference between re-re 6 gear parts and originals

Post by isaidme »

Hello, I just purchased my first gold pan restoration project and had a few questions specifically about rebuilding the transmission. I have not cracked it open yet but I have a sneaking suspicion that it was "rode hard and put up wet" many years ago. My first question is, if need be can I use internal parts from the re release kit and put them in an old case as I read these had slight differences? Second after a little research I have read about using different center gears, the black ones are more desirable but there were after market companies like Thorpe that made quality replacements. I have the opportunity to buy 48p set and a top shaft gear thats 48p to match? Thanks

juicedcoupe

Re: Difference between re-re 6 gear parts and originals

Post by juicedcoupe »

The original and re-re parts are compatible.

The Thorp gears must be used as a full size, including outdrives.
Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.

isaidme
Approved Member

Post by isaidme »

Thank you!

JosephS

Post by JosephS »

isaidme wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:18 am Hello, I just purchased my first gold pan restoration project and had a few questions specifically about rebuilding the transmission. I have not cracked it open yet but I have a sneaking suspicion that it was "rode hard and put up wet" many years ago. My first question is, if need be can I use internal parts from the re release kit and put them in an old case as I read these had slight differences? Second after a little research I have read about using different center gears, the black ones are more desirable but there were after market companies like Thorpe that made quality replacements. I have the opportunity to buy 48p set and a top shaft gear thats 48p to match? Thanks
The new rc10 cc parts are compatible as well.

The old part numbers are
"6613 are the white idlers. 6614 are the black delrin ones"

Thread on the black idler release dates

Associated reused the old part number 6613 for the new idlers.

I hope that soon AE will release for sale the metal parts issued with the rc10CC. I built my CC with 6 gear pieces from my parts box. People on this board have found replacements for most parts on McMaster Carr. It'll be great to get the diff tube teflon bushings, thrust bearing plates and outdrive felt seals straight from AE.

JosephS

Post by JosephS »

isaidme wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:18 am Hello, I just purchased my first gold pan restoration project and had a few questions specifically about rebuilding the transmission. I have not cracked it open yet but I have a sneaking suspicion that it was "rode hard and put up wet" many years ago. My first question is, if need be can I use internal parts from the re release kit and put them in an old case as I read these had slight differences? Second after a little research I have read about using different center gears, the black ones are more desirable but there were after market companies like Thorpe that made quality replacements. I have the opportunity to buy 48p set and a top shaft gear thats 48p to match? Thanks
It's also possible to find hand made steel idlers. They are made from cut down drive gears. The original white idler gears could be fine. The biggest challenge with them will be the tiny screws that hold the bearings into the idlers. They are very hard to take out. As well it is easy for those small screws to be over torqued. This distorts the shape of the idler.

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

There's also this option to build a new gearbox with parts that are still in production

https://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?t=48779&sid=327786f6b725474271eaa4717709c33f
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"

isaidme
Approved Member

Post by isaidme »

Frankentruck wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 3:44 pm There's also this option to build a new gearbox with parts that are still in production

https://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?t=48779&sid=327786f6b725474271eaa4717709c33f

Yeah I have run across several companies making reproduction moldings which I think is great especially for those wanting to race these in vintage classes where parts break. Going to try to stick with original stuff as much as possible.